• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,018 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Last night, we had a dinner that I based upon a couple of Bobby Flay recipes. I almost always alter recipies and this one is no different, but I have to say that the basic notes and pairing remain intact. Porterhouse and Hot Potato Salad For the steaks: 4 1.75" Porterhouse (if the loin part is large enough, you can easily split one porterhouse two ways) 2 tsp olive oil (optional) Rub: 2 Tbls fresh finely ground coffee (try espresso or Italian roast) 1 Tbl kosher salt 2 tsp thyme crushed 2 tsp garlic powder (or 10 cloves fresh, pressed garlic applied AFTER the rest of the rub). 2 tsp hot paprika 1/2 tsp ground chipotle 2 tsp ground pepper Mix the rub well in a bowl. Apply liberally to the steaks (top, bottom and sides) at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours before cooking. Remove the steaks from the 'fridge 90 minutes before cooking. You want the meat as close to room temp as possible without them sitting at that temperature for a long time. This is thick meat and it takes a while to warm up. Build a very hot fire to one side of the grill. I use "cowboy charcole" which burns very hot and fast and imparts a bit of smoke. Regular briquettes are OK. Add a bit of mesquite or other smoking chips if you have them. If you only have a gas grill, get it VERY hot and add the oil to both sides of the meat. Place the steaks bone side over the hottest part of the grill for 4 minutes or until flare-up (whichever comes first). Don't be afraid to let the fire scorch the meat for a 10 or 15 seconds. This seals the meat and lends good flavor. Rotate the strip side over the hottest part of the grill with the fillet side outside over a cooler part. Grill for another 2 minutes or so. Turn and repeat on the opposite side of the meat. After both sides of the steaks are seared and brown on both sides, feel for doneness the loin should yield easily indicating very rare and the strip should still be spongy. If the meat feels done, pull it now and let it rest. Otherwise, move the meat off the hottest part of the grill, leaving the bone side closest to the fire (the bone is dense and thus will warm more slowly than the meat). If you have more meat than room on the grill, this is a good time to add the second batch. Allow the meat to finish cooking (test by touch ever minute or so) and flip periodically. In a pinch, use a probe thermometer inserted next to the bone in the middle of the strip side. When this reads 110, pull the meat. When the meat is medium rare, pull and place on a warm platter and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile grill the potatoes for the grilled potato salad (below) Grilled Potato Salad Redskin potatoes (4-5 small or 2 large, per person). olive oil to cover salt, to taste 2 Tbl Sherry wine vinegar 1 large shallot, minced 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 1/2 cup olive oil 4 Tbls crumbled blue cheese2 bunches watercress, stems trimmed 3 green onions, chopped Salt and pepper to taste. (halved cherry tomatos, optional) Combine vinegar, shallot, and mustard in medium bowl season with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 16 minutes. Drain; cool completely. Slice potatoes into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick rounds, or if small, simply split. Toss in a bowl with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wash and dry watercress on towel or salad spinner. Grill potatoes on the grill after the steaks come off until marked, a bit crisp and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, though it may take a bit longer. Toss the watercress with half of the vinaigrette and 2 Tbls Blue cheese and half of the green onion. Arrange 1/4 of the greens on each plate. Sprinkle more blue atop and add the cherry tomatoes if you like. Mound warm potatoes on top of the salad and sprinkle the remaining green onions on top of that. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over it all. Place the steaks on each plate and pour any accumulated juices over. Serve with a substantial red wine, perhaps a high quality zin or a lush cab. Bon appetite! Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 OptionTrading

OptionTrading

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Mmmm Porterhouse steak.. my favorite. It really seems to be the most tender steak. Another thing to try is bake a sweet potato to serve with it, and put some butter and cinammon on the potato, nice!

