TT Board site problem?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

Is there any reason why site doesn't work to view new posts or profile options---find members posts? When clicked I always get this i message. " Board Message Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information. The error returned was: Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

Edited by vitaminm, 15 February 2007 - 02:40 PM.

vitaminm

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Sorry! In order to save server power to get you access and to fend off the DOS attacks, we've disabled the "search" function for non-patrons. This all affects "view new posts" and a few other features. We figured that you'd rather be able to get into and read the site than only occasionally get in and be able to search. You can almost map the waves of attacks. We block the IP's as soon as they prove themselves to be attackers. Then access and speed improves for a while, and then it starts all over. I think TT needs a "pet hacker" to find these folks and "deter" further attacks. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Sorry! In order to save server power to get you access and to fend off the DOS attacks, we've disabled the "search" function for non-patrons. This all affects "view new posts" and a few other features. We figured that you'd rather be able to get into and read the site than only occasionally get in and be able to search.

You can almost map the waves of attacks. We block the IP's as soon as they prove themselves to be attackers. Then access and speed improves for a while, and then it starts all over.

I think TT needs a "pet hacker" to find these folks and "deter" further attacks.

Mark

Thanks
vitaminm

#4 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

If I were at work, I'd fish around in the IT department for any ideas that might help you, but I'm off this week. We have experienced DOS problems with our site but it was unitentional. Customers scrapping off information they need but polling for it far too often, thus causing DOS situations. For instance, if a particular market generates prices once every hour, why would they pull it ever 10 seconds 24 x 7? Silly programing mistakes by novice web developers or programmers that create DOS problems on our end. IN our case we can shut them down by IP and they come back to us saying what's up? We tell them what they've been doing to us and the fix it right away. One thing I'm sure our IT department might suggest would be to make it a password only site. But that impares your ability to be wide open to the outside world, attract new users and advertisers. It doesn't make sense why someone would attack this site, unless they have a grudge or maybe they see it as compitition and want you to close it down. You are after all taking ad dollars and offer a service.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#5 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

Is it possible they are using you somehow? Say caching adds on your server?
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

When we first explored this, I found that one post was being pulled and it was in reference to an outfit that I thought was behaving improperly and which presented what I believe to be a risk to investors. They are not SEC registered and are all too likely to be shady.

Here's a link:
http://vippax.com/in...p?page=assetmgm

Obviously, I don't have proof it is them, but it is interesting that they were going to one old post where we discussed this outfit.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#7 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Did you guys trace back the IPs requesting the service?

It is getting ridiculous, it is a crime by the way...

http://en.wikipedia....-service_attack
http://en.wikipedia....hitecture_Board

- kisa

#8 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

Whew....good to find out I was not singled out or barred from the board :D The message "you have no permission..." sure threw me a scare. I am confident Mark & company will find out the source of problem and take action.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

At this point, we suspect that we were randomly selected. We're getting thousands and thousands of requests from IP's in Portugal *(currently). We block IP's, but this is tricky. We don't want to block all IP's nor Block them too quickly if they aren't part of the attack, and if legit IP's get temporarily used, we want to make them OK again within a reasonable time. All of this requires tweaking and changes, some of which will amount to letting the darned buttheads through again, prior to blocking. If I knew who was doing this (they are most likely a kid testing some script or bot or both, and well hidden), there'd be some hell to pay, I can tell you. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#10 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for all of your work...