Greenberg on NFI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

An excellent column that also reveals what truly nasty places certain (other) stock and trading message boards have become:

Marketwatch
Da nile is more than a river in Egypt.

#2 A-ha

A-ha

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

I think it is going to spread to home builders as the charts suggest. and I am really getting closer to short them big time. I regretfully missed NFI , I will not do the same mistake again.

Edited by xD&Cox, 21 February 2007 - 02:37 PM.

#3 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

note 1 min volume candles just now on the move below $10...I bought a very small postion near 9.90..... it has been riding the 20 ma on the 1 minute for a while now does it have a hope of setting up a double bottom intraday? now riding the 5 ma down on the 1 minute I would guess 10.30 is max potential upside from here....I roundtripped a large postion this a.m. for the pop toward day's high...just playing now.

Edited by hiker, 21 February 2007 - 02:41 PM.

#4 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

note 1 min volume candles just now on the move below $10...I bought a very small postion near 9.90.....

it has been riding the 20 ma on the 1 minute for a while now

does it have a hope of setting up a double bottom intraday?

now riding the 5 ma down on the 1 minute

Wow -- I wish you luck with this. Nimble VST trading is a skill I don't have.

IT, I believe this puppy has a real chance of going to zero. The herd must be culled, and NFI is one of its weakest members.

#5 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

I think it is going to spread to home builders as the charts suggest. and I am really getting closer to short them big time.

Here's the scenario I expect to unfold as set forth by someone commenting on CR's blog:

In today's wild and crazy markets, hedge funds have been borrowing money from banks to take on CDO tranches-- they are a key part of the market liquidity. So you have levered holders of CDOs. If something goes wrong, the market could be flooded with low quality MBS/CDO, as the hedge funds (also 'marked to market') will be forced to sell, and effectively the new issue market for MBS will be shut down. At which point, only banks that keep mortgages on their balance sheet will be lending.

And we will be back to a world of 20% cash down, first mortgages only. The remaining banks will only lend as first mortagors to prime residential real estate, because they will not be able to shift the mortgages off balance sheet and so free up reserves for more lending. This is called a 'credit crunch'. The housing market will, accordingly, freeze up for some time.

That is the danger.

Home builders, of course, will feel the pain. But so will BKX, XBD, and RLX which can be shorted from their current perch at the very top of the cliff. :D