• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

Study Questions Health Effects of Decaf By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Wed Nov 16, 8:50 PM DALLAS - Fresh questions are percolating about the health effects of coffee, this time the decaffeinated variety. One of the first substantial studies to test it like a drug instead of just asking people how much of it they consumed found higher blood levels of cholesterol-precursor fats in those drinking decaf vs. regular coffee or none at all. But the differences were very small, especially when compared with the effects of, say, the doughnut that might be dunked into the brew. "I don't think there's a health threat," regardless of which type of coffee is consumed, said Dr. H. Robert Superko of Fuqua Heart Center in Atlanta, who did the study when previously at Stanford University. He reported on it Wednesday at an American Heart Association conference. It was one of the few coffee studies not funded by industry _ federal taxpayers picked up the more than $1 million tab. (If you think that's a lot of money, consider that more than half of Americans drink three cups or more a day). Participants were given Mr. Coffee machines, premeasured bags of Maxwell House, and periodic blood tests so scientists could tell just how much caffeine and coffee they had consumed over eight weeks. The 187 volunteers were put into three groups: no coffee, 3 to 6 cups a day of regular, or 3 to 6 cups of decaf. Coffee was consumed black, no cream or sugar. Diet surveys were taken for a week at the beginning and the end so researchers could evaluate whether changes in eating habits might have affected results. The result: decaf drinkers had modestly higher levels _ 8 to 18 percent _ of fatty acids and precursors of LDL or bad cholesterol than the others. Nobody knows why, but Superko has some guesses. Fats give coffee flavor, and a more flavorful species of beans, robusta, is commonly used for decaf to make up for the flavonoids and other ingredients that are lost during the decaffeination process. Regular coffee uses a different bean, arabica. However, several experts were skeptical of the whole thing. "That's interesting, but it would not affect my recommendations to patients," said Dr. Donald Lavan, a cardiologist at the University of Pennsylvania and a heart association spokesman. "This whole area of coffee and heart disease has been brewing with inconsistent evidence of harmful effect," said Dr. Lawrence Appel of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Ronald Krauss, a nutrition expert from the University of California at Berkeley who is on the heart association's board of directors, said the theory needed testing in a bigger study. Until then, this one "should not be the basis for making any recommendations to the public," he said. NOTE: My cancer DR. told me to never drink decaff. FWIW.
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#2 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

my Father's heart doc also told him same many years ago.

#3 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

FWIW - People CAN live very active, energetic lives WITHOUT coffee. Personally, coffee makes me sweat, gives me headaches and creates a roller coaster ride of revved up activity, followed by a crash in emotions and physical well-being. It also plays havoc with sleep patterns. So, FOR ME, it doesn't work and I've not had it in many years. I usually tell people ... if it works for YOU and you feel well and have NO physical complaints ... and I mean NONE (I believe it affects many aspects of health), then I suppose there is no reason for you to change. Now this is going to sound WEIRD ... but, I'm unconventional and really don't care what people think ... much :P . For the past few months, I've been making this great GREEN drink ... just put well washed dark leafy greens (not spinach though) into a blender with a bunch of sunflower, alfalfa and broccoli sprouts ... and a little red bell pepper. I blend it all with a couple of cups water, then freeze in 1 cup portions. I always keep some liquid form in the fridge and every morning ... first thing ... put 1/4 cup of the green stuff in a big glass of water and drink it. OKAY, YOU MIGHT THINK THIS IS AWFUL AND YOU MIGHT BE LAUGHING ... BUT, IT MAKES ME FEEL TERRIFIC AND ENERGETIC. And from a measurment point of view, my saliva alkalinity has improved significantly, which is an excellent measure of health. Good luck and be well, C.C. :P :D :P

Edited by calmcookie, 17 November 2005 - 02:08 PM.

