• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Just back from work to see Nazzie close ... I exited the double short when it (Nas) was about 6 points up (at least I didn't panic at the 13 points up phase ... almost). Thought I'd be kicking myself when I saw a down close, but 3 points is decent. Also, have to go to the border soon (renew TN visa every year - since I'm Canadian) ... usually drive to Loredo, but was thinking of flying to Harlingen, Tx and crossing at Progresso Nuevo (think that's the right name). Anyone familiar with this area? Is there anything worth doing or seeing there? Cheers, C.C. :)

#2 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

CC, What's good about Canadian healthcare system?
vitaminm

#3 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

oh, zut alors...qui, tres bon!

http://www.spisland.com/mexico.htm

elf, est tu?

I just made a total elf of myself -

http://www.elfyourse...5dc618G06121514

Edited by hiker, 16 December 2006 - 12:29 AM.

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

CC,

What's good about Canadian healthcare system?

Hi Vitaminm,

I don't think there's anything particularly "good" about Canadian healthcare (if you mean hospitals). My focus is on health education strategies, and PREVENTING the need for most "HEALTH" care. You're probably aware that the worlds healthiest and most long lived people also live FURTHEST away from any medical care (not in Canada, not in the U.S. or England etc). Sounds absurd, doesn't it .... but it's true.

We are NOT meant to grow old and rely on so many pharmaceuticals and the need for surgery and other high tech interventions. People CAN be healthy into old age and die a natural death without modern health "care." Okay, sometimes we need some tender loving nurturance .... but for me, a hospital is the LAST place I'd want to receive this attention.

Kind thoughts, C.C. :P (Remember, the U.S. spends more on health "care" than any other country but it is WAAAAAAAYYY down the list of places with the greatest longevity)

And Hiker .... thanks for links ... am just about to look. :P

Edited by calmcookie, 16 December 2006 - 09:14 AM.

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hi Hiker ... fun link, but not sure about giving them a friends email ... so I used my own (that I can delete). AND I elfed myself too: error - will repost

Edited by calmcookie, 16 December 2006 - 09:47 AM.

#6 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:49 AM

You may find this link invaluable (I do) : http://www.cityratin...estatistics.asp

This website gives you the crime statistics , weather , school rankings , occupational outlook , as well as city guides for most large and small American cities . It beats being at the wrong place at the wrong time . Sure hope it helps ! ( Harlingen and Laredo Texas are listed )

#7 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

You may find this link invaluable (I do) : http://www.cityratin...estatistics.asp

This website gives you the crime statistics , weather , school rankings , occupational outlook , as well as city guides for most large and small American cities . It beats being at the wrong place at the wrong time . Sure hope it helps ! ( Harlingen and Laredo Texas are listed )

Colors .... thanks for reminders ... agree that Texas / Mexico border towns are not the safest places to be ... especially Laredo (I usually just cross the bridge and turn right back again ... silly requirement to renew visa).

Best, C.C. (if there's no more poetry after Christmas, you'll know what happened to me :(

Edited by calmcookie, 16 December 2006 - 12:49 PM.

#8 hpm123

hpm123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Laredo (Texas side) Nuevo Laredo (Mexican side).. Major major drug turf battle going on right now in Nuevo Laredo. It is quite the lawless place right now. No police captiain as the last guy that stepped up to the plate, was assisinated by the drug kingpin. This is all very recent stuff, so do be careful if you must visit Nuevo Laredo -

#9 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hi HPM, Thanks for the information. Yes, I've also heard recent reports of how bad things are in Laredo ... but as I said, will just cross the bridge and come right back ... not planning on strolling round town. I often buy a bottle of Jack Daniels (for a friend - I'm not a drinker) ... but don't think I'll do that this year. Southwest airlines has a one hour flight to Harlingen, so that's more appealing than the 7 hour round trip drive to Laredo. Decide next week. Will write my farewell poem here, before I go. :) :headspin: C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 16 December 2006 - 08:55 PM.

#10 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:44 AM

CC, I just got back from Harlingen myself on Friday evening. Im in educational sales w/South Tx territory and am in the border area from Del Rio, Laredo, and Valley areas around Harlingen every other week. People are nicer and more laid back in these areas than any other part of the state. Also, if you haven't been to Harlingen area in last 5 yrs, you'll be suprised at how much has been built up. I feel valley area is safer than Laredo or Del Rio crossing. TX Border towns are perfectly safe regardless of what you hear on TV but I can't say the same about the Mexican border towns. I would only go across if I had someone with me and I'm half hispanic and know enough Spanish to get by. If alone, you will be a target by anyone including cops. As far as seeing anything interesting, there is an Iwo Jima memorial and small museum/giftshop off NE loop 499 in Harlingen. Usually some old WW2 vets hanging around w/some cool stories. Totally agree w/your perspective on healthcare/pharma system. People don't realize how connected all forms of media (textbook publishers, most periodicals, major newspapers, movie studios, and cable networks) , healthcare orgs, pharma, and even defense cos are. You have CEOs of healthcare orgs who sit on boards of pharma cos, and board members of defense contactors who sit on boards of pharma cos, or media cos and vice versa. Absolutely shocking but realizing this helps one see how we are duped You have to seek truth b/c it won't come to you. Also, with all the M & A lately in these areas, its becoming that much easier to brainwash the public. Hope your book changes some lives.