• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

It's well known that the Virginia Tech shooter was deeply depressed and crazed with anger. He had a sick sick mind and such a mind cannot dwell in a healthy body. The link is undeniable. Any credible nutritionist will tell you that there is a clear connection between clinical depression and food intake. Just as there is between drug abuse and nutrition. Most people who are depressed, simply turn their anger inward and may also turn to alcohol or other drugs. But some, like the VT shooter turn their rage upon innocent victims. Depression exists along a continuum ... with a mere lousy mood at one end and insanity at the other. But no newspaper or media program will ever touch on the connection between depression and dietary intake. They will talk about the killer, interspersed with pizza, cola and oreo cookie ads. Okay, I'm not saying that an oreo cookie caused the VT shooting .... but the habitual consumption, day after day, week after week and year after year of non food items, can and DOES contribute to serious depression and mental illness. When will corpoate America spend their billions on healing the minds and bodies of our population? How many more junk food TV ads do we have to accept? How many more people will have to suffer and die? My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of the VT shooting. I will not remember the shooters name, nor look at any of his published photos ... for I will not do the very thing he would have wanted. Peace to all. C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 19 April 2007 - 01:15 PM.

#2 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

It's well known that the Virginia Tech shooter was deeply depressed and crazed with anger.
He had a sick sick mind and such a mind cannot dwell in a healthy body. The link is undeniable.

Any credible nutritionist will tell you that there is a clear connection between clinical depression
and food intake. Just as there is between drug abuse and nutrition. Most people who are depressed, simply turn their anger inward and may also turn to alcohol or other drugs. But some, like the VT shooter turn their rage upon innocent victims. Depression exists along a continuum ... with a mere lousy mood at one end and insanity at the other.

But no newspaper or media program will ever touch on the connection between depression and dietary intake. They will talk about the killer, interspersed with pizza, cola and oreo cookie ads.

Okay, I'm not saying that an oreo cookie caused the VT shooting .... but the habitual consumption, day after day, week after week and year after year of non food items, can and DOES contribute to serious depression and mental illness.

I commend you for looking at the causes of crime, that is what is missing largely from our criminal justice system for it to be more effective.
But, in this case, it is hard to blame nutrition as the main cause. I am sure you are correct that nutrition plays 'a part', but main cause here is America's insane love affair with guns, that no other first world nation can fathom It really is as simple as it appear, if people don't have access to guns, they can't massacre people, like they rarely do in Europe, or Australia, that is the REAL issue the media won't touch except for with kid gloves.

The facts SHOULD speak for themselves, here are worldwide figure's of gun deaths per 100,000 or population ( therefore accounting for population size) -
Source: Table A10
http://forums.menshe...71/m/9641062662

I've selected larger nations of equalivant economic/social development

Country......Population.......Murder Rate(per 100,000)....Total
USA.............300Mil ............. 11.3 ............................ 30,400
UK............... 60M ............... 0.3.................................200
Germany......80M.................. 1.5 ..............................1200
France.........60M................... 5 ................................2600
Canada.......30M ..................3.4................................1000
Australia ......20M .................1.8 ...............................330

I say *should* speak for themselves, but after years of reading the so called counter arguments to these facts(and others), I realize as usual logic is powerless in the face of emotional hyperbole as constitutes the majority of society 'debate', unfortunately the quality of a democracy is only as high as the collective reasoning of its population.

I will not remember the shooters name, nor look at any of his published photos ... for I will not do the very thing he would have wanted.
Peace to all.
C.C.

My belief based on available facts, is this person was mentally ill, what 'he wanted' was based on a malfunction brain. Bad enough that anyone has access to guns, but allowing the mentally ill access to guns, well, who is to blame for the result? would you give guns to a child? no, because you know their brain cannot reason well enough, same here....oh wait, children do get access to guns, and frequently.

The only contribution any of us can make to this is to understand what can be done to prevent more innocent people dieing. That goes back to where you started, understanding CAUSES, and PREVENTION. But that's hard work, it means challenging our preconceived ideas, and our emoitional reactions for blame and vengeance.

Like anything in life, things don't get better unless people learn from mistakes, and understand causes and inact prevention. Instead we get the easy and destructive response of reacting to demonize people, throw our hands skyward and hope some higher power will solve our problems or justify our destructive urges, then usually reacting kneejerk emotionally and compounding the problem, such as most wars.

Here is a list of the previous chances to learn and change regarding murders in US schools -

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4371403.stm

April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself

September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin

November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators

March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself

May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland

April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself

March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students

February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan

November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico

May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia

April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado

June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia

May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage

May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon

April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania

March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas

December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

Mark

Edited by entropy, 19 April 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB

#3 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Mark, Yes, I agree with you. Access to guns is FAR too easy ... and this maniac had a clear history of mental depression / aggression. There must be tighter laws put in place that prevent such obvious crackpots from getting their hands on guns. And I also agree that nutrition was probably not the main cause of the VT shooting ... it is only a small part of the overall picture of mental health. As you said ... it can play a role ... just as watching violent movies, playing violent video games and having access to sick internet websites for pediphiles (the shooter was also into that) ... AND top it off with easy access to guns. Mental illness has multiple causes ... but I still say that anyone who is physically (biochemically healthy) is far less likely to suffer from severe depression and therefore less likely to become violent. There are thousands of suicides on U.S. campuses every year and I tell you, part of that is because these kids feel so unwell in their own skin .... they seek comfort in drugs, alcohol, multiple sex partners and other addictions ... in an effort to soothe the physical and emotional pain. Pain that CAN, at least partially, be cured by better nutrition (dump the coke, donuts, fried trans fats, cigarettes and crazy sleep patterns ... and depression would be far less prevalent). I am also deeply saddened to see how many newspapers have plastered this maniacs photo on the front page of newspapers. Visual images have tremendous impact on human behaviour ... and there will undoubtedly be another sick mind out there who sees this guy as some sort of hero. We cannot just sit back in our comfortable homes without doing something ... saying something ... raising a ruckus. And my platform happens to be pounding the table for better nutrition and less advertising of junk food. I will also join you in pounding the table for tighter gun laws. Best to all, Corinne

Edited by calmcookie, 19 April 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#4 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

When will corpoate America spend their billions on healing the minds and bodies of our population?