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

Why the green drink? Few dispute the nutritional value of DARK leafy greens, but eating all those BIG salads can get really boring and tedious, not to mention having to shop for FRESH greens all the time and then timing it so it doesn't go bad in the fridge. Making a big batch, then freezing in smaller portions and removing as you need it, then taking a quick drink (instead of chowing down on giant salads) ... well, it works for me. Green lady, C.C. :P :) :P (p.s. - also avoids vinegar ... another good thing)

Edited by calmcookie, 17 November 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:59 PM

good info. CC...thanks. Anything dark green seems to make one feel good.

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

Thanks hiker,

I think the key is that these are RAW greens, loaded with nutrients ... and freezing preserves the vast majority of vitamins / minerals and enzymes. Often, something like cooked brocolli (which most people consider "healthy" can be overheated and will lose its value). With the "green drink", one could essentially make up whatever combination you wish ... things like parsley, beet greens, colard greens, any kind of sprouts (POTENT nutrition!) etc etc. I personally avoid spinach ... for several reasons, and kale can be too bitter. But, there are many other options. I vary the recipe every couple of weeks. And thoroughly blending these raw veges also helps with digestion.

A great book about sprouts is "The complete guide to sprouting" by Steve Meyerwitz ... cured himself of asthma and a few other chronic ills.

Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food. ... uttered by a far wiser person than I.

One of these days I'll list some of the other "weird" things I do. But honestly ... I NEVER get sick and have more energy at mid life than I had as a teenager.

Life can be great ... one little habit at a time. C.C. :P :D :P

Edited by calmcookie, 17 November 2005 - 11:18 PM.

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,011 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

CC, Question: Isn't the "bitterness" of kale, spinach, and perhaps chard a function of alkalinity? Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

CC,

Question: Isn't the "bitterness" of kale, spinach, and perhaps chard a function of alkalinity?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Fresh picked Kale is usually not bitter. It's storage at warm temperatures that create the bitter taste.
The longer it's stored ... and the warmer ... the more bitter. There are highly alkaline drinks, like wheatgrass juice that CAN (depending on where you buy it) taste quite sweet. Of course this is a function of the soil it's grown in.

And MSS, my friend, I agree with you about decaf coffee ... too long to go into reasons, but the further processing into decaf is WORSE than drinking caffeine.

But, why should humans need uppers and downers (coffee and alcohol ... or other drugs) ... why can't we FEEL life the way it is? Why must we numb our senses? Getting to that state can be hard, but I think a drug free life is the only way to live
(okay, I have some wine occasionally :P ... but I'm talking about HABITUAL use). We humans do not have to have drug crutches ... such habits are just culturally conditioned ... we are brainwashed into believing that these things are NORMAL. But, they are not normal or natural or needed. There is a way to live well, without uppers or downers ... problem is, people are too afraid to experience this balance.

When you really tune into your senses and feel a bit tired, perhaps a nap is what your body is wanting ... not a jolt of caffeine. Listen to your body ... HEALING IS WITHIN YOU. As is your spirit.

Be well MSS ... do what you think is best ... if you're results are good ... no need to change.

Kind regards, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 10 February 2006 - 12:15 PM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

"This whole area of coffee and heart disease has been brewing with inconsistent evidence of harmful effect," said Dr. Lawrence Appel of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Ronald Krauss, a nutrition expert from the University of California at Berkeley who is on the heart association's board of directors, said the theory needed testing in a bigger study. Until then, this one "should not be the basis for making any recommendations to the public,"

Well that's very clear.

I do not drink decaf. What a waste of time!
I understand that Decaf coffee was originally discovered as bags of coffee sitting on the decks of ships during long ocean voyages were washed with the salty sea spray thus leaching out the precious caffeine.
This coffee was obviously ruined! However quick thinking found a new marketing scheme for this useless cargo!

There are postivie properties to coffee.
(Of course extremes in anything are almost always harmful.)

So as I sip my morning coffee black, I'm enjoying it's antioxident/neuroprotective properties.
http://coffeescience.org/antioxidant

NOTE: I am currently in training for St. Patrick's Day.
So later tonight I will be enjoying the antioxidant properties of Guiness beer. Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 February 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#10 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,011 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

Another health benefit of coffee is that people don't die when I drive in the morning. :o I know I could live without my Starbucks Italian Roast, but I'm not sure I want to. :lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter