Low Volume, Lethargic trading - STILL UP

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

Everyone is talking about the low volume today, small range, and a market with no decisive direction.

However, trend is still up, ST & IT are still long and this could be a market resting and consolidating before moving higher

I doubt it, I am looking for a ST top Wednesday or Thursday. 

Luke Kawa @LJKawa
FollowFollow @LJKawa
More

Lowest volume day of the year in SPY, less than half the three-month average

D3LGT3lWAAMpJdM.jpg
1:03 PM - 2 Apr 2019

OddStats @OddStats
FollowFollow @OddStats
More

$SPY (the S&P 500 ETF) has had a ridiculously low volume day despite there not being an obvious holiday situation to murder participation. I found this list of dates, not adjacent to major US holidays, since 2005 with the lowest SPY volume (and $SPX returns).

D3LKPDvUEAA36Rn.png
1:23 PM - 2 Apr 2019

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Helene Meisler @hmeisler
FollowFollow @hmeisler
More

OMG even the lady from Loop Capital is talking light volume.

@followtheh
FollowFollow @followtheh
More

$SPY volume 38.5 mil low since last August.

1:01 PM - 2 Apr 2019

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

CUT RATES, now!

They need to back of or else they will scare the markets.

BloombergVerified account @business
FollowingFollowing @business
More

Powell received a call from Trump on March 8 as concerns that day about the U.S. job market helped send stocks to their biggest weekly drop of the year

https://www.bloomber...-growth-worries

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:16 AM

Hate it when markets snooze during cash session and parties during overnight hours....

LOL

Hope we get much more movement and range today

More "good news" on the trade front could help SPX approach 2900 or crossover this week.

Dow set to rise 100 points at the open on hopes the US and China are ...
CNBC-12 minutes ago
U.S. stock futures rose Wednesday on optimism over U.S.-China trade talks. As of 8 a.m. ET, Dow Jones Inudstrial Average futures indicated a ...

Dow set to rise 100 points at the open on hopes the US and China are ...
CNBC-12 minutes ago
U.S. stock futures rose Wednesday on optimism over U.S.-China trade talks. As of 8 a.m. ET, Dow Jones Inudstrial Average futures indicated a ...

#5 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

"Hope we get much more movement and range today"

I'm still on a buy signal, but ready to go to cash whenever it ends.   The Trend remains up.  I will flip to cash and buy some VXXB when I get the next signal....  What will cause the next signal and when?  Don't know, don't care....  I just trade the signals....swoon.gif

Good Trading.

https://stockcharts....875&a=655653748

Long VXFbull.gif  and GDXJbull.gif I'm currently buying small tranches of GDXJ as we move lower.... (NO BUY SIGNAL YET) I trade the miners differently then stocks, and use different indicators and data.

https://stockcharts....576&a=655380510

Gold mining and silver mining shares have been quietly rebounding since they had slid to 2-1/2-year bottoms on September 11, 2018 more than a half year ago.

Hardly anyone realizes that two of the biggest net outflows out of all exchange-traded funds in calendar year 2019 have been GDX and GDXJ. The first is a fund of large-cap gold mining and silver mining shares, while the second is in the same industry but is concentrated in mid-cap shares. The total outflow for GDXJ has been approximately one-seventh of its entire market capitalization. Most investors have already forgotten or didn't realize that U.S. equity index funds mostly continued to experience net outflows not only during late 2008 and early 2009 when they were collapsing but all the way through the end of 2012. Investors didn't want to participate in the early years of the lengthy U.S. equity bull market when prices were experiencing their best bargains. This is due to several reasons:

1) the 2007-2009 collapse was fresh and painful in investors' minds through 2012;

2) when U.S. assets were truly compelling they were also highly volatile as deeply underpriced assets almost always are, thereby frightening away nervous investors;

3) since the media kept telling them that the recovery was unsustainable, investors hesitated more than they acted. The most money flowed into stocks in 2018-2019 when prices were near their highest levels in history. Whether they realize it or not, investors keep buying high and selling low and repeating this process over and over again.

https://truecontrari...k.blogspot.com/

Edited by robo, 03 April 2019 - 07:41 AM.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

This is more like it! 

Hope to rack up at least a 600-point NQ profit today, on track for it, unless they snooze again during the afternoon session! 

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:14 AM

I'm still on a buy signal, but ready to go to cash whenever it ends.   The Trend remains up.  I will flip to cash and buy some VXXB when I get the next signal....  What will cause the next signal and when?  Don't know, don't care....  I just trade the signals....swoon.gif

Good Trading.

Long VXFbull.gif  and GDXJbull.gif I'm currently buying small tranches of GDXJ as we move lower.... (NO BUY SIGNAL YET) I trade the miners differently then stocks, and use different indicators and data.

Gold mining and silver mining shares have been quietly rebounding since they had slid to 2-1/2-year bottoms on September 11, 2018 more than a half year ago.

Hardly anyone realizes that two of the biggest net outflows out of all exchange-traded funds in calendar year 2019 have been GDX and GDXJ. The first is a fund of large-cap gold mining and silver mining shares, while the second is in the same industry but is concentrated in mid-cap shares. The total outflow for GDXJ has been approximately one-seventh of its entire market capitalization. Most investors have already forgotten or didn't realize that U.S. equity index funds mostly continued to experience net outflows not only during late 2008 and early 2009 when they were collapsing but all the way through the end of 2012. Investors didn't want to participate in the early years of the lengthy U.S. equity bull market when prices were experiencing their best bargains. This is due to several reasons:

1) the 2007-2009 collapse was fresh and painful in investors' minds through 2012;

2) when U.S. assets were truly compelling they were also highly volatile as deeply underpriced assets almost always are, thereby frightening away nervous investors;

3) since the media kept telling them that the recovery was unsustainable, investors hesitated more than they acted. The most money flowed into stocks in 2018-2019 when prices were near their highest levels in history. Whether they realize it or not, investors keep buying high and selling low and repeating this process over and over again.

We may get a VXXB 27 handle
Patience, I want to enter a VXXB long, a multi-day trade, so holding on until SPX can break above 2892
my current half-position is down 31 cents, no problem. 

NQ is trending nicely today

#8 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 25,936 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

VIX not buying into the pop today...short term VIX chart starting to look bottomy...

NQ looking a bit extended here....

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#9 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

Good Trading.

We may get a VXXB 27 handle
Patience, I want to enter a VXXB long, a multi-day trade, so holding on until SPX can break above 2892
my current half-position is down 31 cents, no problem. 

NQ is trending nicely today

I flip from VXF to VXXB at Vanguard Brother....  Waiting on the sell signal, but no cigar yet.

Good Trading.... 

The 2 hour data is for warning signs, but the daily has to confirm....

https://stockcharts....073&a=655653748

Long VXF...bull.gif   The trend remains up until it's not....

Long and adding GDXJ - catching the falling knife....swoon.gif

Edited by robo, 03 April 2019 - 12:03 PM.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#10 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

VIX not buying into the pop today...short term VIX chart starting to look bottomy...

NQ looking a bit extended here....

Tagged  my green zone, but waiting on stocks to go to a sell signal first....bull.gif  The  $28.34 marker is a higher low  so we shall see how that plays out. You could be correct, but I will wait for my signal cause one just never knows for sure, and I will not guess....

https://stockcharts....073&a=655653748

Edited by robo, 03 April 2019 - 12:09 PM.