EBAY Fraud

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Some months ago I placed a bid on ebay and was out bid... in the last 30 seconds...can you believe it? LOL!
However I received several "second chance" offers to purchase the item.
One offer was from the Bahamas. The item was in Las Vegas.
It was a fraud attempt.

Then today, I received this fraudulant e-mail notice: "eBay Registration On Hold"
There is a hyperlink in the text of the e-mail: "www.ebay.com".
I was suspiscious so I right clicked the link and selected "properties".
The actual link was NOT to ebay but to "http://pp-update.com/..." which Fixfire identified as a "Suspected Web Forgery".

Rather than clicking on that link, I went to the real ebay site and checked my account.
Of course, there was no problem with my acount.
I reported the Phishing scam to e-bay.

Be careful out there. Don't be da Phish.

Here is the e-mail:

Subject: eBay Registration On Hold
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 6:40 PM

IMPORTANT: Only for seller accounts !

Dear eBay seller Member, we regret to inform you that your eBay account has been put on-hold due to the violation of our site policy below:

Non-payment of US $26.69 balance on your eBay account.

To be considered for reinstatement of this account, you must pay the US $26.69 balance due immediately.

1. Clik to https://www.ebay.com
2. On the sidebar under the 'My Account' section, click the 'Seller Account' link
3. Select a method to pay your eBay fees

If your account remains past due, your ability to bid and list may be restricted.
Your account could be charged a late payment finance charge of up to 1.5 percent of your past due amount and all collections efforts will continue.

If you have already paid your eBay fees, please disregard this message.

Thank you,
eBay Customer Support (Global Billing)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 24 January 2007 - 07:15 PM.

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,021 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

I get some second chance offer phishes, too. The worst is when you get somone asking you about an item that you're selling (when you're selling). Always look at the links carefully. When in doubt, go directly to ebay, don't click on a link. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

When in doubt, go directly to ebay, don't click on a link

Years ago, when I was an internet virgin, I received a very authentic looking notice from "America Online" saying my account was screwed up.

It had the AOL logos and heading and looked very official.

But it smelled funny.
So rather than clicking on the link provided, I logged into my account in the normal manner and found that there was no problem with the account.

It's my wife I worry about. She signs up for everything that's "free". <_<

#4 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

I was getting the same thing from Pay Pal. My wife and I have a strict rule, we never give information to anyone that communicates with us looking for more infomation. Never. Pluse we sit behind a fire wall as well as use up to date spy-ware and virus software. :ninja:
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#5 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

ebay has changed their bidding format....now ur listed as "bidder2"...or 3 or 4 or watever.....i forward all phishing emails to spoof@ebay.com or ...spoof@paypal.com

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

My REAL BIG WORRY is the reports of brokerage accounts being drained.
There is no Fed protection and you are just screwed.
I won't give out my personal info but we hear all the time of business & government data being hacked or laptops being stolen with such inside.

Here's one just 11 hours old: "Aetna personal data of 130,000 members stolen"

And another just 17 minutes old: The personal information of more than 28,000 Nationwide Health Plans customers has been stolen, the Ohio insurance company said.

Here's another:
When Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce stepped forward last week and revealed it had lost a hard drive containing information on almost half a million mutual fund customers, it incited some predictable hand-wringing. How do sensitive computer files simply disappear from an office?

Another:
Five laptops containing data of workers at United Technologies, Hamilton Sundstrand's parent corporation, were stolen from the New York office of Towers Perrin, possibly by an employee. Towers Perrin is a financial management company that oversees UTC's pensions.
Thieves can use such personal information to take out loans, open credit cards and access bank accounts in the name of the victims.
He would not disclose how many workers were affected, but the theft exposed thousands of employees at other companies that use Towers Perrin, too.

Big security breaches:
  • In February 2005, Bank of America admits that 1.2 million personal records may be compromised because of a lost backup tape.
  • DSW says hackers gained access to 1.3 million personal records in April 2005.
  • Four million records are exposed in June 2005 when CitiFinancial loses a backup tape. Hacking into CardSystems' server breaches 40 million records the same month.
  • Ohio Secretary of State says in April 2006 that "potentially millions" of voters' information could be compromised after their names, addresses and Social Security numbers are improperly included on CD-ROMs given to political campaigns.
  • A laptop and storage device are stolen from a Veterans Affairs employee's home in May 2006, exposing the information of every military veteran discharged since 1975, up to 28.5 million records.
This is scary stuff when it involves my retirement account money!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 24 January 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#7 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

"Some months ago I placed a bid on ebay and was out bid... in the last 30 seconds...can you believe it? LOL!" there is software available to bidders to get you the merchandise one tick above the last bid in the last second. happend to me today...i bid with 5 seconds to go.....got out bid anyway....

#8 hpm123

hpm123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

you guys might be interested in this product. I use the free version and haven't had any major issues with it, other than it does slow your surfing down a little. This product will intercept your web-site destination, if the site you're going to is known to be felonious, erroneous, phishy or otherwise. Gives you a warning, and the option to not go there. Of course, it also lets you click thru to the site if you so choose. It's actually a pretty neat concept -

http://www.firetrust...tsitehound.html

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

Actually Firefox did that for me.

#10 hpm123

hpm123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:05 PM