• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Rodger and Echo. I am also not blaming doctors. Most enter the profession with good intentions and attempt to remain honorable. But doctors are obviously just people and subject to the same human motivation as anyone else. You cannot send your kids to college by spending an hour teaching someone about healthy eating habits. If health education, preventative health and mental health programs were high profit areas, we'd have no trouble pushing nutrition, moderate exercise and stress management, instead of pills and surgery. Billion dollar pharmaceutical companies and food conglomerates control the herds belief system. Until that changes, people will keep getting sick and dying before their time. Regrettably, many of these needless deaths are horrific ... end stage diabetes with its amputations, blindness, kidney failure and rampant infections is not something I'd wish on anyone. Helping to prevent these things is my passion. It's not doctors who are flawed, it's the CURRENT MEDICAL SYSTEM and lack of economic incentives for health education. But, things will change ... am convinced of it ... and optimistic. Off to do my Sunday evening hospital shift. Best to all, C.C. :)

#12 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Rodger and Echo.

I am also not blaming doctors.  Most enter the profession with good intentions and attempt to remain honorable.  But doctors are obviously just people and subject to the same human motivation as anyone else. You cannot send your kids to college by spending an hour teaching someone about healthy eating habits. If health education, preventative health and mental health programs were high profit areas, we'd have no trouble pushing nutrition, moderate exercise and stress management, instead of pills and surgery. 

Billion dollar pharmaceutical companies and food conglomerates control the herds belief system.  Until that changes, people will keep getting sick and dying before their time. Regrettably, many of these needless deaths are horrific ... end stage diabetes with its amputations, blindness, kidney failure and rampant infections is not something I'd wish on anyone.  Helping to prevent these things is my passion.

It's not doctors who are flawed, it's the CURRENT MEDICAL SYSTEM and lack of economic incentives for health education.

But, things will change ... am convinced of it ... and optimistic.

Off to do my Sunday evening hospital shift.

Best to all,  C.C.    :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, C.C.

With that point of view, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree with you more. There is so much potential for prevention with many illnesses, that if the proper economic incentives where in place, tremendous advances could take place. Unfortunately, with continued increased expenses across the board for doctors, along with continued declining reimbursements by Medicare and third party payers, where is the incentive for physicians to spend more time explaining prevention, subtle dietary/exercise advise other than honorable good intentions.

I too remain optimistic. Take care.

Echo

#13 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Today, on his radio show Dr. Dean Edell (http://www.healthcentral.com/) was asked about the efficacy of an Aloe Vera pill.
The caller said the pill was "used to treat" various ailments.
Dr. Edell pointed out that the advertisement wording said it is "used to treat" various ailments.
It did NOT say it was "useful" in the treatment of various ailments. ;) BIG DIFFERENCE.

Then he mentioned today a study in which Aloe vera paste was applied to c-section incisions.
The scaring was actually made worse by this "natural" "all purpose" "cure".

So there is much unbiased study which needs to be done concerning the usefulness of "natural" products.

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

As to the study which revealed "that the more access people have to modern medical "care" the worse off they are." Could it be because these same people lead a "softer" life with access to "labor saving" appliances. They may eat more food rich in fats. Could it be that the people who "access medical care more" do so because they are sick already? You have to be careful of the "spin" put on studies. I believe some of these studies are part of a push towards total government control of health care. That will be great! <_<