Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

I have not been able to connect to TT ...almost the entire day! <_<

#2 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

I have not been able to connect to TT ...almost the entire day! <_<

I wasn't able to read any posts all weekend. In fact, it looked as if people weren't able to post.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#3 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

It has been going on for way too long. If it is not fixed, a lot of people will be gone unfortunately. Denleo

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,016 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

I know this sucks, guys. This weekend's problem was sending our tech guy into fits...then it turned out to be a network problem not directly related to the DOS attacks. We are continuing to work on this problem. Everything is on the table. GD is chatting right now with our tech to see what drastic measures are at our disposal. For now, just keep trying. I'm finding that I'm able to get in quickly often, and only sometimes does the site hang. If I wait a mo, I can usually get in quickly. We WILL find a solution to this issue. I'm just hoping it entails having whoever is responsible drawn and quartered. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I'm plenty impatient. Mark Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#5 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Reiteration: We are experiencing a Denial of Service attack (DoS), specifically a flood attack.

Wikipedia DoS

This will continue until 1. they stop, or 2. We move to a new server that they do not follow us to.

If this is a random attack, moving to a new server may fix the problem, but it also means that many of you won't be able to 'find' the new server for 6-48 hours while a new site propogates.

If it is a directed attack at Traders-Talk, the attacker will most likely just move on to the new server and continue business as usual.

There really isn't much we can do, but if you want to help us move to a new server, we could use some help.

#6 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Reiteration: We are experiencing a Denial of Service attack (DoS), specifically a flood attack.

Wikipedia DoS

This will continue until 1. they stop, or 2. We move to a new server that they do not follow us to.

If this is a random attack, moving to a new server may fix the problem, but it also means that many of you won't be able to 'find' the new server for 6-48 hours while a new site propogates.

If it is a directed attack at Traders-Talk, the attacker will most likely just move on to the new server and continue business as usual.

There really isn't much we can do, but if you want to help us move to a new server, we could use some help.

Would you be able to post the real IP if you move to a new service? I think that would work, that we can copy and past the IP and that will take us to you.

#7 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

Would you be able to post the real IP if you move to a new service? I think that would work, that we can copy and post the IP and that will take us to you.

Yes, but it would be risky if we are dealing with a directed attack, because it would kinda defeat the purpose of the move, which would be to 'escape' the DoS and "hide" from the attackers. It would be like, "hey let's all hide from Mr. Badguy and leave a note for him as to where we'll be hiding."

We could privately send the new IP to all members privately, though.
We've expended a lot of resources over the past 2 weeks, this may not happen for a while.

#8 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

Wikipedia DoS

Just post the new IP.. before you change the server. and people can get there without the use of the DNS.

#9 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Would you be able to post the real IP if you move to a new service? I think that would work, that we can copy and post the IP and that will take us to you.

Yes, but it would be risky if we are dealing with a directed attack, because it would kinda defeat the purpose of the move, which would be to 'escape' the DoS and "hide" from the attackers. It would be like, "hey let's all hide from Mr. Badguy and leave a note for him as to where we'll be hiding."

We could privately send the new IP to all members privately, though.
We've expended a lot of resources over the past 2 weeks, this may not happen for a while.

Perhaps, but they can find the new IP by pinging for it after it propagates.

If it's a directed attack, they will catch up with you because you have a public website. But it's it's not aimed at you, you can post the NEW IP here as a thread, before you flip, and then we can all use it when the time comes.

#10 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

Perhaps, but they can find the new IP by pinging for it after it propagates.
If it's a directed attack, they will catch up with you because you have a public website.

Yes, that's a very real possibility. It's part of why we haven't made the somewhat expensive decision to move yet.

But it's it's not aimed at you, you can post the NEW IP here as a thread, before you flip, and then we can all use it when the time comes.

But we won't know if it's aimed at us specifically. . . until we move . . . and wait for the attack to follow. :cry:

It's a catch-22 solution.