Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:41 PM

https://www.bbc.com/...siness-45702609

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:58 AM

But, of course!

Another win for an administration that treats our sovereignty as a business and not that of litigated hoax where an advantageous outcome would somehow upset the global apple cart.

Don't forget that besides the EU and Mexico, the administration has also renegotiated a new trade deal with South Korea as well.

China is next...but they made it very clear that will wait until after the mid terms as if this will actually make a difference to the outcome.

All we heard from shyster lawyers and political activists that  it couldn't be done, so why even try? Self serving imbeciles.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 01 October 2018 - 05:00 AM.

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

There's little change in NAFTA or other trade deals.  Trump is egotistical and wants to put his name on the same treaties all over again to sell them as accomplishments.  There is a 3-month delay between announcing tariffs and actual imposition.  He is using the tariffs for the election, but the effects on rising prices and lost exports won't come until after the election.  China is a long game and has to do with geopolitics of the global trade system centered around the US, China's dominance in Asia, and the pushback against Eurasia integration.

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

There's little change in NAFTA or other trade deals. 

Having just read the bullet points of the changes, I overwhelmingly disagree with your biased assessment.

Jared Kushner seems to have a heavy hand in many of the successful deals so far...both with trade and politically;

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#5 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

I don't care about Kushner and don't agree with his politics.   You couldn't state what actual changes would occur to trade.  The baseline for the wage on cars is essentially the same as the starting wage for new workers negotiated with the US carmakers  and their unions when they had to be rescued by the government.  It will raise prices for cars along with the tariffs on metals that stay in place but aren't mentioned as part of the agreement. NAFTA took four years to negotiate.  The changes bulleted in the newspapers were rather short as one would expect due to the brevity of the negotiations..

Edited by Data, 01 October 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#6 typicalbear

typicalbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Bloomberg refers to the deal as a "rebranding" of the old deal. Lots of boasting at rallies and news events, like this: U.S.Steel denies

opening 6, 7 and, lately, even 8 new plants as claimed by the administration. Google it. IMHO these trade deals are going to  inflate and slow growth.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

NAFTA took four years to negotiate.

Yes, because you were dealing with shyster lawyers that had absolutely no business experience...and who were lobbied in creating the framework of the "deal" with the foundational belief that being the richest nation on the planet, the United States should give up more to provide better global "parity". Besides the headline sectors of both the auto and metals that you've mentioned, you also had significant changes to the farming/dairy industries and other areas as well. The Canadian press has done a much better job of reporting on this, so I'll include these links for further review: http://tinyurl.com/y72gsmyv

http://tinyurl.com/y92ex5kp

And for Typicalbear...you may want to search out more fair minded media outlets than Bloomberg who has always had a negative spin on anything Trump. In fact, I hear that Bloomberg himself is thinking of running for President as a Democrat for 2020. Seek out balance in reporting and not supposition otherwise you'll be caught in group think which, be extension, will always keep you on the wrong side the markets.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 01 October 2018 - 01:52 PM.