50 replies to this topic

#21 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

The FED screwed up?

Summary - What To Do

Given the indebtedness of the economy, public, and private, the pace of monetary tightening was far more aggressive than most investors realized. The impacts can be seen in the rate of deceleration in bank credit, bank assets, money supply, and the yield curve.

Given that monetary policy works with a lag, the impact was not seen immediately, allowing the S&P 500 to rise rapidly.

The surge in stock prices made the Federal Reserve tighten policy even more aggressively which we can empirically see is starting to slow the economy.

Even if the Federal Reserve stops tightening policy now, the effects of 2018 tightening are still going to ripple through the economy as the underlying economic conditions are much weaker than headline GDP suggests.

The market is responding to a slowing economy, not trade wars or hush money payments; those are sideshows.

Economic growth will continue to decelerate which should cause more volatility in the stock market.

What I have been telling members of EPB Macro Research since the summer of this year is to position for an environment in which growth and inflation are both decelerating. At EPB Macro Research, such an environment calls for an increased allocation to cash, an overweight position in defensive sectors such as utilities (XLU), a position in long-term bonds with the expectation of lower rates, and to avoid or short high growth, high momentum sectors such as technology (QQQ) (XLK) and bank stocks (KRE).

This positioning has resulted in a dramatic outperformance, so far, in Q4.

The Federal Reserve has pushed monetary policy too far. It makes sense that the market is rapidly pricing out future monetary tightening. There is a high probability that if the Fed raises rates in December, this will be the last hike of the economic cycle.

Even if no rate hike occurs, balance sheet reductions will still be running in the background, reducing excess reserves, putting further strain on the banking sector and perpetuating a deceleration in economic growth.

The Federal Reserve has already pushed too far.

https://seekingalpha...ve-far-now-late

#22 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

A Lonely Bull?

Why The Bears May Have It Completely Wrong

Dec. 13, 2018 12:50 PM ET

Summary

There are signs we are nearing a market bottom.

Technical indicators suggest a reversal.

Volume and volatility support that outlook.

Technical Reversal

Then, of course, there are technical patterns that also suggest the market may have put in a bottom. The S&P 500 has now tested technical support three times since the end of October at around 2,600. That technical pattern is called a triple bottom, a bullish reversal pattern.

Then, of course, there are trends that perhaps the relative strength index is also turning higher, and that too would be a bullish indicator.

Volatility

Even measures of volatility are telling us that there's a change in the broader market trend forming. The VIX index, which is a fear gauge, has failed once again at technical resistance around 26.50. The VIX has not been able to rise above that level since the beginning of March. It makes it a significant level of technical resistance.

Summary

It's never a good idea to look at any one data set in a vacuum. But instead, one needs to assess the entire landscape of what the market may be saying. I have been doing this long enough to know that just when the market feels like it can't get any worse, it's usually near the bottom. Which is precisely where I think the equity market is today.

https://seekingalpha...ompletely-wrong

#23 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

The FED may NOT raise rates on Wednesday?

That leads us to next week’s Federal Reserve meeting. In my opinion, the Fed has been overly concerned with the threat of higher inflation. So far, I just don’t see evidence that inflation is upon us. I should explain that central banks are, by their nature, very fearful of inflation. Given the history of central banking, that’s understandable.

The Federal Reserve meets again next week, and it looks like they’ll raise interest rates again. This would be the fourth rate hike this year, and the ninth of this cycle. I should caution that unlike previous rate hikes, Wall Street is not 100% convinced a rate hike is coming. According to the most recent futures prices, traders place the odds of a rate increase next week at 80%. So it’s widely expected, but not in the bag.

Also with this meeting, the Fed will update its economic projections for the coming few years. Going by the most recent projections, the Fed sees itself raising interest rates three times next year. I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Just look at the evidence. The dollar is doing well, the pound recently dropped to a 20-month low, and commodity prices are down. Inflation is well behaved and the housing market is jittery. I’m not sure if the Fed realizes it now, but their plans for 2019 are too much. At some point, the Fed will be forced to admit that we don’t need higher interest rates. The 10-year Treasury slipped to 2.85% earlier this week. That’s down 39 basis points since early November. I noticed that in the Seattle housing market, sales are down 20% from a year ago, while inventory is up 135%. (Of course, this is just one metro area.)

Here’s what’s happening. The stock market is getting nervous about economic growth for next year. That’s caused the spike in volatility that we’ve seen recently. The market is worried that higher rates are already damaging the economy, On Monday of this week, the S&P 500 got as low as 2,583.23. That’s the lowest intra-day mark since April 4.

