Geek Help for Hands

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

It looks like this, make sure it keeps your wrist straight.

And if it doesn't work, you can always use the brace to improve your bowling game! :)

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#12 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

YOU BIG...SISSY!

You don't need no stinking keyboard.

Stephen Hawking Quote:
"I use an on-screen software keyboard, called E Z KEYS. I access this keyboard via a single button switch that I hold in my hand."

Posted Image

Type less. Chop more firewood.

#13 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

It looks like this, make sure it keeps your wrist straight.

And if it doesn't work, you can always use the brace to improve your bowling game! :)

Fib

Not just bowling wear it all the time even at night for a few weeks. This is best if treated early in the onset of symptoms, I really don't want to see Mark get worse and then not be able to use his keyboard leaving us all unsupervised. What we do? It would be bedlam.
This article was interesting.

http://www.aafp.org/...030715/265.html
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#14 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

Mark,
You need a brace that stabilizes your wrist and keeps it at the neutral position. It is the bending of the wrist repetitively that causes carpal tunnel also common in any profession with repetitive motion involving the wrist like hairdressers and those guys who spin the pizzas. (I hope you are not spinning pizzas in your spare time.)
An occupational therapist trained in ergonomics can help you. Also, DC is correct sitting position is important.
At one of my old jobs I was in charge of health and safety and osha instituted an ergonomic's law because of the prevalence of on the job carpal tunnel.

No problem with carpal. I was very conscious of that. It's just the pounding my finger joints. The split ergo keyboard is fine and works well, save for the vibration now in the keys (maybe due to age and millions of letters typed). I also have my elbows supportd and my knees actually higher than my hips, which is great for my back. I could probably work on the mouse situation too, but but basically, I need to work on shock absorption...I'll be trying to loosen my grip on the retrieve, too, Hiker. ;)

And greenie, I deserved that! :lol: And I don't mind! It's worth it! :lol:

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#15 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Mark is the voice recognition software an option?

#16 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

Anybody else pound the keys and have sore fingers?

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#17 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

Mark,

I work for an organization that has a lot of IT and a large number of programmers. Some of our most intensive keyboard people are using a keyboard from these folks: Its the one where the two hands are separated and the keys dip down in the middle like a bowel. They call the one I'm look at here at work: The Essential™ Contoured Keyboard

From what I can tell, they do very little wrist movement because it trys to put all keys in reach where they can be triggered with a minumum amount of effort.

Edited by Sentient Being, 20 December 2006 - 08:35 PM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#18 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

Mark is the voice recognition software an option?

Too slow to be a great one, but at some point it'll be the preferred option. Seen the new iMac? :o

I type pretty darned fast. Honestly, I could probably make the problem go away with just slowing down my typing, but that defeats the purpose. ;)

I'm not in trouble here. I'm just trying to make sure I STAY out of trouble. I mean, I'm not even at the point of popping Ibuprophen.

Mark

I use something similar to their Maxim (Gold Touch) and like it, save for the vibration and long key play. This is the type of referral I can work with. I'll explore more. "Reaching down" is supposed to be very good. May help with the pounding?

M

Mark,

I work for an organization that has a lot of IT and a large number of programmers. Some of our most intensive keyboard people are using a keyboard from these folks: Its the one where the two hands are separated and the keys dip down in the middle like a bowel. They call the one I'm look at here at work: The Essential™ Contoured Keyboard

From what I can tell, they do very little wrist movement because it trys to put all keys in reach where they can be triggered with a minumum amount of effort.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#19 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

Mark,

Oh Lord, I spelled bowel instead of bowl.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#20 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

Voice recognition is a great idea. But one thing to consider... the symptoms of flexor tendonitis and carpal tunnel are somewhat similar. Tendonitis improves with change of position, wrist splints, ergonomics, etc. whereas carpal tunnel can cause some permanent damage if you let it go too long. See a neurologist in town who can do NCVs (nerve conduction studies)... its a simple test. IF it turns out your CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) is advanced you should consider corrective action before its too late. Getting the test is simple, easy and gives you key information. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice