Why we like the market and women and... cats

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

As Mss says: WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE (SO WILL THE MARKET), AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.

What's a guy to do. <_<

Mike Burk:
Most of the technical indicators are direction free. Seasonally the period has been quite strong, but seasonal influences have not had much effect on the market recently. For example, last week the S&P was down for only the 2nd time since 1953 while the mid and small cap indices were up. Right now, there is little to go on but seasonality which has been positive.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 January 2007 - 09:22 PM.

#2 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

Aren't we coming up on a couple of the historically strongest days of the year? Something else to not do as is always done. :)

#3 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Aren't we coming up on a couple of the historically strongest days of the year? Something else to not do as is always done. :)

If you are refering to window dressing, that is why I covered and will wait a bit before I reshort. If its particularly weak during dressing period, I will tend towards the theory that bulls are nearly out of money to push this higher.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

I will tend towards the theory that bulls are nearly out of money to push this higher.

They are printing it right now.

#5 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I will tend towards the theory that bulls are nearly out of money to push this higher.

I know. Its called continual margin. As their portfolio value increases, they can continue to borrow against it and drive it up. This will go on until the borrowing cost on margin exceeds the return rate they can hope to achieve with equity gains.

COT work shows many are fully loaded, as well as NYSE margin debt. If interest rates go a bit higher.. and J6P 401k contributions sink a bit lower..

I'm thinking Mother of All Margin Calls maybe due upon us. At least it gives the bears hope thinking about it :lol:
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

From my blog:

Best day is the Last trading day of January.

I think it means the day which is up more often than any other, not necessarily the most points.
And remember it's FED day!!!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 January 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#7 J.Bilkins

J.Bilkins

• Traders-Talk User
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

I know. Its called continual margin. As their portfolio value increases, they can continue to borrow against it and drive it up. This will go on until the borrowing cost on margin exceeds the return rate they can hope to achieve with equity gains.

COT work shows many are fully loaded, as well as NYSE margin debt. If interest rates go a bit higher.. and J6P 401k contributions sink a bit lower..

I'm thinking Mother of All Margin Calls maybe due upon us. At least it gives the bears hope thinking about it :lol:

Wow! You are a master of words. That is beautiful.