USD: it's all about the index you choose

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

Here's the chart that gets most of the attention and makes the goldbugs get excited:

Posted Image

But guess what? That's not the chart Prof. Bernanke & Co. cares most about. The index that has the greatest influence on the Fed is most likely the Broad Dollar index:

Posted Image

The Broad Dollar Index utilizes currencies from many more trading partners/countries, weights them according to actual trade flows and updates the weightings every year. China and Mexico currently comprise almost 25% of the index while neither shows up in either the U.S. Dollar Index or the Major Currencies Dollar Index.

Does that look like a currency on the brink collapse to you?

Data and charts courtesy of Ron Griess, thechartstore.com., reproduced here with permission.
Da nile is more than a river in Egypt.

#2 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

Very Interesting. Thanks for posting. Do you know what the symbols are of these various indexes so one could look at them on a daily basis? I can't find them, or maybe I don't have the names right. thanks TM

#3 fauxpas13

fauxpas13

• Traders-Talk User
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:10 AM

Do you know what the symbols are of these various indexes so one could look at them on a daily basis?

$USD is symbol for dollar (DX) at stockcharts.com

link to the dx futures (delayed) futuresource.com dollar index chart

#4 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:40 AM

Thanks, faux TM

#5 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:01 AM

Very Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Do you know what the symbols are of these various indexes so one could look at them on a daily basis?

I can't find them, or maybe I don't have the names right.

thanks

TM

The data for the Broad Dollar Index comes directly from the Fed's website. I'm not sure how frequently it's updated.
Da nile is more than a river in Egypt.

#6 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:20 AM

Thanks jaw, needed symbol for that one even more I'll check out Fed TM

#7 beta

beta

lasergirl

• TT Patron+
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

That broad dollar index looks cooked, too. Target 60. :o
"Daytrading -- An Extreme Sport !"

#8 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Dollar index based on ACTUAL TRADING VOLUMES... Now that makes very good sense! Thanks for posting. I learned something new today... which is unusual because I know so darn much already :D
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#9 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Broad dollar index looks to be headed for 60 in the long run.

Here's the chart that gets most of the attention and makes the goldbugs get excited:

Posted Image

But guess what? That's not the chart Prof. Bernanke & Co. cares most about. The index that has the greatest influence on the Fed is most likely the Broad Dollar index:

Posted Image

The Broad Dollar Index utilizes currencies from many more trading partners/countries, weights them according to actual trade flows and updates the weightings every year. China and Mexico currently comprise almost 25% of the index while neither shows up in either the U.S. Dollar Index or the Major Currencies Dollar Index.

Does that look like a currency on the brink collapse to you?

Data and charts courtesy of Ron Griess, thechartstore.com., reproduced here with permission.

"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/