• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:08 AM

Man, I was "diagnosed" as being "mildly dyslexic" 30-some years ago. My cousin (Iraq 1 vet), now dead, was "diagnosed" as being "severely dyslexic". One wonders how they would have dealt with such 10 years ago, vs. today. Back then it was intensive tutoring for me. My cousin got that but he still had a hell of a time. Was stopped dead on his career because he couldn't learn Farsi. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#32 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Man, I was "diagnosed" as being "mildly dyslexic" 30-some years ago. My cousin (Iraq 1 vet), now dead, was "diagnosed" as being "severely dyslexic".

One wonders how they would have dealt with such 10 years ago, vs. today.

Back then it was intensive tutoring for me. My cousin got that but he still had a hell of a time. Was stopped dead on his career because he couldn't learn Farsi.

Mark

Mark,

It is not at all unusual to dyslexic and at the same time quite gifted. Winston Churchill, Walt Disney and even John Chambers of cisco were all dually affected. Another interesting aspect is that we tend to be late bloomers. I was an average student who learned as an adult that I have a gifted IQ.

Sadly there are many kids falling through the cracks today. Some of the flaky experimental educational initiatives like whole language and everyday math don't help. You were lucky to most likely be drilled with the basics such as sounding out words and learning your math facts.

We are not much further along than we were 50 years ago. The things I did were very much out of the mainstream but they worked.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#33 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

I'm just thinking that they'd have just diagnosed me as ADD and drugged me up a few years ago. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#34 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

I'm just thinking that they'd have just diagnosed me as ADD and drugged me up a few years ago.

Mark

Yes, my husband too.

I really don't have a problem with using meds but I think other processing issues need to ruled out and treated and meds used as the last weapon. Most just go right for the pills even in some very young children.

I know a high school boy who finds them very helpful and his self esteem has improved by getting a handle on his add.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#35 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

Sadly, ADD and ADHD became "fad" diagnoses, starting around 20 years ago. Problems like ADD/ADHD invite all kinds of odd balls stepping in with their 2 cents, because we do not have the necessary tools for precise and accurate diagnoses. The other problem has been the ongoing breakdown in our public school system and at home within the "family unit". Kids need love, attention, care, compassion and a whole lotta love and time. Several decades ago when we went to 2 income homes and more and more kids were put in day care or became "latch key", there were too few hours spent playing, reading, holding, etc. The result is now 2 generations of wound up kids dumped on an increasingly burdened school system and the "easy way out" is to get underqualified school testers to write these poor kids off as "ADD" or whatever. This is probably one of the most mis-diagnosed conditions around. When you can diagnose it correctly there are great drugs for the few who really need it. The newest fad we're inundated with is adult patients coming in asking us for meds for thier "ADULT ADD"...oy Last, but not least, there's the Health-food new age crowd crowing about how vaccinations "MUST BE" causing ADD and we have whole gangs of kids going without simple, life-saving vaccination. Not easy being a doctor.... mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#36 Kimston

Kimston

• Traders-Talk User
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:57 PM

MDs are great for acute conditions and needed surgeries. However, some of us wackos are getting sick and tired (literally) from all the extremely toxic meds MDs push for everything, contributing to the high rate of iatragenic conditions like kidney/liver failure and death. Frankly, it wouldn't be surprising to me if Tom's condition was iatragenically caused. If you want to get or stay healthy, stay out of hospitals with all the nosocomial infections (MDR bacteria) that are all too commonplace - due in part to over-prescribing of antibiotics for years. For Tom's sake, I hope you can help him. However, if I were Tom I would seek out a good naturopath, or at least an open minded MD that doesn't have the "allopathic is the only way" mentality.

Here are some fun stats -
Fatalities from Medical Errors (iatragenic and nosocomial) 8th leading cause of death.

Panel chair William Richardson, Ph.D., noted that anywhere from 44,000 to 98,000 hospitalized patients die each year as a result of medical errors. The annual death rates from medical errors top those from breast cancer, AIDS and traffic accidents. In one study by Dr. Leape and his colleagues, 44% of preventable errors were attributed to technical problems, followed by diagnostic errors (17%), failure to prevent injury (12%) and drug use errors (10%). Report on Medical Errors Highlights Ailing System

>FACTS TO PONDER:
>Doctors
>
>(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000
>(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year
>are 120,000
>
>© Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
>
>Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human
>Services.
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
>
>Guns:
>
>(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is
>80,000,000.
>(Yes, that's 80 million..)
>(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all
>age groups, is 1,500.
>
>© The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is
>.000188
>
>Statistics courtesy of the FBI
>
>
>Therefore, statistically, doctors are approximately
>9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
>
>
>Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."
>
>
>FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,
>
>BUT
>
>ALMOST EVERY ONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
>
>
>Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We
>must ban doctors before this gets completely out of
>hand!!!!!

Sorry to hear you are so sick. Also sorry to hear how hard your work up has been. I am a doctor, but I routinely get razzed and ridiculed on this board by a bevy of herbal-diet-self help wackos, so I'll just offer that you email me privately.

Any patient as sick as you describe requires an immediate and thorough evaluation. Sprue is quite easy to diagnose now, but I would NOT treat anything until you have a diagnosis. We are talking about life and death here so PLEASE just don't self medicate with fish guts and chinese sounding herbs or any other cock and bullsh...You could be dying.

I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone and let you know who the right person to go to is.

maineman

#37 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:44 AM

>

Bogus comparison

How many sick people are cured by gun owner's who are not doctors?)
How do doctors force their patients into hospitals? (do they use a gun?)
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#38 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:39 AM

Oh man, this is some truly funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh, especially after the busy day I've had "killing people".....

"However, if I were Tom I would seek out a good naturopath, or at least an open minded MD that doesn't have the "allopathic is the only way" mentality."

Great idea... but first take a minute to read these:

http://www.quackwatc...;rankby=DEFAULT

THanks again. I don'town a gun, which is a good think, because there are quite a few people who walk into my office for whom a bit of cold lead would be the only logical response.,,,,,,
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#39 Kimston

Kimston

• Traders-Talk User
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

Glad you got a chuckle. The fun with gun owner statistics was intended to be funny. I know there are plenty of quacks, charlatans, and incompetent yet arrogant buffoons out there.... referring here to both MDs and alternative practitioners. That's why I said to find a good one; which is easier said than done. A narrow mind is an excellent thing to waste.

Oh man, this is some truly funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh, especially after the busy day I've had "killing people".....

"However, if I were Tom I would seek out a good naturopath, or at least an open minded MD that doesn't have the "allopathic is the only way" mentality."

Great idea... but first take a minute to read these:

http://www.quackwatc...;rankby=DEFAULT

THanks again. I don'town a gun, which is a good think, because there are quite a few people who walk into my office for whom a bit of cold lead would be the only logical response.,,,,,,

#40 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

>

Bogus comparison

How many sick people are cured by gun owner's who are not doctors?)
How do doctors force their patients into hospitals? (do they use a gun?)

Well, statistics show that guns also PREVENT deaths and injuries at a pretty good rate and deter same in an unmeasurable manner. ;)

Of course, if you never pick up a gun, you can still be killed by one and if you never go to a doctor, you can still die from a potentially lethal condition.

:lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here: