• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

There are over 300 MILLION people in the USA.
There are just over 2 MILLION deaths a year in the 25 and older group.
Here's how we die:

(numbers and % are "overall" and clearly vary within the age range. I've lumped the whole 25 and up group together)

malignancies
540,000 or 27% of all deaths

Heart (cardiovascular)
730000 or 36%

Cerebrovascular ("stroke")
160,000 or 8%

Chronic Lung disease
104,000 or 5%

Accidents
74,000 or 4%

Diabetes
61,000 or 3%

HIV
31,000 or 1.6%

Suicide
20,000 or 1%

Liver disease
less than 1%

The other 300,000 or so deaths in this age group are spread out among a myriad other causes, most way less than 1% of the total.

There is a HUGE number of people living long and healthy lives and our increasing health and longevity is the primary reason for our increased population. Only 2 million deaths out of 300 MILLION people.

A few observations:
If I were a sane and rational person looking at this list I would:

Lower my cholesterol and blood pressure by any means. That would prevent nearly ONE HALF of all the above deaths.

Get my yearly check up to screen for treatable malignanices. That would give me an edge up on nearly ONE THIRD of all the deaths. (screening guidelines are widely available: cervix, breast, prostate, colon, lung, blood)

Avoid cigarettes.
Use a condom.
Drink less.
Be careful.

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:09 AM

Good to see you back posting again ;)
Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#3 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

Maineman, Thank you for posting these statistics. Small point, but the diabetes one may be significantly understated as I think you would a agree that it's a major contributor to heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure, infections (even pneumonia) and amputations ..... but in my humble experience people who die from these things, at least in hospitals (and probably in homes too) often do not have "diabetes" as the "cause" of death. I am only writing this because I believe diabetes is a much bigger problem than most people believe. Regards to you. C.C.

#4 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:08 AM

... the diabetes one may be significantly understated as I think you
would a agree that it's a major contributor to heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure,
infections (even pneumonia) and amputations ..... but in my humble experience
people who die from these things, at least in hospitals (and probably in homes too)
often do not have "diabetes" as the "cause" of death.

This seems true, but you can't overlook the statistical overlay. There is an equal chance that someone dying of cause X might be contributed to 'incorrect' cause Z, including diabetes. Or what if someone who is dying of cancer gets hit by a car and is recorded as death by 'accident'?

What were people categorized under when they died of AIDS 40 years ago?
Or cancer in the 1700's?

We're constantly learning, but in general, the statisitcs round out the errors.
It's the whole point of statistics :)

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

Yes, I see your point .... but I'm not fond of statistics that tend to give an inaccurate view. If only a small percentage of people "die" from diabetes .... then it makes it look like an insignificant problem. I really don't know how physicians choose the "cause of death" for an individual patient whose Kardex (summary of hospital info) states under diagnosis - Hypertension Diabetes ESRD (end stage renal disease) Congestive heart failure Pulmonary edema (this kind of multi-diagnosis is VERY common .... actually rare to see a Kardex with a single diagnosis .... except in younger people - tonsillitis, appendectomy etc etc ... the stuff people tend to survive ... even in hospitals :P .... you know how much I love hospitals ........ just kidding). So, this patient dies .... what did they die of? How does a doctor choose? And is there much meaning to a list of statistics regarding "cause of death." It's only my opinion, but I don't think even "rounding this out" here is of benefit. In fact, I believe it does some harm. Also ...... the point I've been trying to make for so long on this board is that "diabetes" affects many many many other conditions .... heart attacks, kidney failure, respiratory distress, infections, blindness, cellulitis, neuropathy. The probability of a car accident being recorded as cancer is low .... but the probability of diabetes being recorded as any one of several related problems is high. I think diabetes is much more often the cause of death .... much more often than what we're lead to believe. WHY am I harping on all this .... because it's FOOD FOOD FOOD that has a huge impact on whether or not we get diabetes. Best, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 12 June 2006 - 11:11 AM.

#6 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

CC, I have to agree with you on food quantity and quality. To large measure we can control our health by learning how to eat in a healthy manner. I see it in my daily blood sugar level when I indulge large meals and/or carbs :lol: and skip my daily excercise routine.

Edited by Chilidawgz, 12 June 2006 - 11:33 AM.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#7 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

If we eat "right" can we be disease free? How will we die? Assuming the death statistics by the CDC are wrong (and therefore have ALWAYS been wrong) and you can add a few more thousands of deaths "due" to diabetes... will you "prevent" those deaths? will you live forever? Cogito, ergo ligitimum sum?
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:11 PM

Dear Maineman, I'm not against death .... I'm against lengthy suffering. Yes, of course we all die ... but we are not meant to die from these horrific lingering afflictions, like amputated limbs that do not heal, chronic dialysis, blindness, debilitating strokes, depression, morbid obesity etc. We humans are not meant to suffer like we do. My grandmother keeled over in her garden at age 98. No hospitals, no nursing home, no pills, no procedures ..... little or no suffering other than some failing eyesight and a few aching joints. That's how it should be. I remember my first nursing job in a chronic care facility .... we had a woman who would be washed and dressed and wheeled out to sit in front of the nursing station. She was 1/2 paralyzed from a stroke (brought on by diabetes and obesity) and was also mentally affected. ALL DAY LONG SHE WOULD SAY "Do I just sit here? Do I just sit here?" She'd just keep repeating it, over and over again. That too, is physical and emotional pain. All I'm trying to do is prevent some needless suffering. That's all. Really. C.C. :(

Edited by calmcookie, 12 June 2006 - 03:17 PM.

#9 Guru Dudette

Guru Dudette

Prince of Dorkness

• Admin
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

All I'm trying to do is prevent some needless suffering. That's all. Really.

C.C. :(

Well, it's a good thing that you both have the same objectives, then. :flowers:
"I'd rather be vaguely right than precisely wrong." J.M.Keynes