Photo

ALKALIZE - explanation. How PH affects HEALTH.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Alkalize

Disease and premature aging is the NORM for North Americans. If you don’t want to be average (sick, on drugs and dying before your time), then believe in possibilities and be willing to stand aside from the crowd.

Do you want to be well?

If so, test your morning saliva with pHydrion Vivid strips, 6-8 (or other brand). It should be toward the blue end of the spectrum (over 7 is alkaline, under 7 is acidic). Most children test toward the blue end, whereas the elderly and those with cancer and other illnesses tend to be yellow (acidic).

Steps toward alkalinity
:

1) Begin to avoid, or cut down on:

- Vinegar and anything containing vinegar (soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickles, mayonnaise etc)

- Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners (found in “diet” soft drinks and other foods). Stevia is fine.

- White bread, white biscuits, white pasta, anything that contains white flour and yeast.

- Peanuts (see list of approved nuts).

- Margarine, corn oil

- Coffee and black tea (habitual use of these, alone, will prevent you from becoming alkaline). I know, I know, you think you need coffee ... I tell you, it ain't so :-). It's just a culturally conditioned belief (and addiction).

- Most packaged, highly processed foods, especially those containing partially hydrogenated fats (also known as trans fats). Read the label.

2) Think GREEN. Start eating more:

- Dark, green leafy vegetables, such as: dark lettuce, parsley, collard and other greens.

- Fresh, enzyme rich sprouts, such as alfalfa, broccoli, sunflower, lentils, sweet pea, mung bean, radish, chia, quinoa. Many of these are available at your local grocer or books explain how to grow them at home.

And if you're currently ill or would like to speed up your move to alkalinity, here's a GREEN DRINK recipe:

- 4 cups sprouts (any kind or a mix)

- 4 cups dark leafy greens

- 1/4 cup fresh parsley

- 1 peeled cucumber

- a few stalks of tender celery

- dash of tumeric

- a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide

Chop up, then toss all ingredients into a blender or food processor with sufficient water to blend. Dilute further, with water, before drinking and use first thing in the morning and before evening meal.

Larger batches of drink can be frozen in small portions to maintain freshness. Wheatgrass juice will also raise ph levels and is available in most health food stores.

3) Use simple baking soda to brush your teeth. NOT Colgate toothpaste "with baking soda." Just plain Arm & Hammer (or other brand) powdered soda.

4) Regularly gargle with inexpensive, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. This percentage is commonly available in most pharmacies. No need to dilute further. It promotes alkalinity and whiter teeth.

5) Make sure the water that you're habitually drinking has a ph above 7. Many so called "purified" waters are acidic. You can add a small amount (less than 1/8 teaspoon) baking soda to drinking water to make it alkaline. Better, however, to find a regular source that has ph above 7. Consider using a good water purifier. Consumers magazine ranks the most effective brands.

6) You become what you practice. Are your shoulders tense right now? Chronic stress dumps adrenaline and cortisol into your bloodstream, which makes it more acidic. Be aware of your body tension. If you practice being uptight, hurried, driven, and act as if life is an emergency ... then you're health will suffer. Few things in life are true emergencies. Be aware of muscular tension. Learn how to stay chronically calm and relaxed, despite external events. Yoga is one method, or Dr. Herbert Benson also has good relaxation methods. YOU BECOME WHAT YOU PRACTICE.

7) The Chinese have a saying that translates to: "death begins in the bowels." Over 70% of U.S. hospital patients have some degree of bowel dysfunction. This causes a wide range of problems, from abdominal pain, headaches, fatigue, the need for intestinal surgery and / or colostomies and even sudden death (severe bowel obstruction).

Acidity promotes constipation and constipation promotes acidity (growth of bacteria, fungus and other pathogens). It becomes a cycle.
Learn to alkalize and if you're a meat eater, use a minimum of 2 tablespoons of oat bran, once in the morning, and once before dinner. You do not need expensive (and potentially harmful) laxatives, or other pharmaceuticals. Just use bulk (no pun intended :-) oat bran from your local health food store.

Meat is more difficult to digest than plant food and therefore sits in your intestines for a longer period of time. If you enjoy meat, you will require adequate fibre to maintain health.

If your system is seriously out of balance (you have disease symptoms), then consider starting your move toward alkalinity with a fasting cleanse. Again, you do not need special "colon cleanse" kits. There are several books available on fasting and cleansing your system. Just be sure to consume enough water and use low carb liquids (not the "maple syrup" cleanse!). Consult a health professional before starting any fasting cleanse, especially if you're taking prescription medication for diabetes or other disorders.

#2 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thank You, C.C. Long ago I had a booklet called "Foods that preserve the alkaline reserve." In it, figs and fig juice were listed as having potent alkalizing effects for humans -- fig juice in particular was listed as several times higher than just about everything else. Doug

#3 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

http://www.naturalcu...s&&ProductId=12
vitaminm

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

Thank You, C.C.

Long ago I had a booklet called "Foods that preserve the alkaline reserve." In it, figs and fig juice were listed as having potent alkalizing effects for humans -- fig juice in particular was listed as several times higher than just about everything else.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I don't know much about Fig juice ... it may have plenty of fibre and that's good ... BUT, if it's like most fruit juices, it will be high in carbohydrate ... and LIQUID sugar (carbs) is something to avoid. Carbo (sugar) loaded drinks (especially sodas, but even other juices) have a HIGH glycemic index. These shoot up your insulin response ... BAD! Preferred carbs are SLOW acting ones that take time to get into your blood stream. Such things as whole and unprocessed foods, rye, millet, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, lentils, fibrous vegetables. If you can see the individual whole grain in bread ... that's good. Eating an intact piece of fruit is also better than drinking juice, in part because it's lower carb and also because the fruit fibre is consumed.

