Photo

The "Indiscriminate Selling" Phase towards final PANIC phase?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

I really don't think so; in fact, I am looking for a fairly quick bounce up to the what I consider the market's equilibrium level: SPX 2780.

In addition, I don't think we will ever see market crashes like that of 2008, 1987 etc; the powers will not allow this and there are many circuit breakers & other mechanisms to prevent those types of crashes. 

Remember also that even the most remote hint of a change in FED policy, even a hint of consideration of a change in policy will end this decline and send the markets soaring, at lest for a week or two or longer. 

But, there are other opinions; this is an extremely interesting one:

Okay here’s what’s going on

Courtesy of Joshua M Brown

I don’t have any empiricism to attach to my remarks below. There’s no evidence for anything I’m about to say here, which is rare for this blog, but whatever I’m saying it because I think this is what’s going on…

This week marks the ninth week of the correction that began in US stocks during the week of September 17th. So we’re now more than two full months from making new highs. It’s weighing on sentiment. Boredom giving way to worry, worry to fear, fear to, well, we’re not at panic yet. The instant gratification of buying a big growth stock or tech name and watching it go vertical stopped working this summer. Facebook is almost cut in half. Netflix is down from the highs but only now beginning to vomit all over itself. That game is over.

faang.png

My feeling (LOL, “feeling”) is that today things have changed and entered a new phase. Indiscriminate selling. Last week and the week before there seemed to have been some rhyme or reason for what was going down, and how much. Today is the first day of this thing, in my best guess, that professionals are selling things just to be able to show their investors that they’re doing something. It’s a new phase, we hadn’t quite had the time to get to this phase during the October thrust lower or the January correction for that matter.

And so you get the Nasdaq down 3%, the Dow and S&P 500 down 2%, Russell 2000 down etc. People who report to investors need to show that they’d anticipated at least some of this. Today they’re taking that step to allow themselves to do so. This sort of thing feeds on itself because money managers are herd animals when it comes to career preservation, even if they fancy themselves to be “contrarians” when it comes to selecting stocks or weighting portfolios. The one thing it’s impossible to be contrarian about is the fact that you’ll be fired for sitting still if that’s not the expectation you’ve sold to a client. No one wants the other side of that trade.

There’s a silver lining to this new environment. No one is carrying on about whether your ETF costs 3 basis points or 5 basis points anymore. Or whether or not financial advice is earning its keep. Investors who’ve got advisors that have positioned them durably for this kind of scenario are happier than those investors who’ve prioritized prices over process.

Asset allocation is free, but advice has a cost – to both the recipient as well as the provider. This cost is counted in dollars, time, emotion, technology, empathy and attention. It’s a cost wealthy people have been savvy enough to incur since the beginning of time.

It’s how they’ve stayed wealthy.

https://www.philstoc...-whats-going-on

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:54 AM

Contrarian indicator: time to BUY now or soon:

https://www.cnbc.com...-are-fixed.html

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

More Contrarian stuff: when the crowd says sell....then look to buy

When they say stocks are in a bear market, that means stocks are down by 20 or more % from the high! That's a time to look for BUY candidates....

Look for that reversal today or tomorrow:

The five most important tech stocks are getting slaughtered, with each down more than 20% from highs
  • Each of the five "FAANG" stocks closed in a bear market on Monday.
  • Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google-parent Alphabet have fallen steadily over the last 6 weeks.
  • Wall Street defines a bear market as a fall of 20 percent or more from a stock's 52-week high.

https://www.cnbc.com...ear-market.html

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

Fat lady isn’t singing bull market’s swan song—‘but if you listen closely you can hear her warming up’, says strategist

https://www.marketwa...gist-2018-11-19

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

Ray Dalio says it’s just like the 1930s for investors right now’

https://www.marketwa...-now-2018-11-20

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

Massive gloom & doom could send stocks down to a ST bottom today or tomorrow:

Note APPLE's new forecast price from GOLDMAN is not too far from current price:

Goldman slashes Apple price forecast, sees stock going nowhere for a year
  • Goldman Sachs reiterates its neutral rating on Apple and cut its price target to $182, down from $209. That implies 2 percent downside over the next year.
  • "In addition to weakness in demand for Apple's products in China ... it also looks like the balance of price and features in the iPhone XR may not have been well-received," Goldman wrote.

US trade war with China won't be ending anytime soon, and it is a big concern: CNBC CFO survey
  • Almost 75 percent of chief financial officers say U.S. trade policy will have a negative impact on their business over the next six months, according to the latest CNBC Global CFO Council survey.
  • European and Asia CFOs are the most concerned.
  • Concerns about the trade war with China have led to high disapproval ratings among corporate executives for President Donald Trump and his trade advisors, Peter Navarro and Robert Lighthizer.
  •  

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

Crypto crash continues: #Bitcoin drops another 7.5% to 4375 Dollar, with every other major digital coin down. The selloff coincides with a “hard fork” in Bitcoin Cash, the 4th-largest cryptocurrency.

DscaAORXQAAbKlb.jpg

#8 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

Looking for at least a 1.5K profit NQ day and try for a 2K if market cooperates; just need volatility and range!

Good start to the day.

Will buy QQQ calls to add to my JAN 155 QQQ call bought yesterday

#9 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Looking for at least a 1.5K profit NQ day and try for a 2K if market cooperates; just need volatility and range!

Good start to the day.

Will buy QQQ calls to add to my JAN 155 QQQ call bought yesterday

Perfect start to the day for a turnaround Tuesday as I've been saying lol!!  

#10 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Looks like their was a lot of brokerages setting guidance lower over night...   It is amazing how these guys guidance down 6 weeks late in order to try and save face..    Also many tech companies are guiding down...   This will drive the market lower for a couple days to a week.   Hopefully the rush of bad news will subside, so we can muster a bounce...