Great (and surprising to me) Stuff from Swenlin re: NYSE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

He points out that the NYSE lists approximately 3,500 issues and all used to be part of the index but only 2,050 or so issues were common stocks. In January 2003 this was changed. The composition of the index was changed to include ONLY common stocks listed on the index. However, breadth and volume data pursuant to those 2,050 issues were not published. And the statistical data has continued to be published based on 3,500 issues in spite of the index reflecting the actions of only 2,050 common stock issues. Thus, data is skewed by many non-common, interest-sensitive issues being included in the breadth and volume data but not being included in the index itself. I won't post the article out of respect for Carl (access for subcribers) but the link is below in case non-subscribers can access the article. Anyway the whole point is this.....Carl will now be publishing indicators that are based on the NYSE common only issues that affect the index values that we see. He has done the work and that sounds like good stuff to me.

http://www.decisionp...070105_CSO.html

#2 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

lol....wheres carl been .....the fact is there has been 2 nyse ad lines for years....if you check barrons you will find common stocks breadth figures posted every week.....along with total issues breadth figures......ive bee plotting both those ad lines for a very long time.......and guess what........percentage wise they go up n down the same way.......

#3 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:49 AM

Well let's see....Carl says there are some differences and I believe him. He also says that he will have some data that we won't see eslewhere and I believe him. I had the pleasure of corresponding with him a couple of years back due to some log-in problems I was having. He went out of his way to help me and he did it on a weekend at that. And, unlike some who run subscription sites, he never once spoke to me (nor has he to anyone else that I am aware of) in an arrogant or condescending manner. In fact it was just the opposite. In spite of his knowledge and his success I have never seen him go on a public site and tell everyone how wonderful he was. So let's just say I have a ton of respect for Carl Swenlin.

#4 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

...... So let's just say I have a ton of respect for Carl Swenlin.

And so do I and a lot of other people. A great individual who has given much to the "little & big" trader.
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#5 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

I have been following Carl since the beninning in the AOL days. I have had a few exchanges with him over the years and must say he has always been most helpfu, responsive and gracious. "The example" for other web sites to aspire to. A 10.0 on the 10 scale. TM