• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

Nice pics KsK ... agree on the importance of the type of fish you're consuming. Large, salt water fish in exotic locations (such as can be found from street vendors in Barbados and other Carribean locations, can be dangerous ... may harbor Shigella and other pathogens). Fish should glisten, spring back to the touch and NOT have a strong fishy odor (indicates aging). Frozen fish can be a good choice as flash freezing helps maintain nutrient content and prevents bacterial growth. Choose smaller, fresh water varieties. Mackerel, Striped Bass Trout, Halibut, Cod, Perch, Albacore tuna (in moderation), Sardines, Lake Whitefish, Sole and the one most people are aware of - Salmon (farmed Salmon, however, contains little omega 3 fat ... and all wild salmon is becoming over fished and pricey). Best, C.C. (again - balance and moderation are key ... no sense suddenly eating fish 3 times a day :) Make sure you also remember to LAUGH and enjoy good company. while eating your finned friend. :redbull: :D :redbull:

Edited by calmcookie, 11 September 2005 - 07:56 PM.

#12 outsider

outsider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:09 AM

Hi, CC. I've been taking omega 3 and flax capsules for about a year now. Guess that's not long enough to improve brain function for my case. Give me another chance? Certainly these nutritional supplements are a preferred, good alternative approach to the statin drugs which are what my Doc wanted to use. Doc was the source of most of my comments, but I also read something about nutritional supplements both good and bad. Wonder how much liver damage you get from the statins, if I wind up having to go there.... Hey, maybe Doc is related to the pharma salesman or something.... ---Out

#13 gman

gman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

But I would recommend liquid form, not capsules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cookie, why is liquid more preferred over capsules

and the one most people are aware of - Salmon
(farmed Salmon, however, contains little omega 3 fat ... and all wild
salmon is becoming over fished and pricey).  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there a reason farmed salmon contains little omega 3's? Is there something in the farmed salmon diet that accounts for this?

Edited by gman, 06 January 2006 - 09:47 PM.

Everything you know is wrong.
Black is white, up is down, and short is long.
And everything you thought was just so.

Important doesn't matter.

Weird Al Yankovic

#14 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

gman - a lot of info about Omega 3/6 at this manufacturer of flax and borage products...I drink the Barleans' high lignan flax oil directly from the bottle using a tablespoon:

http://www.barleans.com/

note the award they received for quality and freshness.

This company has been around many years...I have been ordering from them or buying their product locally for about 15 years or so.

#15 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

gman - a lot of info about Omega 3/6 at this manufacturer of flax and borage products...I drink the Barleans' high lignan flax oil directly from the bottle using a tablespoon:

http://www.barleans.com/

note the award they received for quality and freshness.

This company has been around many years...I have been ordering from them or buying their product locally for about 15 years or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would love to agree with you about the use of flax seeds and flax seed oil, as they are inexpensive and readily available. Unfortunately, have several reservations about the use of flax and its oil. Cannot go into all here ... but the main one has to do with the oil's affect on something called delta 6 desaturase. It slows down this enzymes production and results in a decrease in gamma linolenic acid (GLA). If the body is not making enough GLA, then there is no way to make good eicosanoids. These hormones control virtually every aspect of human health and research into this fascinating topic won a 1982 Nobel prize in physiology and medicine.

Hey, sorry, this is getting a bit over the top and probably of little interest. But, it's my passion and I've been looking at this stuff for over 20 years.

Will soon have a non-profit website up with some basic guidelines (for anyone interested).

Good health to all, C.C. :)

Edited by calmcookie, 07 January 2006 - 09:50 AM.

#16 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

WoW WoW WOW! What a GREAT THREAD!! I needed THIS! Thanks to all for its Topic and Information! MrDev ;)

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!