Photo

Got CORN? 1 million acres of U.S. cropland ravaged by floods...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

So I see this headline and think CORN... or something from Nebraska, etc.:

More than 1 million acres of U.S. cropland ravaged by floods...

Then I see this:

corn.jpg

And then I see this:

The ETF Tax Dodge Is Wall Street’s “Dirty Little Secret”

"One day last September an unidentified trader pumped more than $3 billion into a tech fund run by State Street Corp. Two days later that trader pulled out a similar amount."

Then I wish I could program machine learning.

Does a human trader have a chance against HAL?  "Sorry Dave"

Where is Arbman when I need him? ;-)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 30 March 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:02 PM

How the Little Ice Age Changed History

It is easy to forget just how variable the climate of the earth has been, across the geologic time scale.

Starting in the fourteenth century, cooling temperatures disrupted our economic and social structures

The most consequential effect of the frigid weather, Blom argues convincingly, was to disrupt the harvest, especially the grain harvest. It led to a fundamental shift in the social order across Europe, and beyond. The Little Ice Age amounted to “a long-term, continent-wide agricultural crisis,” as Blom writes. Grain harvests did not return to their previous levels for a hundred and eighty years. That affected everything about how society worked.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 30 March 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#3 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:59 AM

And the "little ice age" still didn't rise to the definition of "climate change" as it did not leave a widespread geologic fingerprint world wide, even though it lasted from about 1300 to about 1850.  Climate changes are events that leave a world wide geologic fingerprint - such as a clear depositional history or a clear unconformity where millions of years of geology are simply gone - such as the total erosion of the 1st Appalacian mountain range (yes there were two) - the sediments from the first one are probably some where in the Permian basin.  The little ice age was simple a temporary change in weather patterns - probably related to decreases in the suns intensity.   Now let's discuss the Permian extinction where 70% of the earths population of plants and animals became extinct - now that was climate change - which some believe was during a pole shift where the earth had no magnetic field for millions of years and was bombarded by radiation from the sun.  The earth after all, is just one big magnet and without our magnetic field deflecting electromagnetic radiation, we would all fry.    By the way, the die off, and extinction,  of large quantities foraminifera during the Permian Extinction, gave us oil.   

#4 zoropb

zoropb

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

When prices are finally released from the manipulation. Put your sealt belts on.

The differance in this go (cold period) around and the last one, is people knew how to grow crops and yet an estimated 25% of the planet's population perished. Now a finger touching the keypad gets you a meal. Good luck with that option in the not to distant future. 

Edited by zoropb, 31 March 2019 - 10:15 AM.

Love, be kind to one another, seek the truth, walk the narrow path between the ying and the yang.