Gold Sentiment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rock

Rock

• Traders-Talk User
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:01 PM

Two sentiment services, Schaeffer and Whisper Number, say current bearishness on gold is bullish. A gold chart analyst I subscribe to, Clive Maund, is short term ready to trade out if the HUI drops below 222, the 55 dma. Lots of neg. here on the gold board too. I think an IT drop in gold is unlikely because it looks likely to so many. Volume on many micros (like ca:mai, ca:nno, ca:xcl, ca:ndm) has dropped to almost nothing which says to me that the scared speculators are about done selling and the vacuum should inhale up volume. Doug says gold and gold stock trade "perversely" . I agree. I expect to have my throat cut when I don't expect it, not now when I do. Schaeffer below from his free Mon. Morn. reports: Gold (XAU) 102.49 / / The gold sector continues to draw the attention of pessimists. According to both the sector put/call ratio and short interest, investors have piled on the short positions in anticipation of the sector tripping over itself. The rally in gold has caught many investors' eyes, but many of those eyes remain skeptical, according to the current sentiment picture. Expect gold's outperformance to continue given so much negative sentiment toward a strong sector.

#2 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:00 PM

That's exactly the type of sentiment that makes me feel comfortable with holding my long-term positions... :)

#3 uncleharley

uncleharley

• Traders-Talk User
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:55 PM

Amen.. :)

#4 tradinoncoffee

tradinoncoffee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:07 AM

Added to my portfolio today with $XAU bouncing off a 6 month trendline and 101, also initiated some calls on some way oversold (imho) stocks including GG, KGC, HL. Watch PMU now that KGC has dumped their 17 mil shares (in the Canadian market) as it may continue to weaken with that much new stock in circulation now, but mid .80's could be the buy point. I do have an itchy trigger finger and will lighten my portfolio on any close below 101 on the $XAU accompanied by volume. At this point, light volume down days are buying opportunities. Good luck to all.