Vitamin C 'helps to fight cancer'....

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#11 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,901 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

Senor is part way thru an excellent book called "The China Study". Bottom line is stop, or greatly reduce the eating of animal protein. I highly recommend this book. Senor Richard Russel also has recommended it. This is NO BS! Senor

#12 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:42 PM

thanks for the feedback, TS. Make sure you ck out Elson Haas on the web....he has been an authority for many years on the subject, and he and his family live what he writes about in his books....he speaks from personal experience and well as being a medical doctor.

Here is an article he wrote in 1997 than is an eye opener....I started shopping at Whole Foods (WFMI) after I read the article:

http://www.elsonhaas...article_02.html

Edited by hiker, 13 September 2005 - 05:47 PM.

#13 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone, according to an article from BBC NEWS entitled, "Vitamin C 'helps to fight cancer'" "High doses of vitamin C injected into the bloodstream may help fight cancer, a US study says.

Scientists found that intravenous vitamin C in the form of ascorbate killed cancer cells in lab tests.

The findings contradict earlier studies, but the Maryland-based Institutes of Health said they had looked at lower-dose oral vitamin C.

Cancer experts said the "overwhelming" evidence still suggested vitamin C was not an effective treatment.

Studies in the 1970s first suggested the administration of high doses of vitamin C could help treat cancer, but later research did not back this up.

In the latest study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers conducted laboratory experiments which simulated clinical infusions of vitamin C on a range of nine cancer and four normal cells.

In five of the cancer lines, there was a 50% decrease in cell survival, while normal cells were unaffected.

A more detailed look at lymphoma cells - which were especially sensitive to ascorbate - showed they were killed completely.

The effective dose was around four millimoles, a concentration much higher than an oral dose but easily achievable by intravenous infusion."

Thanks very much to snorkels4, Sentient Being, calmcookie, gorydog, kisacik, and outsider for your contributions here.

Cheers, :)

Bob-C

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

linus pauling gave us vitamin c for cancer 50 years ago....

http://lpi.oregonsta...bio/lpbio2.html

http://lpi.oregonsta...inC/printc.html

Edited by da_cheif, 13 September 2005 - 06:09 PM.

#14 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Tom Cruise may have acted like an idiot with Matt Lauer, but he was right on the money. I read an article in Discover magazine on how a pig farmer solved his pig behavior problems with vitamins, then he tried it on people, and it cured a host of mental troubles. Here is another article on same:

http://www.healthwat.../report-th.html

It seems in the 70s psychologists sensed a potential decline in business and slammed the method, damning it in favor of expensive therapy and dangerous drugs.

In the past and especially now, big pharma is fighting to limit peoples' access to vitamins - the FDA has met with them to find ways to limit usage of vitamins, as it cuts into drug sales. Now CAFTA technically could mean we would be forced into compliance with the WTO rules, one of which, the Codex Alimentarius, limits the dosage of vitamins you can get without doctor prescription to useless levels. These standards are from Germany, where it is illegal to dispense tablets more than 115 mg of vitamin C without a prescription. Congress basically endorsed CAFTA with maybe 5 min. review.

IMO the push for tort reform is in anticipation of the day when people discover that cholesterol does not cause congestive heart failure, but cholestorol medicine (statins) do. They do this by depleting the production of CoQ10 within the liver, which is necessary to maintain a proper heart beat. These companies know this, but CoQ10 is not patentable, so it does not help the companies financially to add it to the medicine. They took out patents on such a combination when these drugs were developed, BTW.

Blaiming cholesterol for CHF is like blaiming the firemen at your house for the fire they are trying to put out, because they are on the scene when the fire is occuring.

#15 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

Hiker, Good info on your blog, thanks. I've been taking vitamins every day for two years and I hardly ever catch a cold anymore, used to get a few colds and flu every year almost, now nothing, if I start to feel a cold i just get some rest and it is gone. Bottom line, vitamins work, and i'm looking into even more supplements found in Adkins book. Got to work on my diet though, but I've been off soft drinks for two years now, water is great. Let's keep this thread going all, it is our responsibility to find and do what is necessary to live healthy, the federal government's primary concern is about how much money is at stake, not if we live longer; the thing is, the longer we live the more social security has to be paid out. ;)

#16 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

CLK - thanks for the feedback...will be posting some info. on vitamins in future days at the site...have extensive personal experience in this area. Feel free to ask a question anytime. Deepak Chopra, who is an M.D. has published in his books important information about enzymes contained in foods such as dates, figs, raisins and the role of enzymes in health and aging. His thoughts have been validated by other's research. btw, it is important to eat such foods that have not been sulphured or treated with preservatives. The next subject at my site will be a reference to Dr. Herbert's Benson's many years of research as Director of a Harvard Univ. research institution dedicated to the health of the mind.

