Margin debt desperation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

I gotta say, as a day trader, I'm beginning to wonder if this is the most bearish bull market ever - gap it up overnight with futures, sell it down all day.

I suspect this could be a sign some big boys are desperately trying to slip out of the market without anyone noticing, but what do I know about such machinations?

P.S. This is not bothering me all that much since these days it's either today's calls or in today's puts or in one then the other, like today.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:30 PM

Something is terribly wrong with Short's data, through August ? Look at SPX, it was at ATH's end of August.

#3 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

It would probably be down if not for the FAANGs and their $ 1 trillion buybacks from the repatriated profits.  There is most often a split between the FAANGs and the rest of the market which keeps the losses small (and perhaps a little help from foreign central banks buying stock to prevent 1 percent declines).  Some days, the FAANG sell off and the rest of the SPX rallies, and the reverse occurs as well.

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

I wonder who is buying the dips? 

BOTS or the retail crowd? 

#5 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

Retail doesn't buy dips, they buy breakouts, it's most likely PPT Trump campaign driven.