#1 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

A Grand Day For ChartSmarts

Lots of our stocks broke up for us. I had said that we were due a rally in the Semi's and if we were to get it, it would help the market. It is, but I suspect that it can help much more. I'll discuss this more below.

Today was generally good for the market, though some sectors were a bit lame. The fact that the Russell was solidly higher and the Nasdaq was playing catch-up suggests that good things lay instore for the market.

DOW: The sloppy day on the Dow doesn't bother me much. Breadth was good.

Posted Image

S&P500: The S&P was a bit sloppy, but it was outperforming the Nasdaq yesterday. This is a sign or nervous buying, which is bullish.

Posted Image

NDX: The Nasdaq took off for us and is looking pretty good. A bit of consolidation, perhaps with a similar pause in the Semi's would be really powerful.

Posted Image

QQQ: I didn't get my Q's again today.

Posted Image

HUI: Well, lookee-lookee! The Gold miners woke up!

Posted Image

GSS: Yeah, I'm with Doug. I'm kicking myself for not buying more Gold Star yesterday.

Posted Image

HL: Hecla is another sound play in the Golds.

Posted Image

SWH: The Software Holders had a good day and looks to be breaking out in after hours trading.

Posted Image

SOXX: The Semi's really came on today, as I suspected that they would. The psychology of the players in this index is a possible key to further rally in the Nasdaq. This index has been a Bears dream since January. Bears have been trained to hold onto their shorts longer than they should because those who did over the past 9 months have been well rewarded. If we continue higher, there will be a barrage of short-covering, and then a round of top-picking that will breed the next round of short-covering. A consolidation tomorrow should be bought. I'm going out on a limb and saying that we will probably exceed 435 over the next 3-4 months.

Posted Image

SMH: The Semis broke up on HUGE volume. Pay attention here. A longer-term position here isn't a bad idea.

Posted Image

TTH: The Telecoms are doing OK for us, so far.

Posted Image

NWX: Whoo-hoo! Nice break out.

Posted Image

XCI: The Computers can take off, but like Doug, I'd love to see them pause just a bit to build energy.

Posted Image

EMC: EMC is moving. Cross your fingers.

Posted Image

JDSU: Look at that JDSU go! I warned you!

Posted Image

HPQ: Sometimes I get lucky, buying early. We hold HPQ in family and client accounts.

Posted Image

LU: We also hold Lucent in family accounts as a longer-term holding.

Posted Image

SEBL: We still like Siebel on strength.

Posted Image

CSCO: Boy, I wish we had put the Cisco in the model portfolio.

Posted Image

WMB: Looks like Holly's special cheer, in combination with Doug shaking his pom-poms worked on the Williams! Good job Guys!

Posted Image

NXG: Northgate is volatile, but it looks like it can play on a break out.

Posted Image

Summary:
We're well positioned for more rally. A pause would be nice, if it doesn't get ugly. On the other hand, a number of these look like they can just run. We've got room to go. The mixed market is the stuff of major moves...it heartens the Bears right when they should be covering up and going long. Let's see if it plays out for us.

Be Well, and Trade Smarter Than the Average Bear!
Mark, Doug, and Holly
-The ChartSmarts Team

Current Positions:

Long TTH at 28.41, stop at 28.41

EMC: Long at 10.95, stop at 10.41

Long JDSU at 3.12, stop at 2.98

Long WMB at 11.92, stop at 11.49

Watch List:

GSS: Buy on a print of 4.44, stop at 3.98

HL: Buy on a print of 6.1, stop at 5.59

SEBL: Buy above 7.78, stop at 7.35

NXG: Buy on a print of 1.76, stop at 1.59