Photo

"Benefits" of low fat diet BLOWN OUT OF WATER!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

CC, I'm probably not a good poster child for health on the surface. We work so much and we don't exercise hardly at all (though I'm going to be "in training" for fishing season and I'm working on Holly to do the same this week, and I have a pseudo yoga practice that I sporadically do). That said, perhaps we are. I doubt many have much more stress, work many more hours, and get much less exercise. We also eat (and cook) very well and we aren't shy about quantities. We also love to drink wine. By dead rights, we ought to be very heavy. Huge in fact. But we aren't. What do we do (for 2 people)? Well, we don't buy potatoes much. Just occasionally for a special meal (like steak au poivre). When we do, we basically cut the core out and focus on the skin. We oven roast them in olive oil in this instance. We rarely have pasta (I'd guess 1-2 times a year not counting veggie lasagne or home-made venison or duck ravioli). The only rice we eat is wild rice. Unless it's a very high heat application, we exclusively use olive oil for cooking. We eat Amish chicken 1-2 times a week with vegetables for 4 (no starch). We eat beef, usually grilled 1 time a week, typically with a Caesar salad (2-3 hearts of Romaine). (Side note, we go through 1-4 HEADS of garlc each week. The above alone uses 1 head.) We eat fish 1-2 times a week, if it's salmon, it's wild. "From scratch" Soups are common in our diet during winter. We'll regularly have a large field green salad with goat cheese and good bread (artisnal). Lamb chops, racks or butterflied legs are common, especially when eggplant is in season (1-2 lbs of grilled baby eggplant for 2 people). Pork tenderloin medallions (no hormone and no/low antibiotic) and steamed broccoli (2-3 heads) is another standby. Lots of garlic and rosemary there. Venison is fairly common in our diet, as are rabbit and duck. Again, with similar vegetable quantities and little starch. Most of what we eat is full of the freshest herbs (fresh or dry) we can find. When we buy butter (and we do use it where called for), it's always the highest quality, fresh, bulk sweet butter. I make all our stock from scratch, usually in large quantities. I make our chicken stock with Amish backs, necks, our trimmings from boned breasts, and chicken feet. We also use lots of fresh, organic vegetables in the stock. Whenever I can find a good culinary spot for mushrooms, especially wild or shiitake, I use them. We try to eat olives with regularity and occasionally but regularly off-beat cheeses (like goat, sheep, and aged cheeses-hard and soft). We take vitamin suppliments and psyllium husk with some regularity. We almost excusively drink red wine (no beer and very few spirits). We don't drink high sugar fruit juices. In fact, we are probably a little light on sweet fruits, but we're pretty heavy on tomatoes. We also consume a minimum of 50 ounces of filtered water each day, more if we're active. Often we'll drink as much as 100 oz of water, especially during the summer. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that if we'd find time to work out we'd be pretty darned fit with our diet. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#12 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

humble1: how many fat tubs of pig grease i see walking around each day

:D :lol: Come on, Humble1, tell us how you really feel! I love this stuff (especially with this screen name). A real, gut-basic, no-holds-barred description there. :P

Great thread, great comments, and Mark, your post made me so #%@#&? hungry. On the "if we'd find time to work out" -- I agree wholeheartedly. I used to be a daily runner, and while I'm not saying exercise makes up for bad nutrition, it still "makes all the difference in the world." Back in the day, there was a place south of Canton, Ohio, called "Bear Creek Steakhouse." They had a six pound steak, and if you could eat it plus a baked potato and salad in 90 minutes or less, you got it free. The place burned down in the late 1980s but not before I set the speed record: 19 minutes.

And yeah, processed simply carbohydrates are wicked, especially in the quantities that many of us consume. I shudder to think....

Doug (If I shudder enough, does that count as a daily workout?)

#13 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:30 PM

CC,

We take vitamin suppliments and psyllium husk with some regularity.

Hi Mark,

Your food choices sound good to me.
Did you intend the pun about "regularity" :lol:

#14 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

No, CC, but I should have! :lol: Let's just put it behind us.... :o M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#15 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

No, CC, but I should have! :lol:

Let's just put it behind us....

:o

M

behind us? :lol: :D :lol: ...

Sure ... let's dump that subject. It's all water under the bridge.

Edited by calmcookie, 14 February 2006 - 12:01 PM.