Day trading stock options - puts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

After success in day trading SPY options on the long side last year, some troll on Facebook, who obviously didn't believe it, declared to me that is was impossible to make money day trading stock options (he was probably an iron-condor man).  I replied maybe so but I'm trading SPY options. He said that was impossible too (true sign of a troll) even when it obviously was not impossible.  Anyway, got to thinking about it and thought why wouldn't my simple strategies work on stocks, if not for profits at least to have some fun trying to do it. And besides if it turned out for profit, I could send my Facebook troll packing (yes.gif).

Just started this experiment last week and have been posting it several times on Twitter and Reddit and Facebook where hardly anyone (except a few trolls) pays any attention. Oh, well, it is still a work in progress, but am learning a lot in a pursuit of keeping it simple - as in "trading is easy, keeping trading simple is hard.".

So far, this is probably the most telling post from last week in that it explains a few things:

DAY TRADING STOCK OPTIONS IN THE "FOOL'S GAME"

And this this is today's story:

From the link:

Today, the big four bellwether stocks I’m using for this options strategy — AAPL, BABA, NFLX, TSLA (see charts below) — racked up a 57.4% gain for the $10k committed to the trades ($5,341).

In general, the market could bounce here. There is news tomorrow – the employment numbers — and the trading going into he rollover was so tight the market is getting overbought rather quickly on the pull back. None of that matters to this day-trading strategy, which opens each day some time (and only sometimes) after each open and always is closed on each close. On an overall positive day it’s likely the buy signals in the puts will not trigger.

TODAY IN STOCK OPTIONS - PUTS

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 opinionated

opinionated

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Your facebook?

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

Your facebook?

Not on mine.  In a Facebook stock and options trading group. There are several different group related to the market. Much like this site but inside of Facebook.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."