• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:14 AM

just sent this to someone who is currently having difficulty dealing with present life challenges, and thought you may like this positive spin on difficulty: book title: Better than Money Can Buy author - Joseph Kilpatrick and Sanford Danziger, MD these two authors are founders of the Human Service Alliance in NC which was founded to provide free in-residence hospice and free medical care for terminally ill patients without financial resources...and as a result of what the volunteer nurses and docs learned from the patients, they developed a program to teach the public at large that we each have the power to choose to live and act as a "totally responsible person" or as a victim person. page 79 excerpt - "They developed the following statement to serve as a reminder of what it would take to maintain awareness of victim mentality: I completely and wholly accept that everything that has ever happened to me, that is presently happening to me, and that will happen to me in the future, provides me with opportunities for learning and growth, and that no one else can be rightly blamed for any negativity, hurts, or abuses which my emotional nature experiences. I shall seek no exceptions to this belief, even when the apparent cause is not of my making."

#2 Chart Guru Doug

Chart Guru Doug

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:28 AM

just sent this to someone who is currently having
difficulty dealing with present life challenges, and
thought you may like this positive spin on
difficulty:

book title:
Better than Money Can Buy
author - Joseph Kilpatrick and Sanford Danziger, MD

these two authors are founders of the Human Service
Alliance in NC which was founded to provide free
in-residence hospice and free medical care for
terminally ill patients without financial
resources...and as a result of what the volunteer
nurses and docs learned from the patients, they
developed a program to teach the public at large that
we each have the power to choose to live and act as a
"totally responsible person" or as a victim person.

page 79 excerpt -

"They developed the following statement to serve as a
reminder of what it would take to maintain awareness
of victim mentality:

I completely and wholly accept that everything that
has ever happened to me, that is presently happening
to me, and that will happen to me in the future,
provides me with opportunities for learning and
growth, and that no one else can be rightly blamed for
any negativity, hurts, or abuses which my emotional
nature experiences. I shall seek no exceptions to
this belief, even when the apparent cause is not of my
making."

Thanks for post Hiker

I like the first part of the sentence but the part about not rightly blaming others for negativity sounds more like denial of feelings. Not a healthy thing imho...
I am not your registered investment advisor. This is not a recomendation to buy or sell. This is my opinion and that is all. I may be long or short any security and change my position at any given moment in time. Do your own due diligence before investing any of your own financial assets.

#3 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

I understand your point Doug. For example, when I experienced a substantial % loss on the RHEO long we talked about some time ago, I had a decision to make about my initial feelings that come from a loss event...it is not everyday I experience a 100% loss overnight or whatever it amounted to. I actually ended up enjoying the aspect that it had the unexpected result of publicly exposing the risk inherent in trading any stock, and you may remember when you asked me whether i took the loss or was waiting, I mentioned the risk of trading the biotech sector. Anyway, moving on an M.D. by the name of Gerald Jampolsky wrote a 99-page book about 20 years ago that also mentions what his learning experience from the patients he worked with in hospice care with the terminally ill...the bottom line of the book is our feeling response is shaped by what belief systems we adopt...he said the terminally ill learn to make the best of the dying process and what he learned from this is an important detail that shapes what belief systems we choose to adopt: a person either cares to take self out of their concern when relating to people and life and events...or a person chooses to always have in their being the concern about "how does this affect me?" The name of his book which can be read in about 30 minutes to hour is Teach Only Love. It went out of print some years ago last I checked. Gerald is a great author and has written many books..for some reason this one no longer has a big demand. ;)

Edited by hiker, 05 April 2006 - 01:51 PM.

#4 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

Good to see you back here hiker. Enjoy your posts :) G.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#5 Chart Guru Doug

Chart Guru Doug

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hiker My point is more like this I lost my pension, but I am a better/more ambitious person and have improved my wealth regardless of the thieves/murders that stole it. Still, they need to be blamed as they have hurt and killed so many people. Again, with the terrorists, we may become better at thwarting attacks, but there is still no denying the emotional pain they have caused. To deny those blame that deserve it will allow them to continue it. cheers
I am not your registered investment advisor. This is not a recomendation to buy or sell. This is my opinion and that is all. I may be long or short any security and change my position at any given moment in time. Do your own due diligence before investing any of your own financial assets.

#6 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

I hear you Doug and understand what you are saying...thanks for the examples. Last thought for the day that indirectly relates to the subject of choosing how much energy to attach to the blame response vs. other choices for that energy: There is no human problem on this planet that cannot be solved by intelligence and love.

#7 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

on an item related to the subject, a couple well-known guys, one an MD ...the other a psychiatrist, give a joint seminar in which the MD states that we each have 60,000 thoughts per day and 95% of those thoughts are the same thoughts as prior days. He points out that we have some choice-making power in how many of those thoughts attend to things that offend us. Deepak Chopra, MD and Wayne Dyer are the two guys