Maybe in 100 years,....when primitive corporate America evolves.

Maybe then they will have taken us from primitive Fast Food(usually something fried withing 120 seconds) onto

something of more quality that will be demanded by customers with extended life expectations.

As e points to the numbers your point is still valid,..as NOW we are probably NOT the best fed country

as we've moved to extremes in Fast Food while the rest of the world has better than ever access to Natural Foods.

They are now eating more like the oldest Americans living, and NOT anything like young Americans.

I mean my own daughter only wants to drink Coke and eat Cheese and Bread,, its either pizza,

cheeseburgers, Fried chicken fingers, or grilled Cheese sandwiches. Not to mention all the synthetic snacks in a bag

conveniently found in what I call the cupboard of death.

Out of my control for sure, more of her mothers influences, but unless I take her out for a good Steak which

she also loves, her nutritional intake is pathetic,... heck even with the steak

thanks for sharing

Edited by Mr Dev, 19 April 2007 - 06:34 PM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

I like steak and pork ribs and I haven't killed anyone. Once I accidentally saved a young girl from drowning shortly after I ate a cheese burger. I don't own a gun. I don't like 'em. I'm thinking of getting one. PS: I used to watch Matt Dillion kill a bad guy every week on "Gunsmoke". And I played cowboys and indians. I just wasn't sure which I was. PSPS: On this date: April 19, 1993, 21 children under the age of 16 were killed in Waco Texas.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 April 2007 - 10:52 PM.

#6 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

No doubt that guns and junk food are both too readily available, but there is another element at play here. One think many of these shooters had in common is that they were outsiders, often laughed at, teased, bullied, marginalized for being of lower social or economic status, of foreign origin, etc. I noticed that both this guy and the Columbine shooters harbored special resentment for the social elite - "jocks", "cheerleader types", "rich kids", etc. I read this morning that the VT shooter seldom opened his mouth in high school, and when he did, people told him to "go back to China." While some of their isolation may have been their own doing, if others around them were more sympathetic instead of ridiculing, these kind of situations might not happen so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm *not* trying to blame the victims, as I'm sure most of them didn't even know, or barely knew, the killer and never did anything to him. But as a society, we need to look not only at what was wrong with him, but what is wrong with society itself, so that maybe a few of them can be saved before their anger builds up enough to lash out at innocent people.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

As Archie Bunker once said: "Remember when Able's brother hit him over the head with a Cain?" Maybe they blaimed society back then too. Or maybe it was their vegetarian diet. Or violent TV, movies and video games. Or too many big sticks. Or just maybe it was jealousy and envy. <_<

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 April 2007 - 12:57 PM.

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

How sad that there are some who would trivialize these horrble deaths with rhetoric and gibberish. No, its not about nutrition. No, its not about "gun control" No, its not about "video games" etc. etc. This was a menally ill person. Psychotic depression, probably schizophrenia. Period. These patients are extremely difficult to treat, they generally roam the streets, leave clinics, break up happy homes, etc. As a society we are unwilling to "institutionalize" them. Not sure if this is right or wrong, but it is a decision we reached in the sixties, when we discovered too many people had been simply "locked up". By the way, show me a "society" that "eats right" and has no violence in the culture? What were the German/Nazis eating? What were Cortez's men eating when they massacred the Aztecs? What was Ghengis Khan eating? etc. Or what "video games" were they watching. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#9 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

How sad that there are some who would trivialize these horrble deaths with rhetoric and gibberish.
No, its not about nutrition.
No, its not about "gun control"
No, its not about "video games"
etc. etc.

This was a menally ill person. Psychotic depression, probably schizophrenia. Period. These patients are extremely difficult to treat, they generally roam the streets, leave clinics, break up happy homes, etc. As a society we are unwilling to "institutionalize" them. Not sure if this is right or wrong, but it is a decision we reached in the sixties, when we discovered too many people had been simply "locked up".

By the way, show me a "society" that "eats right" and has no violence in the culture?

What were the German/Nazis eating?
What were Cortez's men eating when they massacred the Aztecs?
What was Ghengis Khan eating?
etc. Or what "video games" were they watching.

mm

The Holocaust survivor refused to remain passive.

What's the English Department's official frontpage reaction to the murder of thirty-two students just a few days ago? Here it is.

"We do not understand this tragedy 

We know we did nothing to deserve it

But neither does a child in Africa 

Dying of AIDS

Neither does the baby elephant watching his community 

Be devastated for ivory 

... Neither does the Mexican child looking 

For fresh water

... Neither does the Appalachian infant killed 

By a boulder 

Dislodged

Because the land was destabilized"
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#10 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

As long as we, as a society, continue to look at mental illness as an 'inferior illness' with social and moral implications of 'wrongness' many of the people who should receive help will not, merely to avoid being labelled as 'crazy'. Which would you feel safer/more comfortable spending an afternoon with, a cancer patient on chemo or a schizophrenic on anti-psychotic meds? The reality is that we fear mental illness. We need to get over it so those who need it can get help without a social scar being attached. Also, we need to understand that statements like "crazed with anger" are utterly meaningless and only add to that foolish sterotype. Anger doesn't make you crazy. A chenical imbalance is usually the culprit. Please don't add to the misinformation and distrust of the mentally ill by misusing (layman's) terminology.