#1 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

http://www.amazon.co...=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.co...=books&v=glance

and some of the inner practices mentioned in these books benefit the long-term sustainability of trading.

-----------

brief summary of the second book written by T. Miller:

After establishing our instinctual need for More, he pursues its destructive consequences and then he outlines a methodology for transcending the cycle. His infinitely pragmatic advice centers on his elaboration of Compassion, Attention, and Gratitude. Here is perennial wisdom transformed into practical science.

-----------

brief summary of the first book:

The premise of this book is simple and well presented: imperfection is a common attribute that should be embraced, not eschewed.

Edited by hiker, 26 October 2005 - 07:58 PM.

#2 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

Hey Hiker, Sounds like I better order a couple copies of each. :P Doug

#3 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

:D

#4 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

I reserved one of the books at my library. They look interesting. Hiker, I like your posts. If you move to another board; please post that. I think you and IYB should get together to write a book titled: Zen and the art of Trading. My style of investing is not like yours - I just want to get to the point of investing and tweeking every now and then. I do admire the balance you appear to have in your life. That is one thing missing from all this talk about the markets. It is about what all the profits can do for you. Regards
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

Dex - thanks for the feedback. I will remain here. I also post:

http://forums.techni...618?forum=30657

btw, the affirmations at the end of each chapter in the first book are really interesting.

You ever read any books by Og Mandino? He has some very useful things to say in an entertaining manner.

http://www.ogmandino.com/index.htm

Edited by hiker, 27 October 2005 - 09:24 PM.

#6 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:54 AM

Hiker, Another audio book I added to my library list. Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later. Og Mandino Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be. Og Mandino Always seek out the seed of triumph in every adversity. Og Mandino Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again. Og Mandino Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence. Og Mandino Do all things with love. Og Mandino Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough. Og Mandino I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. Og Mandino I have never heard anything about the resolutions of the apostles, but a good deal about their acts. Og Mandino I seek constantly to improve my manners and graces, for they are the sugar to which all are attracted. Og Mandino I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. Og Mandino It is those who concentrates on but one thing at a time who advance in this world. The great man or woman is the one who never steps outside his or her specialty or foolishly dissipates his or her individuality. Og Mandino Love doesn't sit there like a stone, it has to be made, like bread: remade all the time, made new. Og Mandino Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them. Failure is... the highway to success. Og Mandino Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new. Og Mandino The only certain means of is to render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be. Og Mandino The person who knows one thing and does it better than anyone else, even if it only be the art of raising lentils, receives the crown he merits. If he raises all his energy to that end, he is a benefactor of mankind and its rewarded as such. Og Mandino The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to fulfilling your dreams. Og Mandino To be always intending to make a new and better life but never to find time to set about it is as to put off eating and drinking and sleeping from one day to the next until you're dead. Og Mandino To do anything truly worth doing, I must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in with gusto and scramble through as well as I can. Og Mandino Treasure the love you receive above all. It will survive long after your good health has vanished. Og Mandino You never know what events are going to transpire to get you home.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#7 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

Dex - thank you for the post above!