Why buy VISTA?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

CNBC just interviewed a writer for WSJ, Mossberg is his name I believe. He has a review article just published saying that most people shouldn't try to upgrade to VISTA unless they just buy a new system. He feels Vista requires too much of a hardware upgrade, esp memory. He says that most "new" features are already in Mac, and Apple is coming out with a new one this spring. It sure made this old MS user reconsider the Mac. I think Apple may be the wave of the future...even more so than recently. And MSS is way ahead of me. :(

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 January 2007 - 01:11 PM.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

I am having the same thoughts....look into Mac next time I need a new computer. Every Windows upgrade has burdened the hardware more and resulting in slower and unnecessarily complex problems. My understanding is that Mac's have never been subject to viruses. So there must be something fundamentally good in their architecture. The main question I would have is compatibility with software I need.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

Boy if I had said that..... Once you go Mac you never go back.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#4 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Its not that macs aren't better... its that for the same amount of $, you get more hardware with the PC. And considering how fast PCs become obsolete, you do not want to pay premium for what will become junk in a few years.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#5 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

I just bought my first MAC in December. Sweet. Everything about is clean and sleek and just plain cool. lol
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Everything about is clean and sleek and just plain cool

I think that says it all.

The Apple vs Microsoft commercials have been VERY effective in reinforcing Apple's coolness.
Apple vs Microsoft has become like Nike vs Rebok.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 January 2007 - 02:19 PM.

#7 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

So there must be something fundamentally good in their architecture.
The main question I would have is compatibility with software I need.

:D
I am on my 4th Mac, a G-4 and have had it almost 5 years now. Have had NO problems because it was a Mac, lightning got it once, new mother board, but no crashes etc. I will go for the new one this fall. There is nothing that I know of that wont run on a Mac that you need for trading. Some of the small outdated platforms might not run anymore but your new ones will to my knowledge. A lot of the stuff you need on the PC you dont need on a Mac to get the same end result. Microsoft office for the Mac is better than the one for the PC.
I'm a simple guy and the Mac is simple to run. B)
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#8 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

4th mac, you are soooo ahead of your time. The kids think they are cool, my son got one for Christmas from his Grandma.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#9 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'm not even sure how much longer we need microsoft office. Google now has a free word processing and a spreadsheet program up. Both are decent. Not great, decent. But it's coming, I think. Roger, that picture with the puppy cracked me up.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#10 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

........and a spreadsheet program..............

Found nothing to "best" the Excel program, and you can buy just that part for a Mac. :blush:
That an Adobe Illustrator, is all you need for great chart work and presentations. All brokage firms to my knowledge have the Mac OS-10+++++ protocal. Speed, wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwww. B)
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!