Photo

ST, IT Long -- Best Q1 in 20 years followed by BIG DOWN Q2?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Best Q1 in 21 years ends with the market still grinding up higher but with reduced momentum, and 

low participation:

"The NYSE had its lowest trading volume day of 2019 for the second time this week, after first setting the benchmark on Tuesday."

All good things come to an end and so shall it be for this great V-shape rally, one for the history books.

I expect a big DOWN Q2 as well as much more volatility.

But, the best strategy is to trade WITH the markets even if it goes against all that is logical ! 

FROM WSJ:

Did the Fed Mess Up? Has the Fed Made a Big Mistake?

The Federal Reserve's abrupt shift from hawkish to dovish over the past six months has been a mixed blessing for investors. On one hand, lower interest rates tend to be supportive of stock prices. On the other, the very fact that the Fed needs to loosen its monetary policy stance because of weakening economic conditions is obviously not a good sign.

This morning's revised-down fourth quarter GDP figure confirmed that U.S. economic growth has been sharply decelerating since last spring, when growth peaked at a 4.2% annualized rate in the second quarter. It also confirmed that the Fed continued raising interest rates several months into an economic growth slowdown, having most recently hiked in December.

Perhaps if monetary policy officials had known that the economy had only expanded at a 2.2% rate in the fourth quarter they wouldn't have been so eager to do so. But that's the problem with the "data-dependent" path the Fed was on – that it relies on figures describing conditions that are in the past once they have been collected. Markets tumbled in the fourth quarter on concerns of slowing economic growth (among other things) so it's not as if no one saw it coming.

As Matthew Klein wrote in Barron's over the weekend:

The question is why so many at the Fed were blindsided by a turn of events that was clearly anticipated by the financial markets. Commodities, stocks, exchange rates, credit spreads, and the yield curve were all warning policy makers of the risk of excessive interest-rate increases as early as October, yet those signals were mostly ignored by Fed officials until after their meeting in mid-December. Even the macroeconomic concerns cited by Fed Chairman Jerome Powell at the most recent press conference—weak growth in China and Europe, as well as a faltering U.S. housing market—were all evident months ago.

Now that Fed officials' economic outlook has caught up with that of investors, the question becomes whether it's too late to fix their mistake. The yield curve has inverted; manufacturing, housing, and retail data have all been soft; and economic conditions abroad are even weaker than in the U.S.

The Fed now expects to keep interests rates more-or-less steady through at least the end of 2021, but markets remain unconvinced. "Stocks are up, but credit spreads are still elevated, especially for the riskiest borrowers, and commodity prices are still down," Matt wrote.

Read the rest of Matt's economy column here.

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

This time, an inverted yield curve suggests the stock market has already peaked, some analysts say 

https://www.marketwa...-say-2019-03-28

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

Former Morgan Stanley Asia chairman: Be prepared to dump stocks ‘very quickly’
‘When the dust settles, there will be some realization that this is not a fundamental breakthrough — that the conflict will be enduring. Take profits very quickly, which would be my sense.’

That’s Stephen Roach, Yale University senior fellow and former Morgan StanleyMS, +1.35%  Asia chairman, talking on CNBC’s “Trading Nation” this week about the fallout from a U.S.-China trade deal.

A critic of the White House’s tariff strategy, Roach said he doesn’t see a resolution having any kind of meaningful impact on trade between the two countries. While China would likely agree to multiyear purchases for agriculture, soybeans and energy, he said doesn’t believe that will be enough to satisfy investors.

“The bulk of the progress will be on the bilateral trade front, which, quite frankly, as an economist I find the least appealing because that’s really a reflection of our own macroeconomic imbalances,” Roach said. “If we can squeeze the Chinese piece, that’ll just send those goods to another higher cost producer. So this is sort of a cosmetic deal, at best. But it’s a deal, and it’s better than nothing.”

https://www.marketwa...ckly-2019-03-28

#4 trioderob

trioderob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

and solid trade deal with China will send the market to new highs 

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Definitely buying VXXB with a 29 handle, or lower, preferably - but not definitely - during the final two hours of trading (there is a good reason for that!)

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

2 NQ trades and one CRUDE (yeah, crude!) trade - coudl not resist that smooth vertical path upwards on the 1m chart

Today I am looking for an early high with retests along the day but this is about it for this rally, UNLESS there is a surge in volume.

Two slowest days for 2019 was in this week -- a rally or drop cannot be sustained by extremely low volume trading

Either the market drops or the volume surges. 

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Phil:

TGIF – Best Q1 in 10 Years – Is This as Good as it Gets?

I am 56 today.

Hard to get that off my mind as 56 seems like a lot and, of course, Birthday's mark the end of a year, not the beginning, so this is year 57 on the planet for me and thinking about how different it is now from when I was born makes me wonder what kind of World, if any, we are building for our chilren – mine are 17 and 19.  

March 29th, 1963 was a Friday as well and a Boeing 707 with Warren Beatty on it was struck by lightning over London and had to dump it's fuel before landing and the Castro Regime apologized that day for firiing on one of our jets with their Russian MIGs.  The first trans-Atlantic phone call was made the next day between NY and London (probably Beatty) and the New York City newspaper strike ended after 114 days on Sunday, with the price of papers doubling to 10 cents to meet union demands for raises.  Guatemala had a military coup that day with the US-backed army taking over the Government, which was close to electing Communist leaders (we couldn't have that!).  

IN PROGRESS

https://www.philstoc...good-as-it-gets

#8 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

@Schuldensuehner
FollowFollow @Schuldensuehner
More

Now the German yield curve is flattening to a post-crisis low following US. Yield gap between 10y and 3mth notes has halved this year. But w/ 3mth yield at minus 52bps it would be a massive shock for 10y bund yield to dive below that. Inversion unlikely. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-29/now-the-german-yield-curve-is-flattening-to-a-post-crisis-low 

D20lJp2X0AE93u1.png
4:07 AM - 29 Mar 2019

#9 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

Tom McClellan @McClellanOsc
FollowFollow @McClellanOsc
More

My latest Chart In Focus article, "Bond CEF A-D Line Showing Big Strength", is posted at https://www.mcoscillator.com/learning_center/weekly_chart/bond_cef_a-d_line_showing_big_strength/ 

D2wVS43U0AEhz9h.jpg
8:19 AM - 28 Mar 2019

#10 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, I am in the "smart money" crowd.... if this qualifies me...

@sentimentrader
FollowingFollowing @sentimentrader
More

Traders have moved into VIX call options and volatility ETFs. In the sense that extreme positions tend to lead to moves in their direction, this is the smart money.

D2rYYkMWwAEic_I.png

D2rYYkdWsAEyrTy.png
9:15 AM - 27 Mar 2019