Coiling & Compressing until the BIG MOVE

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

SPX finished almost flat, another few hours of coiling & compressing within this SPX 50-point range and we have learned from previous market action that this will end one way: THE BIG MOVE, up or down.

Many SHORTS raised the white flag last week and went bullish or exited to the sidelines.

Volatility fell sharply, down to 18,  a 6% drop on Friday even with SPX almost flat!

I haven't heard from Fari Hamzei who told us he went SHORT on Thursday & forwarded his TIMER DIGEST notification ....

So, there is some smart money going short:

Dear Jim,

Seems like the financial world has finally figured out what we have been writing about for last 60+ days that “trade wars, China’s slow down and erratic stock market will create a grimmer outlook for increaing number of companies across globe” as Bloomberg put it late this afternoon. 

GETTING SHORT SPX now now now…………….

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Good commentary here on previous corrections & reversals

The Big Test

Over the next couple of weeks, the market is going to face the “test” that has defined the “bear markets” of the past.

SP500-Chart3-011119.png

With the markets already back to very overbought conditions, multiple moving averages just overhead, and previously broken support; the market is going to have its work cut out for it. 

However, if the bulls can regain control and push prices back above the November highs, then the “bear market correction of 2018” will officially be dead.

But such is only one possibility out of many others which pose a far greater risk to capital currently. 

With the Fed continuing to extract liquidity, economic data slowing, and earnings likely to be weaker than expected, the current bounce is likely to be just that. 

As we have continuously repeated, if you didn’t like the November-December decline, it is simply a function that you have built up more uncontrolled risk in your portfolio than you previously realized. 

Use this rally to rebalance risk, sell losers and laggards, and add to fixed income and cash. 

Conclusion

We noted previously that we remain long many of our core holdings and in November and late December added positions in companies which had been discounted due to the market’s downdraft.

This past week, we did reduce our equity exposure by 6% to remove some positions which have not been performing as well as expected. 

The risk to the market remains high, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make money along the way.

Until the bullish trend is returned, we will continue to run our portfolios with a bit higher level of cash, fixed income, and tighter stops on our current long-equity exposure. 

We are excited about the opportunity to finally be able to add a “short book” to our portfolios for the first time since 2008. It is too early in the market transition process to implement such a strategy, but the opportunity is clearly forming. 

https://realinvestme...-tops-01-11-19/

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Sure, everyone in the markets is asking the same question.

The crucial risk management question investors should ask today:

Is this the beginning of the next bull market or merely a bear market bounce?

As you may have guessed, we are sticking with the latter.

Here’s the critical risk management message from Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough:

“I lost money 4 straight days last week. My 4-day losing streak sucked, but that's The Game. I learn a lot more by losing than I do winning. While my winning and losing changes, if my #process does, I deserve to lose everything. I’ve had the wrong positioning this week, but we continue to be right on the economic data.”

Our Macro team’s research continues to be right on the direction of global economic data. That is why we’re sticking with our call—this is merely a bear market bounce to lower highs.

Consider that:

• China’s steepest 2-year base effects for 2ndary Industries are in the 1st half of 2019
  • USA’s steepest 2-year GDP base effects are in the 1st 3 quarters of 2019
  • Europe’s 2-year base effects steepen again in Q2 of 2019 where legit recession risk is in play

Translation: Our global and domestic #GrowthSlowing call is just getting started. That’s the process and we’re sticking to it.

One final note from Keith:

“The twelve biggest bounces in stock market history have come during bear markets. The market has been up 7 out of the last 8 days. Our process is the same. I sell on green days in bearish trends.”

Below is some smart Weekend Reading to keep you proactively prepared for the next big market move. 

