"Watch Out!!!"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HiFiGuy

HiFiGuy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

Why do people insist on driving in conditions like this?
SUV's collide on Icy Roads in Portland
"A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny." - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
http://www.trueworldhistory.info/

#2 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

one time in the early '80's...took me 8 hours to drive 30 miles in Seattle icy freeways...looked like a demolition derby.

#3 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I live in california.. and it was so cold this morning. I normally wash the ice off my windshield with a cup of water and its fine. But this morning, I washed it off, and within 30 seconds, that water froze right on my windshield. Drove down the street using my windshield wipers to try to knock it off... with washer fluid going.. nothing, it just kept freezing. Thats pretty cold for california. The horror.. :lol:
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#4 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

funny....it is rarely above 20 below zero in the a.m. here in recent weeks.

#5 HiFiGuy

HiFiGuy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

one time in the early '80's...took me 8 hours to drive 30 miles in Seattle icy freeways...looked like a demolition derby.

Hiker,
I live in north Seattle and work across Lake Washington in Bellevue (10 miles). Twice this year my commute back home has been over 3 hours long. Seattle just doesn't have the snow or ice removal equipment so when winter weather strikes, its best to stay home. In last month's snow/ice storm, some co-workers of my wife left from work at 4:30 and didn't get home until 2 am - just 10 miles away (Kirkland-Woodinville).

But that video is just incredible - I just had to share..
"A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny." - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
http://www.trueworldhistory.info/

#6 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

HiFi...I will never forget a red Camaro hitting the concrete wall at 65 mph after hitting a icy spot on the downhill run from Snoqualmie Pass

#7 hpm123

hpm123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

just watched that very same video on the NBC evening news. I always gas it too once I've bounced off a stationary object...too funny -

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

If I have any phobias, it's black ice.

This morning, with several inches of ice still on our local roads, I had to drive my wife 15 miles to downtown, at rush hour.
I found out what clowns do between carnivals.
A guy tried to pass me on an icy shoulder and he bit the wall, red nose and all, right in front of me. LOL! :D

This ice is the thickest I've EVER SEEN here. The roads in many places are just grooves you drive in like slot car tracks. Heaven help you if you try to change lanes.
In residential areas, there still are no visible roads or even grooves to drive in...after 5 days of this!

For fun, I'm watching the Tulsa Traffic Accident website which is connected to 911.
There have a dozen reported accidents at any one time, 1/2 injury (red circle), 1/2 hit&run (black circle).

Tulsa Photos

Edited by Rogerdodger, 16 January 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Roger, Strangers with Candy marathon time! I hope you had some liquor stashed. I like to keep the cellar full between Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving. ;) Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

She does make the ice look good. ;)
Posted Image