• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:15 PM

In honor of Easter... Gorgonzola Bunny (takes 1/2 hour to prep, and 2-2 1/2 hours to cook.) For 4 people: 2 large rabbits 2 Tbls Tarragon, divided 1 cup flour ample salt and pepper to taste 2 tsp olive oil 2 cloves garlic, peeled and whole 2 bay leaves 3-4 springs of thyme 2-3 onions (based upon taste and size/room) 2 large turnips 3/4 lb carrots (less or more to taste) 2 cups Chicken broth (enough to cover--best quality made with feet*) 1 cup of dry white wine. 1/3 lb Gorgonzola (Italian is better, if it's not really sharp, try Maytag instead) Fresh Tarragon for garnish or to add to sauce (optional) First, bone the rabbit. I separate the back legs and then simply cut the meat off each in as large pieces as possible. Then I cut the meat from the front legs, and slice the saddle off both sides. I then cut the loins off by running a sharp blade down either side of the back bone. This is tricky and a bit like filleting fish, pulling the meat out with your thumb and scraping along the spine and ribs with the knife. It's worth the effort however. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can cut the whole loin section apart from the ribs and worry about pulling the meat once it's cooked. If you REALLY don't want to bone the rabbit at all, you can have the butcher cut it into pieces, but your guests will have to eat the meat from the bone and some may be squeamish. Once boned, dredge the rabbit pieces in flour seasoned with 1/2 of the tarragon and ample salt and pepper. lightly brown in a non-stick pan and place in your dutch oven or covered pan. De-glaze pan with wine and pour in with the rabbit pieces. Peel and coarsely chop the carrot, onion, and turnips. Add to the pot with the rabbit. Add remaining tarragon, thyme, garlic, and bay leaves. Cover with best quality chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and then place in a 350' oven for 1 1/2 hours. Add about 1/3 of the Gorgonzola to the pot, in small pieces. Return the pot to the oven for another 10 minutes or so. Serve on plates or wide bowls. Arrange the rabbit and vegetables so that you can place small pieces of gorgonzola on each. Pour hot broth from the pot over the pieces of rabbit so that it melts the Gorgonzola into a glaze. Serve with a nice pinot noir and a salad of bitter greens. Note, if your broth/sauce isn't thick enough, feel free to make a little roux and add into the pot (but not too much!). Bring the sauce to a simmer (not a bad idea anyway, as it will help the Gorgonzola melt when you pour it over the rabbit.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Great recipe.
Just in time for the Easter bunny!
http://images.google...s/easter/07.gif
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 April 2006 - 09:06 PM.