17 replies to this topic

#1 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

The Bernanke Week

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

We now have breakout targets are met and markets are trading at VLT TL resistances as shown on the VLT DOW-SPX charts.

My last comment on the 86yr VLT comments

DOW has broken above 7yr resistance of Jan 2000 intra-high of 11749.49 in Oct 06 37% in 33 mo then rallied 76% in 52 months with intra-high of 12623.45, but now retrieved from the 86yr VLT TL resistance near 12600, as shown on the close-up chart at the bottom-right corner.

During Jun 2006, I commented on the 86yr VLT trend line support as one of factors supporting the bottom call and, in Sept 2006, on VLT DOW chart showing 86yr TL trendline supports with sequences of 1000 point breakouts. Now we have 623 point advance after 12000 breakout however, we already have about 900 point advance from the 11749.49 Jan 2000 and 979.12 points from May 06 high (12621.77-11642.65). Furthermore, since the Jun-Jul06 bottom, the rally point is 100% Fib extension of 1-2 which is equal the points of 2-3 showing normal breakout target from May06 top. Therefore, DOW reached the breakout target and now is trading at a strong resistance.

DOW VLT Trendline Chart

Posted Image

SPX 45yr VLT Trendlines

SPX Commented on the SPX 45yr VLT TL and DOW 86yr VLT TL supports during the Jun-Jul06 bottoming process, quoting, “the Price Chanel is evolved from rising wedge formation”. As shown on the SPX VLT chart, we now have SPX traded to the upper TL resistance 1440. Also, noted that SPX 1440 +/- is Nov2000 resistance.

SPX VLT Trendlines

Posted Image

Comment on Market Direction

As noted on the DOW LT chart with green buy signals, I have called Aug04 and Jun-Jul06 bottom calls based on the very LT trendline supports as reasoning for the call among other market analyses. Now DOW is at the upper VLT resistance and the question is whether I can call the top of the LT sell signal (LT Top). Given breadth negative divergences which I noted during the last few weeks and given the length of this bull market, debatable secular-cyclical bull market, I believe that a market correction is a healthy course of market action; however, calling a LT top is taken with caution because the current bullish sentiment is strong. This is because the Fed is supporting this market. The main reason is that we are in a war which is making public sentiment is getting worse about decisions made by the current administration; therefore, Pres Bush and the Fed will likely keep the market condition to be perceived as bullish by multi-year high price actions as we are seeing. This is a main underlying market psychology which I am seeing in addition to the Breakout technical psychology which I noted before. Therefore, calling LT market top is risky, thus, I will wait for a confirmation.

We have GOOG and over 500 company earning report. Also we have major economic news such as GDP and ISM and the Fed announcement during the next week, so it will be on interesting week.

Happy Trading and Good luck to ALL :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note on the 1998-1999 "RST" formation and 2006-2007 price actions

As shown below, additional significance of the mid 1998-1999 rally is that
the rally point is exactly the textbook breakout target as shown on the
breakout chart in addition to the "megaphone" formation.

As we can see on the 2006-2007 breakout chart, the megaphone formation is
not as precise as the 1998-1999 megaphone formation, since we don't have the
same precise rhythm of RST. However, we can see that we have perfect
"Breakout Target" has been reached at the 86yr Trendline
Resistance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Market Breadth - negative divergences
As commented on the breadth negative divergences during the last few weeks, market breadth is continuing to show negative divergences as shown below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find this website interesting. This is my comment on a board.

http://img256.images...0804ltc1fz2.png
My previous post on the 8yr Global Business Cycle... which is further elaborated as shown on this website:

on Global Economic Cycle

Good luck to ALL :)

Posted Image

As we can see, the M3 is continuing to rise since the last time when it was published. I am not sure how they (NAF - nowandfutures.com) tracked the information. Since you might have read other comments on NAF, please do comment on those with your own thoughts.

http://www.nowandfut...m/forecast.html

On this, they also sited "Global Business Cycle" which I commented on during 2006 Mid year. Their comments on the GBC is an elaboration of my work presented which I will be posting my comments. Certainly the comment on the subject is interesting which I also noted.

QUOTE:
Global Business Cycle, showing economic confidence & activity
It peaked on a relative basis in late December 2004, and is headed down through January 2006. Global economic confidence will turn back up into a major relative peak in early February 2007.

Before you blow this off as just another cycle graph from some analysis cycle nerd, please do look at the relative accuracy. The cycle called a global top in early January 2005, the US stock market bottom in late 2002, the Dow Jones and S&P 500 peak in 2000, the low in gold in mid 1999, the Russia/Brazil/LTCM crises in mid 1998, the Asian crisis bottom in 1997, a very good buy point in US stocks in early 1994 as the hottest part of the move started, and the global peak in late 1989 when Japan and various other financial items peaked. Credit belongs here (more data here). Maybe its too simple... but it works for us to help put things into a broad perspective. Do also note that we're not trying to say that different markets hit peaks and valleys at the same time, just that the cycle helps identify probable major turning points in one or more markets. We used to have a link to Mr. Ed Yardeni's fine site for how oil tied in to the global business cycle, but it has gone private as of late 2006.

Another broad look at where we have been and where we may be going is a Word document from Ian Gordon's site, The Long Wave Analyst. We disagree on his timing since he feels we're in a deflation and headed for much more, but its a valid cyclical outlook.

One last quite good predictive aid is the Baltic Dry Index ( chart link and recent values), a broad measure of worldwide shipping prices - when its going up, many world economies are improving and vice versa.

END of QUOTE

With regard to "McHugh's megaphone crash" work which he presented, as noted on the previous post, he also presented his M3 analysis in the past.

http://www.safehaven.../archive-74.htm

I hope that Dr Bernanke will control the equity market bubble at this juncture instead of further bubbling up since markets are at VLT TL resistances after meeting the breakout targets.

Markets are at major resistances, 86yr TL resistance on DOW and 45yr TL resistances on SPX and NASDAQ ; therefore, we need to be extremely cautious with bullish/bearish sentiment, because bullish bias is still dominant unless the FED Bernanke has a sober mind to control the market to pull back at this juncture.

Thanks and God bless

Edited by Trend-Signals, 28 January 2007 - 02:30 PM.

Market Timing ... Trend-Signals.com

#2 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

:redbull: :bear:

Bears need to show strength, but the Fed, Bernanke decides, of course! :sweatingbullets:

Do you think that Dr Bernanke will be sugar daddy to Bulls or to Bears?

Also, which way will the GOOG will trade after the earing news? Any guess?

Posted Image

http://stockcharts.c...32402&r=296.png

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

If you look carefully, you will see that the M3 chart is rising like a straight line now, after a parabolic rise in the middle of the 2006. This is the step before it starts to level off from this nose bleeding levels, you know where I am going with this, it is well reflected in the credit growth rate in the commercial banks that I posted here with the "liquidity update" title, thanks for sharing your work. BTW, although you might not appreciate them, I think the Fed is doing everything they can to keep this economy healthy and growing, I generally respect their hard work and efforts actually...

Edited by kisacik, 28 January 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#4 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi kisacik, Thanks as well for your work on MF. Of course, it is too obvious that the M3 is flying with parabolic move :D which anyone can notice it; but, I think that you are just drawing everyone's attention to the fact that it is rising at astronomical rate. Of course, this is a bit of exaggeration, the astronomical part. Yes, of course, I love Dr Bernanke even though we all have our weaknesses. He is certainly managing our economy well so that many can benefit from it; even so, we would wonder whether he is not favoring rich folks over average Americans. This is not a simple topic to debate whether tightening monetary policy is better than easy one which is what we are seeing now. Of course, he is not God who can solve all of problems that we have. Not even God is not solving all problems, but he certainly seems to be favoring Bulls lately for sure. Not sure whether you are a bull or a bear at this point, but best wishes for you. :)

Edited by Trend-Signals, 28 January 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#5 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hi kisacik,

The following is your comment on your post. Why do you think that it takes "Three" pokes to make a trend change? :) Would it be the three push - i.e. EW wave?

Quote: The indicators are on the left scale, the money flow is on the right scale. The purple lines represent the existing trend, the yellow lines represent the curvature of the trend. This tool indicates the bottoms better than the tops. The distance of the curvature lines to the zero line shows the intensity of the momentum. A cross over in the curvature lines signals either a correction or the change of trend, it will be confirmed by the cross over of the purple lines later. A divergence in the curvature such as a higher low or lower high usually signals a trend change soon. The curvature lines moving above the zero line without poking back generate usually a reliable signal and three pokes in the curvature lines usually change or consolidate an existing trend. The trend changes signaled higher (or lower) than the previous price highs (or lows) are less and less reliable. --kisa

#6 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Of course, it is too obvious that the M3 is flying with parabolic move biggrin.gif which anyone can notice it; but, I think that you are just drawing everyone's attention to the fact that it is rising at astronomical rate. Of course, this is a bit of exaggeration, the astronomical part.

I think you missed my remark there, I said it has become a linear rise after rising parabolicly at the middle of the 2006. Basically a linear rise is not exponential, a parabolic rise is. A linear rise at the end of a parabolic rise mean the rate of growth is about to go through an inflection point soon...

Check out the topic I posted about the liquidity update, I isolated the commercial credit within the M3 which used to be probably its largest component. The commecial credit is actually declining, this usually leads the money flow into the economy by some good 9 months due to its compounding effect.

I never had the time to deal with quantifying the compounding effect of the growth rate since it is a complex differential equation. But please do check out this topic and let me know...

The following is your comment on your post. Why do you think that it takes "Three" pokes to make a trend change? smile.gif Would it be the three push - i.e. EW wave?

This is something driven by somewhat emprical reasons, but my best guess is the participants are too smart to figure out what's going on after it happens 3 times at most and it rarely leads to another blow off, but rather a trend change...

I am not quite relying on the indicators there anymore, but I keep them up there since they are useful for mostly verification purposes. Most of my work is driven right now by the volume weighted price decompositions in the multiple time frames...

- kisa

#7 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

Posted Image

Well, if you think that the ROC is slowing, it is your opinion, so we have the differences of our opinion. You may see something that I don't see because I consider the current M3 ROC the same as before - parabolic. Maybe we are looking at different time frame, but I was commenting on the timeframe which posted above M3 chart.

Having said that, let's agree to disagree on that part since it is a waste of our time to debate about it further. :)

Also, do you find it is useful to use Excel spreadsheet for your market analyses instead of professional trading platforms? Guessing that you have a customized analysis which you need to do with excel.

Anyway, good luck

Edited by Trend-Signals, 28 January 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#8 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

We are definitely not seeing the same way, here's the way I see it...

Posted Image

Do you agree with me now? :)

- kisa

#9 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

PS. I use excel to stream in my data and chart my stuff from anywhere. I do not trade for living, well I kind of do, but I also hold a day job as a Sr Visual Effects Developer at one of the respected studios in Hollywood. Excel is great for any last minute touch ups or customize my charts a bit. It is quickly done than programming them into the database. The prof trading platforms also offer it but I can not take them with me anywhere. I wrote my own programs and the server calculates and updates its database from my other office. Then all I have to do is to connect to my server and retrieve the data to update on my laptop or anywhere I go from any computer I want to as long as they have a program to draw some charts. I kept the output data formats relatively simple for this purpose, but I do some heavy number crunching in my servers...

#10 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

PS. I use excel to stream in my data and chart my stuff from anywhere. I do not trade for living, well I kind of do, but I also hold a day job as a Sr Visual Effects Developer at one of the respected studios in Hollywood. Excel is great for any last minute touch ups or customize my charts a bit. It is quickly done than programming them into the database. The prof trading platforms also offer it but I can not take them with me anywhere. I wrote my own programs and the server calculates and updates its database from my other office. Then all I have to do is to connect to my server and retrieve the data to update on my laptop or anywhere I go from any computer I want to as long as they have a program to draw some charts. I kept the output data formats relatively simple for this purpose, but I do some heavy number crunching in my servers...

Very impressive kisa. Do you run your models using a cluster?

You might be interested in this package for graphing. The source is available to modify and interface to: http://www.r-project.org/

Thanks for posting your work.