There's something wrong with interest rate sensitive issues

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

The deficit has grown slower in 2005 and 2006.

Better said would be that the deficit has been getting smaller over the last two years.

Want to venture a guess as to the single most important reason why this is so?

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#12 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

A worldwide trend out of US denominated assets into, primarily, EURO currency. Sell Treasuries and buy EUROs. Has a dramatic effect on UST and associative charts.

U.F.O.

Edited by U.F.O., 12 January 2007 - 09:01 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~Benjamin Franklin~

#13 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

The deficit has grown slower in 2005 and 2006.

Better said would be that the deficit has been getting smaller over the last two years.

Want to venture a guess as to the single most important reason why this is so?

Fib

The deficit is still growing as far as I know, it is just year over year increase that's decreasing, meaning increased tax receipts are offseting the gov't spending? However, if a slowdown happens and they don't cut down the spending, and logically they should not, then it will grow faster again. The chart I posted is about the yoy difference, not the absolute amount, the absolute amount is still growing, isn't it?

#14 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

Oil falling from mid 70's to mid 50's is the reason. Single biggest component of the trade deficit. U.F.O.

Edited by U.F.O., 12 January 2007 - 09:19 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~Benjamin Franklin~

#15 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

The gov't is not buying the oil, it is the private companies, the budget deficit has been improving for 2 yrs. OTOH, during this growth cycle, the real rates have been behind the inflation, I don't know the reason, but the Fed kept telling everyone so. Anyway, the treasuries are selling because the dollar weakened... But there isn't a whole lot reason to sell significantly more since the economic slowdown will destroy the credit and stabilize the USD all by itself, me thinks. It is obvious if you look at the RUT/SPX ratio, it has been doing pretty poorly for the kind of rally the indices had since the last summer...

#16 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Are we talking budget deficit or trade deficit? U.F.O.
~Benjamin Franklin~

#17 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:27 PM

The deficit is still growing as far as I know, it is just year over year increase that's decreasing, meaning increased tax receipts are offsetting the gov't spending? However, if a slowdown happens and they don't cut down the spending, and logically they should not, then it will grow faster again. The chart I posted is about the yoy difference, not the absolute amount, the absolute amount is still growing, isn't it?

Correct, it's been the tax cuts of the last 4 years as they continue to "trickle down" through the system. And, yes, unless spending is curtailed, a slowdown in the economy would again increase the year over year figures, but this doesn't necessarily mean it would be have a direct impact on the equity markets as this is just a portion of a much larger picture of "global" influence.

Going back to the topic of this thread, the chart below shows the interest rate sensitive A/D lines as of Friday's close. If anything else, this information continues to suggest that any pullbacks in which might be going on right now should be used as buying opportunities.

The rest of the this week's cumulative data can be found over at Technical Watch.

Fib

Posted Image

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#18 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

there is the chance UTIL has topped...unless 5 is 3...taking out the bottom TL would clinch it.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$UTIL&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&i=p19088943522&a=88068608&r=2788.png