Not only are we seeing that concern play out in the broad stock market, and at the long end of the bond market, but we’re seeing it in particular areas of the stock market. It’s exactly those high-risk and economically cyclical areas that are getting rolled. As I mentioned earlier, we saw new 52-week lows this week for the Energy, Financial and Industrial sectors. The areas doing the best (or falling the least) are those defensive areas like utilities and consumer staples.

It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that Church & Dwight (CHD) is our top-performing stock this year, with a gain of nearly 38%. Hormel Foods (HRL) is our second-best, with a gain of 25%. In other words, baking soda and Spam are the big winners this year. OK, they’re a lot more than that, but the key point is that these are business not impacted much by a recession.

Compare that with Wabtec (WAB), a stock I like. Shares of WAB are down 35% from their high, and the stock has closed lower the last eight days in a row. This is an important lesson for investors. Wabtec hasn’t done anything wrong in the last four months, except be a freight services company when that’s not what the market likes. All stocks, good and bad, hit bad parts of the cycle. Lately defensive names are in, and cyclical names are out. That trend may last until the Federal Reserve decides to face reality and chill out on interest rates. Now let’s take a look at our final Buy List earnings report for this year.

#24 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

Holger Zschaepitz @Schuldensuehner

Oops! Investors poured record $81bn into US money market funds this week as they withdrew a near-record $13bn from bond funds and >$46bn from US stock funds. Stampede signaled investors’ nervousness due to wild swings in stocks & evidence of slowing growth https://reut.rs/2LhZlax 

DufXoAdX4AELuEK.jpg
2:10 PM - 15 Dec 2018
More

Oops! Investors poured record $81bn into US money market funds this week as they withdrew a near-record $13bn from bond funds and >$46bn from US stock funds. Stampede signaled investors’ nervousness due to wild swings in stocks & evidence of slowing growth https://reut.rs/2LhZlax 

2:10 PM - 15 Dec 2018

Edited by dTraderB, 16 December 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#25 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

Don't necessarily agree with the timing of the low, but in general agreement with the rest:

Douglas Kass Retweeted joel segall

S&P hits low of 2200E in first half and ends the year with -10% loss. https://realinvestmentadvice.com/kass-my-15-surprises-for-2019/ 

Douglas Kass added,

joel segall @joelsegall
Replying to @DougKass @jimcramer and 2 others
Doug-you’re going to drive me to drink. How about SPX prediction for year in 2019?
3:02 PM - 15 Dec 2018

#26 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:32 AM

There is another crash.....that may not end in 2018....

Nouriel Roubini Retweeted David Gerard

These crypto lunatics have no clue about basic finance. Have they ever heard about mark-to-market pricing of your portfolio? In their world if one doesn't sell one's GE stock that plunged in value this year that isn't a loss as "you can't lose if you don't sell"! Sheer dementia!

Nouriel Roubini added,

David Gerard @davidgerard
"you can't lose if you don't sell" your car wasn't repossessed if you don't try to drive it your identity wasn't stolen if you don't look up your credit card bill your problems don't exist if you just keep your head in the sand
4:01 AM - 16 Dec 2018
Verified account @Nouriel
FollowFollow @Nouriel
More

Nouriel Roubini Retweeted Trolly McTrollface

Indeed they were all Ponzi schemes that are now unraveling!

Nouriel Roubini added,

Trolly McTrollface @Tr0llyTr0llFace
The whole crypto compost of garbage is just a boundless list of expenses with no revenues. It finances itself by selling virtual magic coins to idiots. If you don’t understand why these Ponzi coins keep falling in price, they’ll be happy so sell you some.
3:58 AM - 16 Dec 2018

#27 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

2019 levels, I agree 2200 is very doable,but I believe 3200 is also extremely likely next year, possibly during the first quarter. I finished up all my buying on Friday and I’m 95% Long and heading on vacation for remainder of 2018. No trading, just holding long and traveling.

#28 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

2019 levels, I agree 2200 is very doable,but I believe 3200 is also extremely likely next year, possibly during the first quarter. I finished up all my buying on Friday and I’m 95% Long and heading on vacation for remainder of 2018. No trading, just holding long and traveling.

I have also added to my LT portfolio but not as much as I wanted.

Waiting until FED on Wednesday and then I am GONE until January 2019!

#29 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:19 AM

Then there is this:

White House prepares for shutdown as GOP lawmakers struggle for ...
Washington Post-16 hours ago
The White House and a number of federal agencies have started advanced preparations for a partial government shutdown, as President ...

#30 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Many observers expect a dovish hike by the Fed. The less dovish case can be cast as a three-legged stool: Above trend growth, low real interest rates, and a tight labor market.

https://seekingalpha...-ahead-calendar