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

This seems more Political than Market-driven:

Holger Zschaepitz @Schuldensuehner
FollowFollow @Schuldensuehner
More

#Russia central bank dumped $101bn in US holdings from its huge reserves. Central bank moves reserves from Dollar to Euros, yuan in broad shift that could challenge global post-Bretton-Woods currency regime. Bought Quarter of world Yuan reserves https://www.welt.de/finanzen/article186885564/Devisen-Russland-schichtet-vom-Dollar-in-Euro-um.html?wtmc=socialmedia.twitter.shared.web  via @welt

DwuQKpqWwAAxHO4.jpg
8:27 AM - 12 Jan 2019

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

EXUBERANCE? 

More

In the riskiest corners of the stock market, Exuberance is back: Rotation into small caps, cyclicals and leverage in fast rebound. Equity markets are in short covering mode after seeing capitulation at the end of last month. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-12/in-riskiest-stock-market-corners-animal-spirits-stage-a-revival 

DwuNIG0X0AARrtS.jpg
7:50 AM - 12 Jan 2019

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

I like the fat-pitch site:

This a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNgggg analysis, BULLISH:

In summary: sharp falls of at least 15% have a strong tendency to have their original low retested in the weeks/months ahead. But what is notable this time is the exceptional breadth that has driven the indices higher: in the past 70 years, this has never taken place within the context of a bear market. The Christmas low may still get retested, but it seems likely to hold and new highs are probably ahead. Nothing in the stock market is ever guaranteed, but this has been the consistent, historical pattern.

SPX.png

http://fat-pitch.blo...summary_12.html

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

1. Consensus Bulls are not swayed. 38% this week.

DwujH99UYAEMrGr.jpg
    10 replies9 retweets24 likes

Retweet

Equity put/call ratio Friday 77%, highest since it was 79% on 12/24 (although was 113% on 12/21)

1 reply8 retweets19 likes

Retweet

10 dma of NYSE new lows. Has fallen off the proverbial cliff

DwugwceU8AAvBXM.jpg
    8 replies8 retweets35 likes

Retweet

#8 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

1. Today’s CPI report revealed some pretty deep pricing power erosion in transportation services, delivery services, furniture, appliances, personal care products, and elective medical care services. Sorry Mr. Powell, but this doesn’t usually happen in a “solid” economy.

14 replies57 retweets169 likes

Retweet

The big declines in the industrial production data for Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the UK raises the specter of European recession. Just as the ECB takes its foot off the gas. Europe is a bigger economic entity than the USA, so the global GDP impact will be considerable.

#9 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

"The major indexes closed up for a 3rd week in a row SPX/Dow up about 2.5%, Nasdaq up 3.5%, and the Russell leading closing up 4.8%.  Overall I still view this is as a bear market rally in the big picture, however keep in mind that the abc correction lasted for 13 weeks, thus this bear market rally could easily last 5 - 9 weeks imo.  However in the short term the major indexes are nearing resistance.  On the SPX resistance is a zone anywhere from 2600 - 2630, which also includes the declining 50 day MA and 61.8% Fibonacci retracement.   On the intra day time frames the indexes and many sectors sport would appear to be small ascending triangle patterns, therefore if price rallies more early this week I'd be targeting that 2620 - 2630 area on the SPX.  Once we get a pullback, I still think it will likely form a higher low because of the symmetry breaks that most of the indexes have had off the lows.  Therefore my preferred view would be a pullback soon that forms a higher low, then another rally higher that could perhaps get all the way up to the 2700 area on the SPX over time, and last into the Feb or even early March time frame before failing.  Again that's just a guess, trade what's in front of you."

242834_1547401457.png

#10 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,212 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

SPX 2640 is the next IMPORTANT resistance level.

However, I do not expect the market to reach there during the next few days, but not all 

my expectations in life have been fulfilled

More

S&P 500 is 10% off the Dec24 lows, 15% is the typical historical rally in downtrends. So the jury is still out on how durable recent rebound is! 2650-2700 is the critical level for S&P 500!

DwyK-YAXcAAxASy.jpg
2:19 AM - 13 Jan 2019