Photo

Alkalinity / Motivation - health (not trading)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

I was asked what I thought about how to maintain motivation for
better health. Was also sent some questions about insulin and
alkalinity. Couple of private messages, but here is part of response:

I like Endocrinologist, Dr. Deepak Chopra's saying ... "for health, one must escape from the hypnosis of social conditioning." New learning is part of the solution, but the greater challenge is getting rid of OLD destructive beliefs.

That said ... I think NLP (neuro linguistic programming ... or medical hypnosis) is one of the best methods for behaviour change (motivation). Human actions are not a result of rational, conscious thought ... but rather, the result of beliefs contained in the subconscious. And as the term implies, most people have no idea what messages are contained there or how to change them. Altering what's stored in the subconscious mind can permanently alter behaviour. Daily habits (lifestyle), of course, are what creates health or illness and it's a never ending journey ... process, not a destination.

I could ramble for pages ... gee, maybe even a whole book :) If you'd like to know more about alkalinity, read "The Ph Miracle" by Dr. Robert O. Young. I do NOT believe everything he says, nor do I follow ALL his dietary suggestions (I eat some types of meat). But, the part about alkalinity and the fact that we are not victims of illness ... rather we create an internal environment that is either hospitable, or not, to disease, makes sense.

You can buy PHydrion (vivid 6-8 scale) PH strip paper in small coils (ebay or some drug stores / health food shops) and test saliva first thing in the morning. It should be 6.8 or above (toward blue scale is better). Interesting to test little children ... they are almost ALWAYS very blue ... younger and stronger immune systems.

I once spoke to an endocrinologist who said (about health books) "everyone is a little bit right." I think that's true. Almost every book read gives greater insight and a few tips that I may or may not adopt ... depending on whether it fits into current framework. I also just look for sensible evidence and attempt to remain open minded. I've worked in the conventional health care system (public hospitals ... in Australia, Canada and the U.S.) for over 20 years, but tend to be unconventional and into preventative care. Am also not fond of hospitals. If we spent as much on health education, nutrition counselling and psychological services as we do on drugs, we'd all be better off.

Other books I like: (mine!!! :) ... I won't mention here as it will seem like blatant advertising ... but ask, if interested). Also like, Mastering the Zone by Dr. Barry Sears (bashed in the popular media by powerful food company money - did you believe it?), Protein Power and The Diabetes Solution by Dr Richard K. Bernstein ... a real eye opener as it flies in the face of convention and has overwhelming evidence for the conclusions. It was recommended to me by a 72 year old professor of Nutrition from the University of Toronto (Bob Bruce). I almost fell off my chair after reading it as it totally dismissed what I'd been telling diabetic patients for almost 10 years. Yet I knew it was true. I'd been taught INCORRECTLY ... and not just a little wrong ... wildly so.

Anyways, I digress. But it's a great book and also motivated me to write. I feel a lot of passion for the topic because of all the needless suffering I've seen ... terrible pain that could easily be avoided.

Summary:

To control insulin - ask me
Learn to alkalize - read "The Ph Miracle"

Best to all of you. C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 15 September 2005 - 07:11 PM.

#2 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

does NLP have any good evidence behind it?

#3 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hello Dougie, Do a Google search on Dr. Milton Erickson. NLP is based, in part, on his work. And yes, I would not have mentioned this approach if I did not believe there was strong evidence for its value. Regards, C.C.

#4 geosing

geosing

• Traders-Talk User
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

Other books I like:  (mine!!!  :) ... I won't mention here as it will seem like blatant advertising ... but ask, if interested). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay... advertise away. What is the title of the book?

I have been consuming copious amounts of some vile tasting (quite good actually) green liquid stuff and apple cider vinegar to bring down the acidity. Can't be the diet as I am vegan and low acidic components. Odd that vinegar which is acidic actually promotes alkalinity. Odder is to find this topic in FF. :blink:

#5 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Geosing - do you eat many grains? Most grains are acid-producing foods, flax would be an exception. Calmcookie, you have peaked my interest! Can you tell us about this book of yours? I am a big fan now of the work of Andreas Moritz, BTW. Also, I was introduced to NMT, Neuro Modulation Technique, for healing, by my chiropractor. It has helped me a lot.

#6 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

geosing - when you get this solved, please let me know if you are willing to share what you have learned at a website I started this week for the purpose of assembling educational resources on health subjects for use by family and friends. Thanks.

I know CC's book, but its seems appropriate to let her answer that inquiry.

here is a link to the site:

http://hiker-healthwatch.blogspot.com/

#7 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

Here are some resource links with related info. on acidity/alkalinity...btw, water and its source is a frequent contributor to this issue -

http://www.ccone.com...ph-balance.html

water link, many authors recommend against drinking distilled water for a variety of reasons -

http://chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

Geosing, Thanks for your comment. Can I ask who recommended vinegar? I STRONGLY recommend NOT consuming any type of vinegar or foods high in vinegar (pickles, mustard, mayonnaise etc). Dr. Young who wrote the "Ph Miracle" also describes vinegar as "pure poison." Vinegar may improve taste, but there are several reasons why it contributes to greater acidity. Also: think about how potent vinegar is (it cleans some metals quite well ... how does it behave in your system? :) Vinegar, regrettably, is one of those cheap ingredients that restaurant owners love to mix in with almost every side dish, since it easily adds flavor. Interesting story I heard from a patient - the only change he said he made in his diet was to give up vinegar (and vinegar containing foods) and his toe nail fungus (that he'd had for over 4 years) finally cleared up. Sorry for rather distasteful topic ... but nail fungus is one of the things that disappears quickly once optimal alkalinity is restored. More later about book etc, (actually not sure I want to give up annonymity on the board ... might have to worry about reputation ... less likely to play around with silly poetry etc :P . C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 15 September 2005 - 10:00 PM.

#9 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

More later about book etc :( :(
Andy House, Texas Man, Accidentally Drives 2006 Bugatti Veyron Into Salt Marsh

http://www.zimbio.co...Veyron Crashing

#10 geosing

geosing

• Traders-Talk User
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:58 PM

Also: think about how potent vinegar is (it cleans some metals quite well ... how does it behave in your system?  :) 

I do use the cheap vinegar for cleaning scales from distillers. However I was referring to natural undistilled, unheated apple cider vinegar ... which is basically crushed apple fermented. I have known it as a therapeutic agent almost all my life and it is part of traditional medicine where I come from. Hasn't corroded my system (of 70 years or so). :D

Back to read only mode till October.

Geo
PS:
Short ACV reference