All this crash talk makes me want to barf

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mmm

mmm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

The crash talk on this board is thick and heavy. Black monday 1987, etc. As I stated in an earlier topic I am not bearish or bullish longer term but if you are going to talk crashes then lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Just the facts mame.
The market now and in 2000

http://www.decisionp.../McOsi9610.html

The market in 1987

http://www.decisionp.../McOsi8295.html

You need to look at the summation index of the NYSE at those times and now and other similar sell off times like 1966. What these show us is that what made these selloffs possible was a declining summation index and ones that are well below 2500. Also we just came off of all time highs in the NYSE A/D line. There have never been crashes or even a bear market that started at these levels. Can it be different this time? Time will tell but on a short term technical basis we are very oversold. So a bounce first. The strength of the bounce will tell us alot of how much further we go down. If we do enter a bear market this year I would expect a retest of these highs one more time to sucker more people into it since there are soooooo many bears already so early in the game. I think we go lower on Monday but should bottom at that point.

Dennis

#2 Citation

Citation

• Traders-Talk User
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

It's just on this board, so please calm down. This board, comprised of mostly "timers," has always had a somewhat bearish bent. Just look at what virtually everyone else is saying on CNBC, in your neighborhood, at work. From my informal survey, most people believe the CNBC/Cramer line, which is that this is just a temporary downturn, one that we will recover from quickly because the economy is sound yadda, yadda. The problem is that not enough people are panicking like the few perpetual bears on this board. I would never use this board as a barometer for general market sentiment! People who don't know Traders-Talk well almost always think this is a "bear board." Over the past few years, I've told people about this board and almost everyone who's ever come to this board for the first time has always commented that this is a board full of bears. We all know that the market has been in a rip roaring bull phase over the past 4 years but if anyone were to look at this board during this period, there were always very loud bears that appeared to predominate over bulls. So, my point is, this board is NOT a gauge for general market sentiment. I come for the occasional interesting tidbit but never to use it as a gauge for market direction, either as a direct or contrarian indicator. The world is a lot bigger than www.traders-talk.com!

#3 n83

n83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

The crash talk on this board is thick and heavy. Black monday 1987, etc. As I stated in an earlier topic I am not bearish or bullish longer term but if you are going to talk crashes then lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Just the facts mame.
The market now and in 2000

http://www.decisionp.../McOsi9610.html

The market in 1987

http://www.decisionp.../McOsi8295.html

You need to look at the summation index of the NYSE at those times and now and other similar sell off times like 1966. What these show us is that what made these selloffs possible was a declining summation index and ones that are well below 2500. Also we just came off of all time highs in the NYSE A/D line. There have never been crashes or even a bear market that started at these levels. Can it be different this time? Time will tell but on a short term technical basis we are very oversold. So a bounce first. The strength of the bounce will tell us alot of how much further we go down. If we do enter a bear market this year I would expect a retest of these highs one more time to sucker more people into it since there are soooooo many bears already so early in the game. I think we go lower on Monday but should bottom at that point.

Dennis

why is it that so many also expect that 'one more'/'last' whatever test of the highs-g..like it HAS to happen..same w the crash stuff

#4 S.I.M.O.N.

S.I.M.O.N.

SIMONForecast

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

The crash talk on this board is thick and heavy. Black monday 1987, etc. As I stated in an earlier topic I am not bearish or bullish longer term but if you are going to talk crashes then lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

yes it does, but would you really want it any other way, mkt gives the bears an inch, now they want
a mile. For a bull looking for new mkt highs, this board right now should be a symphony for the senses,
even though reading it might make you do something really crazy, like sell.
As for cnbc/cramer, i would be very surpised if they ever said anything bearish about the mkt, not in
their job description. A pretty face with a soothing voice to fill the time between commercials.
*previously known as pnfwave

#5 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

The crash talk on this board is thick and heavy. Black monday 1987, etc. As I stated in an earlier topic I am not bearish or bullish longer term but if you are going to talk crashes then lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

yes it does, but would you really want it any other way, mkt gives the bears an inch, now they want
a mile. For a bull looking for new mkt highs, this board right now should be a symphony for the senses,
As for cnbc/cramer, i would be very surpised if they ever said anything bearish about the mkt, not in
their job description. A pretty face with a soothing voice to fill the time between commercials.

PNF...you've had somereally good calls lately...
I don't recall you posting an opinion for ST. Any opinions?

#6 mmm

mmm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I think perhaps some are missing the point I am trying to make from a technical point of view. It can always be different but the McClellan summation index and the NYSE A/D line do not support a bear market or crash at this time. I have looked at the patterns XD&COX and the fractal patterns FRAC MAN are alluding to and these patterns do not necessarily have to play out. If the A/D line and Summation index were showing weakness at this point then a crash could occur or a bear market be starting. Time will tell . The sentiment on this board is very bearish and I have been following this board since about 2002. My experience is that when I see this much bearishness it is close to a bottom not withstanding the quality of traders here which I have the most respect for ( including XD&COX AND FRAC MAN ) Dennis

#7 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

The momentum here is definitely toward the bearish side. I'm looking to go long end of the day Tuesday due to such a high CBOE put/call ratio, oversold nature of McClellan. The market usually gets investors back on the bullish bandwagon around this time 5-6 days after a 10X volume down day. I don't necessarily believe we will not hit new highs, but I believe we will at least have a good 3 - 5 days with decent returns that will take indices higher. Barry

#8 S.I.M.O.N.

S.I.M.O.N.

SIMONForecast

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

thank you,
imvho, unless you are a hardcore bear who wants to eek out every last dime
from the downside, correction is over and new highs are coming up.
A month ago i posted on my blog that there was 6-8% risk on the downside and
1-2% of upside left. Now we have the opposite, except there's unlimited upside, but only
1% downside(if that), i would take those odds any day of the week.
*previously known as pnfwave

#9 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

thank you,
imvho, unless you are a hardcore bear who wants to eek out every last dime
from the downside, correction is over and new highs are coming up.
A month ago i posted on my blog that there was 6-8% risk on the downside and
1-2% of upside left. Now we have the opposite, except there's unlimited upside, but only
1% downside(if that), i would take those odds any day of the week.

Pnfwave,

What is keeping you bullish ? Chart ?

#10 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

hi CLK..his site

http://fibo-count.blogspot.com/