Minority Report: Your brain in jail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Remember the movie Minority Report where they arrested people before they broke the law?
Now women will be slapping me ahead of time! :lol:

The brain scan that can read people's intentions
Call for ethical debate over possible use of new technology in interrogation
Ian Sample, science correspondent
Friday February 9, 2007
The Guardian

A team of world-leading neuroscientists has developed a powerful technique that allows them to look deep inside a person's brain and read their intentions before they act.The research breaks controversial new ground in scientists' ability to probe people's minds and eavesdrop on their thoughts, and raises serious ethical issues over how brain-reading technology may be used in the future.

The team used high-resolution brain scans to identify patterns of activity before translating them into meaningful thoughts, revealing what a person planned to do in the near future. It is the first time scientists have succeeded in reading intentions in this way.

"...could lead to computers that allow people to operate email and the internet using thought alone"
(Who said that two years ago?) ;)

MORE...
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 February 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

True Story: One time I built a "BRAIN METER" which I operated at the State Fair. People would actually pay me to stick their head between two chrome gearshift knobs which were attached to a "computer". ;) Whirling lights would flash and stop randomly on one of ten different ratings from "genius" to "stupid". There were a lot of stupid people as I remember.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

I think politicians will be the first to ban this! :lol: What if we knew their real intentions?