#3 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

I love to trade but I love to cook ( and EAT !!) . It's summer and it's hot , so here are my 2 favorite pies for those hot, lazy,hazy days of summer . The first is an EMERIL LAGASSE recipe and it is his version of banana cream pie . Anything that tastes this good ,must be healthy , right ???? Here's the recipe : Emeril Lagasse Emeril's Banana Cream Pie From chef and author Emeril Lagasse Emeril's Banana Cream Pie Emeril's most requested pie recipe. Ingredients # 5 large egg yolks # 1/4 cup cornstarch # 3 to 3 1/2 cups heavy cream # 1 1/2 cups sugar # 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped # 3 cups graham cracker crumbs # 1/2 ripe banana, mashed # 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted # 3 pounds of bananas, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices # 3/4 cup caramel sauce # 1 cup chocolate sauce # 2 cups heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks with 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar # shaved chocolate # powdered sugar Caramel Drizzle Sauce # 1 cup granulated sugar # 1/4 cup water # 1 cup heavy cream Chocolate Sauce # 1/4 cup half-and-half # 1 tablespoon unsalted butter # 1/2 pound semisweet chocolate chips # 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Directions for the Pie In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, cornstarch and 1 cup of the heavy cream. Whisk to blend well. Set aside. Combine the remaining 2 cups cream, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, and the vanilla bean in a large heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat, Whisk to dissolve the sugar and bring to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Be forewarned: the mixture will break. Don't be alarmed! Pour it into a glass bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap down over the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool completely at room temperature. When cooled, remove the vanilla bean and pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a wire whip. Beat at medium-speed to combine the mixture. If it will not combine, warm another 1/2 cup heavy cream and slowly add it to the mixture. Whip until you have a thick and creamy custard. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, the remaining sugar and the mashed banana. Mix thoroughly. Add the butter and mix well. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake until browned, about 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool, for about 10 minutes. Directions for the Caramel Sauce 1. In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is a deep caramel color and has the consistency of a thin syrup, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream, return the saucepan to the high heat and boil the sauce until it regains the consistency of a thick syrup, about 2 minutes. Cool. 2. The sauce can be refrigerated until ready to use. Allow it to reach room temperature before drizzling it over the pie. Directions for the Chocolate Sauce 1. Combine the half-and-half and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Heat the mixture until a thin paperlike skin appears on the top. Do not boil. Add the chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. 2. Remove from the heat and let cool. 3. The sauce can be kept refrigerated for several days, but it must be returned to room temperature before serving. Assembling Directions 1. To assemble, spread about 1/2 cup of the custard on the bottom of the crust. Arrange about a third of the banana slices, crowding them close together over the custard. Next, spread 1 cup of the custard over the bananas. Arrange another third of the banana slices close together over the custard. Top with 1 cup custard and the remaining banana slices. Top with the remaining custard, covering the bananas completely to prevent them from turning brown. 2. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours. 3. To serve, cut pie into wedges and drizzle on the caramel sauce and chocolate sauce. Top with the whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Yields: One 9-inch pie, 8 to 10 servings My Second favorite recipe is Old fashioned Peach Cobbler . OK , it's not really a pie but what is summer without some warm peach cobbler topped with cold vanilla ice cream and a nice shade tree to sit under to enjoy it. Here's the recipe : 1 cup of flour 1 cup of sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup whole milk 1 stick of butter 2 cups peaches sweetened to taste ( blackberries and cherries also make great cobblers!!) Melt butter in baking pan. Combine flour ,sugar,baking powder and milk. Pour over butter. Next spoon hot fruit and juice over batter. DO NOT STIR. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cobbler with sugar during the last 10 minutes of baking . Bon Appetit !!

Edited by colours, 19 June 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#4 OptionTrading

OptionTrading

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

My mouth is watering... I never thought I'd get recipes at this forum!! Now to print it out for the wife to cook... ;)

#5 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

You know , i love it sweet and I love it HOT . So instead of doing the usual grilling this summer , here's my favorite recipe for Jamaican JERK pork. This is also great on chicken or fish . It's spicy and can be made fiercely hot by doubling the peppers . HERE's the recipe : 5 bunches scallions ,finely chopped 3 large cloves garlic 3 Scotch Bonnet peppers ( habenero) - any color- minced 2 large sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons dried 1/4 cup ground allspice 1 1/2 tablespoons salt 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce 1 cup water 6 to 8 pounds pork shoulder , boned and butterflied Combine all of the ingredients except water and pork in a large bowl. Mix well in a food processor or blender adding enough water to form a loose paste. Put 2 1/2 cups of the sauce in another large bowl and add the pork. (Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.) Spread the sauce all over the meat and marinate for at least 2 hours or as long as 24 hours, turning occasionally. Prepare an outdoor barbeque with lots of coals. Soak hardwood chips in water for 30 minutes before cooking. Apple wood gives the best flavor but hickory is not bad . NEVER use Mesquite as it conflicts with the flavor. When the coals are gray and ashen add the soaked wood. Place the meat on the grill and cover , leaving the vent holes slightly open. The pork should cook for about 2 and 1/2 hours . Check teh fire after 1 hour and add afew coals and wood as needed. Baste every 30 minutes with the marinade. Turn the meat several times as it cooks. the meat is cooked when it is firm to the touch and slightly charred. Remove the meat from the fire and let it sit on a cutting board for 15 minutes with foil loosly placed on top. Using a cleaver , chop the meat into bite size pieces. Serve on a large platter ,doused with the some of the reserved jerk sauce. This should be served with RED STRIPE beer and Bob Marley playing in the background . Other sides that are great with this are a sweet potato casserole and /or Cuban black beans and rice . Both recipes are on page 2 of this thread .

Edited by colours, 19 June 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,018 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

This looks very good.

I have a variation that I use for double thick pork chops on the grill (with sugar snap peas and sweet potato oven fries). Basically I take the below recipe and add in a bit of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, and the juice of 1/2-1 lime, and a dash or two of dry mustard (I don't have pickapeppa, but I bet it's good). I also back off the water a bit. It might be worth a try to see if that improves or detracts from the basic recipe. Also, for the faint of heart: it's OK to back off the habenero's a little bit, but the jerk should be very hot no matter what. Grilling mellows it a bit.

I've found that Infinitus Temperanillo/Cab blend goes GREAT with this and probably is pretty good with your pork shoulder, too. The price is incredibly cheap, too for such a good pairing.

Good recipe, thanks!

Mark

You know , i love it sweet and I love it HOT . So instead of doing the usual grilling this summer , here's my favorite recipe for Jamaican JERK pork. This is also great on chicken or fish . It's spicy and can be made fiercely hot by doubling the peppers . HERE's the recipe :

5 bunches scallions ,finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic
3 Scotch Bonnet peppers ( habenero) - any color- minced
2 large sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons dried
1/4 cup ground allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce

1 cup water

6 to 8 pounds pork shoulder , boned and butterflied

Combine all of the ingredients except water and pork in a large bowl. Mix well in a food processor or blender adding enough water to form a loose paste.

Put 2 1/2 cups of the sauce in another large bowl and add the pork. (Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.)

Spread the sauce all over the meat and marinate for at least 2 hours or as long as 24 hours, turning occasionally.

Prepare an outdoor barbeque with lots of coals. Soak hardwood chips in water for 30 minutes before cooking.
Apple wood gives the best flavor but hickory is not bad . NEVER use Mesquite as it conflicts with the flavor.
When the coals are gray and ashen add the soaked wood.

Place the meat on the grill and cover , leaving the vent holes slightly open. The pork should cook for about 2 and 1/2 hours . Check teh fire after 1 hour and add afew coals and wood as needed. Baste every 30 minutes with the marinade. Turn the meat several times as it cooks. the meat is cooked when it is firm to the touch and slightly charred.

Remove the meat from the fire and let it sit on a cutting board for 15 minutes with foil loosly placed on top.
Using a cleaver , chop the meat into bite size pieces. Serve on a large platter ,doused with the some of the reserved jerk sauce.

This should be served with RED STRIPE beer and Bob Marley playing in the background . Other sides that are great with this are a sweet potato casserole and /or Cuban black beans and rice . Both recipes are on page 2 of this thread .

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#7 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

Pickapeppa sauce is usually hidden in the section with steak sauces and such . It's great in the jerk sauce but I also serve it over Triscuit crackers and cream cheese ( with a cold beer) while the jerk pork is slowly cooking. It's so good and worth the effort to find .