• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

Oh oh oh ... how I'd love to write so much more ... but have to go out. Mark ... agree on some things you said, especially the fibre ... but am convinced that the red wine studies have more to do with the type of personalities that are moderate red wine drinkers and NOT to any physical benefit from ingredients (such as the much hyped "resveratrol"... more later). Best to you. Til next time. C.C.

#22 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

Last thing ... cannot help myself :P When researchers look for some common reason why people live long lives (past 100) ... the only thing that consistently appears is that there is a greater tendency to be "unflappable." NOTHING MUCH BUGS THEM. (which, believe it or not ... keeps insulin levels low and blood acidity low) Guess I will die young, as pharmaceutical TV ads bug me to death :D :lol: :D

#23 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,018 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

The studies I read about on red wine were not popular and flew in the face of a lot of orthodox thought. I'm confident that many studies of red wine drinking ARE affected by personality types or even associated factors like income and diet. What I read, however, was pretty compelling. I'm fascinated that much of the mainstream media on red wine's health benefits omits that studies that suggest benefits at consumption levels well in excess of the "moderate" 1-2 glass a day party line. It seems pretty clear that 2-3 glass was optimal, but up to 5 was still beneficial (provided you weren't driving, I presume). What I've EXPERIENCED, however, is most telling. YMMV, but if you're a drinker, try switching to red wine only for a while and see what you think. I feel better on many levels. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#24 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

to follow up on CC's most recent post, here is a link to a recognized Institute long associated with Harvard Univ. that is continuing its research on the last subject CC brought up:

http://www.mbmi.org/pages/r_mbmir1.asp

for a detailed history of the initial 20 years of research findings, the following book is a worthwhile read:

Your Maximum Mind by Herbert Benson, MD

one of his more recent books that is co-authored with William Proctor is:

The Breakout Principle: How to Activate the Natural Trigger That Maximizes Creativity, Athletic Performance, Productivity and Personal Well-Being

the most recent book on the subject is:

Mind Your Heart: A Mind/Body Approach to Stress Management, Exercise, and Nutrition for Heart Health

Aggie Casey, Herbert Benson, With Ann MacDonald

Edited by hiker, 14 September 2005 - 11:32 AM.

#25 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

Hiker ... I also like the writings / philosophy of Herbert Benson. He's refreshingly unusual, as far as MD's go. And Mark ... FWIW ... think you raise an important point in your "experience" comment. Different things DO work for different people (and the mind is a powerful placebo). Bottom line is the ability to change ... if what you're doing isn't working then people need to try something else ... AND GIVE IT LONG ENOUGH TO WORK ... USUALLY SEVERAL MONTHS ... the answers are all out there. But, most people don't like to change ... they keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. :) Best, C.C. Health is Wealth

#26 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

CC - what are some of your favored resources for learning about this subject? Can you name some books or websites? Yes, I am aware that you have written a book....can you post a resource for others' benefit how to go about testing at home a person's alkalinity? Appreciate all your contributions....

Edited by hiker, 14 September 2005 - 01:12 PM.

#27 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

Hiker - thanks for asking ... no time now, but will summarize what I believe are some key points ... later in week. Best, C.C.

#28 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,018 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:16 PM

Yanno, I wonder if TT couldn't benefit from a Food & Health board. Is there an interest? Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#29 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

CC - addressing the last comment you made regarding making changes.....maintaining motivation to practice good habits is a challenge for most people....what suggestions do you have for increasing will power and discipline?

There are 10 chapters in a book I mentioned above that accomplish motivational shifts in lifestyle and attitudes better than many other reading/methods of which I am aware....the book is short and simple:

The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino.

Og's website:

http://www.ogmandino.com/

Edited by hiker, 14 September 2005 - 03:26 PM.

#30 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

yes, Mark.