#17 outsider

outsider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

What's the consensus on red meat and also, alcohol? Is grass fed better than grain fed? What fish to avoid due to pollution issues? Is vegetarian all it's cracked up to be? Seems like many of you have studied this in a great deal of detail.... ---Out

#18 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:31 AM

I've been trying not to comment here as I tend to get carried away.

So much I could say and would like to say ... as Health Education is
my passion.

Here's a brief quote I like:

"Eat less, but BE SURE TO GET ENOUGH PROTEIN, FAT, VITAMINS
AND MINERALS." Professor Richard Wiendruch MD PhD, longevity researcher
as written in Scientific American

I don't take any vitamin or mineral supplements (except DHA / EPA
and a low dose magnesium) ... but, I do eat nutrient dense foods ...
not empty calories (like white flour or sodas ... high calorie - no nutrients).

The ONLY proven method of extending life in animals is caloric restriction,
while still getting ENOUGH ... not too much and not too little ... protein, fat, vitamins and minerals

Also - the number one killer is hyperinsulinemia (your pancreas making too
much insulin) ... which is the direct result of the NUMBER OF GRAMS OF
CARBOHYDRATE YOU CONSUME (AND STRESS LEVELS). Too much insulin
causes "syndrome X" ... which leads to high blood pressure, diabetes,
hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis, heart disease ... lowered immunity etc etc etc.

THE NUMBER OF DISORDERS THAT CAN BE DIRECTLY LINKED TO EXCESS
INSULIN IS VERY HIGH.

And lastly ... poor health is NOT the lack of some stupid pharmaceutical drug
... okay, now I'm hot under the collar. How I loath those TV ads ....
only understanding and ACTING on reasonable nutrition, moderate exercise and
stress management (includes good friends) can give help you to live a long and vital life.

Okay, I better stop ... or I might give you my whole book :)

Health is wealth ... walk at least 1/2 an hour a day.

Edited by calmcookie, 14 September 2005 - 09:39 AM.

#19 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Learn to ALKALIZE and CONTROL INSULIN LEVELS.

Viruses and bacteria cannot survive in an alkaline environment ... remember,
we don't CATCH most diseases ... we create an internal condition that is
hospitable to these pathogens. Even cancer cells cannot survive in high alkalinity
because oxygen levels are typically better in this situation.

(and keep that colon working ... not poisoning you by
having [bleeeep] (literally :D ) sitting there for too long!!! Plain, cheap, oat bran
... a few tablespoons spread throughout the day will suffice ... no need for expensive and harmful laxatives)

We are a constipated nation ... dying in our own excrement. Sorry guys - true.
I didn't write that part in my book ... but am feeling brave this morning.

Edited by calmcookie, 14 September 2005 - 09:52 AM.

#20 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

What's the consensus on red meat and also, alcohol? Is grass fed better than grain fed? What fish to avoid due to pollution issues? Is vegetarian all it's cracked up to be? Seems like many of you have studied this in a great deal of detail....

---Out

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no consensus on red meat or alcohol. :(

I will say that my theory is that grass fed is FAR better for you than grain...omega threes and all that. My approach is to eat hormone free meats and as much "free range" and grass fed as possible. It's not always easy to do, I admit.

As for alcohol, I'm absolutely convinced that red wine is not only OK in moderation, but HEALTHFUL. There are a lot of studies that show that drinking red wine in quantities even up to 5 (!!!) glasses per day extends life by something like 4 years on average as well as puts off the onset of alzhiemers and various diseases that have similar symtoms. My read is that 5 glasses is probably not a great idea for most folks, but 2-3 probably IS a good idea. Note, this is red wine not white. YMMV. From personal experience, I used to be a beer drinker, as well as a martini guy. I still like gin and scotch from time to time, but I've cut them WAY back. A rare "treat" if you will. Beer is almost completely out of my diet. Why? I FEEL better. I eat better and if I overindulge I simply don't feel bad the next day.

As for vegetarian...well, I've tried it and I really don't like it, but I know that it has serious benefits and for some people it works great.

What I can say is that I try to get as much variety as possible in my diet. I try to eat seasonally and I try to incorporate as much of a "mediterranian diet" as possible. Free range and wild is best for meat, poultry, and fish. Also, free range eggs are very high in omega threes too. Organic is generally a good idea, if only because it keeps the GME's from totally taking over the food industry and it cuts down on pesticides and the like in your diet. I would say that a diet that is low in carbohydrates and sugars is better (adjust for quality of carbs and amount of exercise) as is a diet that is higher in fiber. Just in case, psyllium husk is always good to have in case of too much crap food and not enough vegetables, and vitamin and herbal supplements are a generally good idea and a science unto themselves.

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter