• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

One should always consider all the possibilities. At our hospital we go through frequent drills, trying to simulate plane crashes, factory explosions, chemical spills, flu outbreaks, etc. Always try to suss out all those little things you never quite plan for. Once again we've reached that "homeostasis" zone where there are heady bulls "all in" with "no risk below" and heady bears all in short with "no risk" in their position either. But what if NOTHING happens? I.E. the bull just keeps plodding along? Hasn't that been the great fooler of the current bull market? DECREASED volatility, shallow pullbacks and constant nudging forward? Just one possiblity to consider. (of course having said this the market will be up or down by a zillion points in the next few minutes....) mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Traders do not earn $ by slow grinding upclimb. This industry has grown gigantic, and to feed all the traders, volatility has to increase. I expect some soon, just so that they can rob the masses even more.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#3 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Then again that is just paper profit.....One picture stuck in my mind.....After the dot com bust.....A young man showed a sign that said "I was a millionare".
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#4 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Low volatility is actually good. I sold a lot of SPX 1440 puts the other day (posted it here) and it has been a pleasure watching them lose value. 1440 on SPX is far away in the low volatility environment. Next Friday they will expire worthless. Denleo

#5 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Denleo...how much did you get for those puts? Not total...contract amount.

Edited by Teaparty, 07 February 2007 - 01:55 PM.

#6 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

orderly and gradual trends are not desirable? afternoon strength is not desirable? in addition, there are 100's of individual stocks and a large basket of ETF's and Ishares that exhibit this trend..seems to be saying something.

#7 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

Volatility and sharp pullbacks make JP6 raise questions about deficets, war, and housing time bomb.....better just to keep oil down, keep producing goldilocks econ numbers, and mkt grinding at least until the Persian Excursion, ie Iran..

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

orderly and gradual trends are not desirable?

afternoon strength is not desirable?

in addition, there are 100's of individual stocks and a large basket of ETF's and Ishares that exhibit this trend..seems to be saying something.

Good Grief, of course they are desirable!! My portfolio holdings just keep going up and up, spewing out dividends, etc. Love it.

I'm talking about the "trading" side of it all....

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#9 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

Denleo...how much did you get for those puts? Not total...contract amount.

I was selling them for around $5.00

#10 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

mm :D agree...