When medical science and social science don't meet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

So medical science has made it possible for 80 year olds to have 50 year old bodies.. But I know of no drug that's preventing the deterioration of mental facilities. This is not a knock on older people, but it is an issue that has never been faced before in the history of man (btw this is not the first time this has happened at this magnitude, and I fear it will only grow worse): NEW LONDON, Connecticut (AP) -- An 89-year-old man driving through a crowd at a summer festival panicked after striking one pedestrian and lurched his station wagon through the throng, injuring 27 people, city officials and witnesses said. Ned Lamont, who is challenging three-term incumbent Sen. Joe Lieberman in the August 8 Democratic primary, and several campaign workers were among those in the crowd. Lamont, who was campaigning at festival, was not injured, but three of the staffers were treated for various injuries, spokeswoman Liz Dupont-Diehl said. The accident happened about 3:30 p.m. near the Amtrak station during New London's Sailfest summer festival, where a crowd had gathered on both sides of warning gates as a train passed, witnesses said. Once the train departed and the gates lifted, the pedestrians and the Chevrolet Caprice wagon both began to cross. Mayor Elizabeth Sabilia said the driver, Robert Laine, was driving across the tracks to get to the Fishers Island ferry when his car struck a pedestrian. "He panicked," she said. The car then lurched through the crowd, which witnesses said was about four- or five-people deep. "People were facing the tracks and didn't see the car coming," witness Bill Hoezel told The Day of New London. "The car was moving probably 10 to 15 miles per hour, much quicker than someone trying to edge through a crowd. There was no warning and no screaming, just thump-thump-thump as the bodies were hit." The injured were taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital and all were expected to be treated and released by late Saturday night, hospital spokesman Kelly Anthony said. Laine, of Wallingford, and a female passenger were not injured. Terrie Castagna, 43, a former paramedic, helped with first aid until emergency crews arrived. She said Laine told her the gas pedal in his car was stuck. "He was shaken. He was in shock," she said. Police said it was premature to point to a cause and were still interviewing witnesses and many of those struck. Investigators will also look at any video that may have been captured by surveillance cameras used by Amtrak and the Fishers Island ferry. "It was a very chaotic scene," police Capt. Kenneth Edwards said. "There were luckily a large number of emergency personnel in the area." The waterfront city's Sailfest festival attracts thousands of visitors.

Edited by dcengr, 09 July 2006 - 04:17 PM.

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#2 slatedrake

slatedrake

• Traders-Talk User
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

Tons of research in regard to slowing/reversing/longevity of mental facilities.

Do a search for Bruce Ames, Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR)

Link to PubMed -- the best free resource for this purpose, that I am aware of:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....trez/query.fcgi

Related study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Also:

Look at:

Deprenyl (it's a selective MAO-B inhibitor that looks to have enormous potential at very low (5mg/day) levels when used continuously (over several years).

The following forum has some worthwhile info as well, you may have to dig through a lot of fluff to find it though.

http://www.imminst.org/forum/

I used to be more on top of this particular subject...but I've been busy with other things recently. I looked at some old files I had put together at one time - here's a list I created as an all-around mental improvement stack...

Nootropic Stack

Alcar - 2-4g/day
Helps with all brain functions, alertness

Deprenyl - 5mg/day or 10mg/week (in the AM)
MAO-B Inhibitor - mood elevator (up to 20mg/day)

Choline - 1000mg/day (AM)
DMAE - 200mg/day (AM)
(5g of Lecithin and 200mg of DMAE)
Required components of brain flow, raw materials.

Vinpocentine - (30mg/day to start than 20mg/day - taken in multiple doses during the day)
Memory enhancer

Hydergine 4.5mg/day ( vary the dose - am, afternoon, pm, etc..)
Mood elevator/synergistic with Piracetam

Vasopressin - 40 IU/day, administered as a nasal spray (two sprays at bedtime)
(not every day, only after having too much fun)
Use to conteract and refill the brains supply

DLPA
DL-Phenylalanine
500mg - 1.5g per day
DPA inhibits the action of an enzyme that breaks down endorphins and enkephalins - proteins that bind to opiate receptor sites in the brain, thereby influencing the perception of discomfort. By obstructing the action of this enzyme, DPA may extend the life of endorphins and enkephalins, and their positive influence on comfort levels.
(750 milligrams three times a day, given 15 to 30 minutes before each meal. )
Before you start trading get your brain around risk control. Know how much leverage you're using and know when to go to cash if you're wrong.