Photo

Vitamin tablets??? More harm than good???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Vitamin supplements do not work and may do more harm than good, experts have warned. :huh:
This week's New Scientist reports.

'Evidence gathered over the last few years shows that, at best, antioxidant supplements do little or nothing to benefit our health.

'True, they knock the wind out of free-radicals in a test tube. But once inside the human body, they seem strangely powerless.

'Many scientists are concluding they are a waste of time and money. At worst they could be harmful.'

Biochemist Barry Halliwell, an expert in anti-oxidants at the National University of Singapore, said supplements simply cannot mimic the effects of a healthy diet. 'Stick to flavonoid-rich foods, red wine in moderation, tea, fruits and vegetables,' he said.

'Don't start taking high-dose supplements or heavily-fortified foods until we know more.'

The industry-backed Health Supplements Information Service accused New Scientist of being selective in the research it had chosen to illustrate its point.

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

And they sort of ignore recent studies that show heavy does of vitamin D to have very marked and clear health effects. There are a lot of docs who take quite a few vitamins as prophalxis(es?), too. I'm certain that many suppliments are a total waste and that other are a waste MOST but NOT ALL of the time. It's worth studying, to be sure. But I'd not poo-poo suppliments en toto from what I've read. Also, there is a good point. Suppliments are no substitute for a balanced and healthy diet. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:43 PM

It seems that balance is hard to beat. Eat, drink and be merry is my perscription.