Regrettably, there are many small pieces to the puzzle :) .

And Vitamin man ... yes, thank you for the link. I've read the "Natural Cures" book, by Kevin Trudeau. Don't agree with everything, but believe he's spot on about the major issues ... and has hit a mass culture nerve ... especially getting people to wake up to how the FDA, drug companies and food conglomerates operate ... that's a brave and worthwhile goal ... in my humble opinion.

More later about Oxygen and Insulin.

Best to all, C.C. :) :P :)

Edited by calmcookie, 30 January 2006 - 12:28 PM.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:25 AM

"becoming alkaline?"

CC, do you have any scientific research (not anecdotal
) you can point me to which shows a link in eating acidic foods (such as pickles) and an acid "acidosis" condition in the blood?

All the research I find shows that acidosis is caused primarily by disease.

In view of the extremely caustic hydrochloric
acid in the stomach, it seems that a pickle would hardly be noticed.

Call me a skeptic who likes coffee.

(Man this type is big! I hear that eating pickles improves vision.) :blink: :P

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for comment. What I tell people is - IF you're happy with your current state of health, then just keep doing what you've been doing. If you feel good eating pickles and drinking coffee (or whatever else you want to do), and you have no disease symptoms, then: GOOD FOR YOU ... keep enjoying life!

It's only if you're looking for answers to health concerns ... things that are bugging you and have not been helped by conventional medicine. It's a bit like trading ... if you're consistently winning ... no need to change ... but, if you're headed for broke ... time to re-assess and at least TRY something different.

Know, however, that there are also clear, objective measures of health (rather than just "opinion" of how you're doing) that have strong statistical correlation to longevity and avoidance of chronic illness. These include numerical results for LDL cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides, fasting insulin levels, HBA1c, resting heart rate and a few others. If all are elevated, you have what physicians call "Syndrome X" and the evidence for it's dangers are overwhelming. But, I digress.

I could go on, but already spent 4 years writing a book, and will not repeat here. I can only tell you - I DO know what I'm talking about.

A reasonable book about Alkalinity is - "The Ph Miracle" by Robert O. Young. Although I dislike the term "Miracle" ... it's an apt description of what I have personally seen occur. There are about 80 references in the back of that book. I don't agree with everything he says (I eat meat, he does not) ... but as a wonderful endocrinologist, I know, said "everyone is a little bit right."

People have to think for themselves and pick up various bits of information ... then form their own "health" system. Hey, just like trading :P .

Laugh a lot and enjoy your Starbucks!

C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 02 February 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hi CC. I subscribe to the idea of balanced moderation in diet. A pickle and a cup of Joe is probably harmless especially when compared to the quarter-pound triple cheeseburger and fries we ate it with. And for most of us there is more of a problem with how much we eat rather than what. Another problem is the genetic predisposition to disease. But this opinion comes from a guy who has been blessed with exceptionally good health. RD

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hi CC.
I subscribe to the idea of balanced moderation in diet.
A pickle and a cup of Joe is probably harmless especially when compared to the quarter-pound triple cheeseburger and fries we ate it with.
And for most of us there is more of a problem with how much we eat rather than what.
Another problem is the genetic predisposition to disease.
But this opinion comes from a guy who has been blessed with exceptionally good health.
RD

Hi RD,

Yes, I agree that the QUANTITY of food eaten by many North Americans IS the biggest health threat. In fact, caloric restriction is the only proven method of increasing longevity in animals (and probably humans, but we've been unable to get them in those little lab cages). Maybe next year :D .

And yes, there's certainly a genetic component to health. Some people are blessed with a strong constitution ... they seem to eat whatever they want and still feel great. BUT ... again, if someone is having problems, it's all about optimizing your genetic potential ... looking for solutions ... searching and searching and searching and trying different things and learning along the way ... until finally, with enough persistence, patience and experimentation ... those dang RESULTS start to improve.

There are so many analogies between how we achieve trading success or health results .... or even relationship success ... if it isn't working ... then try something else. If I write a nasty post and annoy everyone and isolate myself ... well, that doesn't work too well and I better re-assess and try something new! :P

Yes, the sheer joy of continued learning ... what else is there? We are so lucky to have opportunities in this great country.

So, if you're happy with the RESULTS of your daily habits ... and it sounds like you are ... then, to quote a friend, just "keep believing what you've been believing and you'll keep achieving what you've been achieving." :P

Time to head to work.

Health and longevity to all, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 04 February 2006 - 02:50 PM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:12 PM

I just know that twice in my life I almost died from choking on a raw carrot. TRUE STORY! I think the grease in french fries make them go down safely. :lol:

#10 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

I think the grease in french fries make them go down safely.

Hi Rodger ... what's wrong, is chewing too much work? :P Maybe you also need one of those scooter carts to buy your french fries. We should just hook you up to intravenous sugar. :D :lol: :D

You're funny Rodger and I LOVE a good laugh ... but kidding aside, when you've seen as much suffering as I have .... mainly diabetes patients ... blindness, kidney failure (dialysis), amputations, strokes, cellulitis, heart attacks and other horrible afflictions. Well, FOOD intake plays a major role in these problems. Unfortunately, most people just don't think it will happen to them. So, health education is a thankless task ... an uphill battle. But, I still enjoy it and shall never get off my soap box, because:

If I can stop one heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one life the aching
Or cool one pain
Or help one fainting Robin
Unto it's nest again
I shall not live in vain

(Emily Dickenson)

Signed, Miss never give up, health educator, C.C. :) :huglove:

Edited by calmcookie, 05 February 2006 - 10:13 AM.