• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

Another "natural" huckster gets caught deluding the public....

Click this link:

Dietary Supplement Maker Garden of Life Settles FTC Charges

He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

DId you notice in the above that the total sales of this one shop was 47 million dollars? That's just one little fake "vitamin" company out there making false claims and scamming the public. Any outrage over that?

Here' what my group is doing (American College of Physicians):

Direct-to-consumer drug ads debated at Senate hearing. The American College of Physicians (ACP), which represents 119,000 doctors of internal medicine and medical students, would like Congress to ban direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising of prescription drugs. On September 29, in testimony before the Senate Special Committee on Aging, Donna Sweet, M.D., chair of the ACP’s Board of Regents, charged that DTC advertising creates patient misperceptions, results in inefficient use of valuable physician time, challenges a physician’s professional authority, inflates drug costs, and can ultimately compromise patient access to lifesaving treatments. Presentations were also made by the FDA, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, Public Citizen's Health Research Group, and a University of California physician who investigated the impact of DTC ads on antidepressant prescribing. Their written testimony and a Webcast of the entire hearing are accessible via the committee's Web site.

#3 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

All I can see is two groups of scammers (ACP and vitamin shops) trying to monopolize the market, while the real public is left in the cold.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#4 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

All I can see is two groups of scammers (ACP and vitamin shops) trying to monopolize the market, while the real public is left in the cold.

Greenie,

Sorry you feel that way. ACP and the others listed are trying to get the drug companies to stop direct market peddling to consumers in order to improve education and decrease the perception that medication
(or the latest most expensive medication) is what a person needs.

To me, that smacks of integrity. Very different from the Vitamin scammers who sell stuff that has shown to be ineffective, make inflated and false claims and con billions out of consumers. We police our activity in medicine and constantly strive to right what is wrong and prove what is true.

Did you know that by 1993 in the USA consumers spent more money out of pocket on so-called "alternative" care than on standard medicine? Perhaps that explains why people are increasingly unhealthy?

mm