• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:00 AM

patterns must be observed and the trader/fisher person makes decisions about how to work with the pattern: fish are finnicky like stocks are...you must be in a position relative to the location of the fish so that presentation of the fly or lure or bait appears to be like nature, and the movement to accomplish this feat must also not be observed by the fish to be unnatural. mother nature offers wind, brush, rocks, and water bound debris that must be considered when the fisher person considers the method of presentation and the drift pattern that follows the fisher person must consider what the pattern of the fish's route will be if the fish accepts the lure pattern and presentation pattern and what obstacles the fish and attached line will traverse during the fish's most probable "chart pattern" of escape Just a few observations about the similarities and the prevalence of pattern in the trading activity as well as the fishing activity. Yes, I agree with some that fishing trains the human being to live and exist within an activity environment where patterns determine the correct or most probable winning choices for desired outcomes I will embelish the above with a story of one of my final fishing outing last fall in the canyon of the Teton River...the pattern that emerged when I was fishing the usual 1/2 mile stretch of isolated canyon that requires a hike for access, was a mother moose and her young on the other side of the river who noticed us when my dog stood up on a rock while I was wading to shore...I went to an escape pattern and the fishing ended immediately. Hope others follow up with Mark's earlier post weeks ago about fishing and TA.

Edited by hiker, 04 April 2006 - 01:03 AM.

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day. Sometimes, fly fishing is a lot like a lot of things. E.g. Tuesday, I was making some long casts. Pretty. Accurate. And utterly useless because I couldn't see my fly well nor could I mend the line well to get a good drift. When I shortened my casts and focused on executing the basics well, I had hit after hit and caught several fish. When I first started trading, I made some dramatic calls and picked a number of tops. I also didn't do very well. Simiarly, when I started day trading, I would trade counter trend and I was amazingly artful at it. I actually had 70-75% winners. Of course, the gains were very small and I was a broker's wet dream. When I decided to simply wait for set ups within the larger trend or simply stick with the larger trend, I had more and larger gains. It wasn't sexy, but it was profitable. Also, a lot more fun. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter