For those about to buy new computers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

I've been waiting to upgrade for a bit.. not getting in on the Vista hype. But with Michael Dell's recent return to CEO, I think Dell is about to rock the house with price wars that we haven't seen in a while. So... I think I'll wait just 1-2 more months to get the deals of the year. You can always check www.techbargains.com for coupon codes that will flood the market that will let you save tons on new computers. Personally, its time to get one of those nice quad core machines, with latest gfx card. Wait 1-2 months, save about 10-20%, I'm almost certain.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#2 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Dell's pc business is about 10% of their gross and 90% of their aggravation, most likely because their support has become something of an internet joke. Computer for guys like us is a tool. Get only what you need, but get the absolute best. Not a place to economize, imho.

Edited by selecto, 06 February 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#3 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

I've been waiting to upgrade for a bit.. not getting in on the Vista hype.

But with Michael Dell's recent return to CEO, I think Dell is about to rock the house with price wars that we haven't seen in a while.

So... I think I'll wait just 1-2 more months to get the deals of the year.

You can always check www.techbargains.com for coupon codes that will flood the market that will let you save tons on new computers.

Personally, its time to get one of those nice quad core machines, with latest gfx card. Wait 1-2 months, save about 10-20%, I'm almost certain.

You're probably right; in regard to Vista, all hardware companies will offer it to you on any new machine. The problem is that it probably won't work with any of your software. I downloaded and ran the Vista compatibility software package and the results indicated that absolutely none of my existing software would work with it. I'm probably a year off on Vista. You can get the evaluation software at the Microsoft site. MDW
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

I downloaded and ran the Vista compatibility software package and the results indicated that absolutely none of my existing software would work with it.

My hardware wouldn't run it either.
It just barely runs my DOS 6.0. :P

I was thinking of running a poll as to who has it, wants it or is considering switching to a MAC for the next upgrade.

But I've been too busy re-booting.

#5 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,000 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

I've been waiting to upgrade for a bit.. not getting in on the Vista hype.

But with Michael Dell's recent return to CEO, I think Dell is about to rock the house with price wars that we haven't seen in a while.

So... I think I'll wait just 1-2 more months to get the deals of the year.

You can always check www.techbargains.com for coupon codes that will flood the market that will let you save tons on new computers.

Personally, its time to get one of those nice quad core machines, with latest gfx card. Wait 1-2 months, save about 10-20%, I'm almost certain.

I wonder if everyone needs a Vista since Vista premium = Windows XP Media Center. :)

#6 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

You're going to get vista put on it no matter what. The main point is that computer price war's about to start, and to take advantage of the lower prices. My guess is Dell will kick it off, HP and others will follow suit. So wait til it gets full blown.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Link
Apple warns iPod users against Vista

By Martin Beckford
Last Updated: 10:44am GMT 06/02/2007
IPods could be damaged by Microsoft's new computer operating system, the company behind the popular digital music players has warned.
Apple, the long-standing rival of Bill Gates's Microsoft, is urging users not to upgrade their PCs to the Vista system until it comes up with a compatible version of the software that runs iPods.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 06 February 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#8 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Link
Apple warns iPod users against Vista

By Martin Beckford
Last Updated: 10:44am GMT 06/02/2007
IPods could be damaged by Microsoft's new computer operating system, the company behind the popular digital music players has warned.
Apple, the long-standing rival of Bill Gates's Microsoft, is urging users not to upgrade their PCs to the Vista system until it comes up with a compatible version of the software that runs iPods.

ROFL, this will soon be followed by Microsoft telling others that Vista won't run on an iMac.

#9 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

<<<Computer for guys like us is a tool. Get only what you need, but get the absolute best. Not a place to economize, imho.>>> Exactly. I used to laugh my [bleeep] off when they talked about the processing speed of the CPU and the access time on hard disks. 99.99% of my time on the computer was spent either typing, or reading the screen or just plain thinking about how to solve the problem in front of me. One of my expert systems had over a million lines of code, so it is not hard to imagine how much time was eaten up with the processing speed of my own brain! So, think of the computer hardware and basic systems software as a tool, like a hammer or a wrench. You can get a gold plated one with superbly sculptured shape, but the nail or the hex nut won't know the difference.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule