• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,016 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

I'm with you. The dangerous breeds are simply too unpredictable and when they do go "off the reservation" the outcome is USUALLY tragic. It's sort of a like a grenade. If it goes off, it's not going to be pretty. This isn't like a .22 pistol. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#22 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Pit bulldogs are different:
"There have been several attempts to create the ultimate canine fighting machine, but it always comes back to the pit bull," said Det. Bob Beals,a dog-fighting expert with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price." LINK

Shoot 'em and they still come video

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 November 2009 - 09:41 PM.

#23 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Pit bull killed after gas station rampage

Pit bull kills horse

Pit bull attacks horses and kill one.

Two pit bulls kill a golden retriever

Pit bull brutally attacks helpful elderly woman

Police Shoot Pit Bull That Attacked K-9

Pit Bull Attacks Reporter

Woman Loses Arm in Pit Bull Attack

Pit Bull Attacks a Black Lab

Pitbull attacks owner 24 hours after adoption

Man hospitalized after pit bull attack

Pit Bull attack sends one woman to the hospital

5-year-old Boy Recovering After Pit Bull Attack

3 Injured By Pit Bull In Maryland
"I found part of my father's face right about here."

Common thread: "Everybody loves this dog. He's very friendly"

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 November 2009 - 10:05 PM.

#24 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question.

#25 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Why is it we never hear these pit bull advocates (oh, he'd NEVER attack a child, or another animal") talk about how wonderful it is to have a pet wolf?

What, too obvious?

#26 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

I can just hear the family now:
"These dogs were so friendly and loved the baby."
Because who would leave a baby near bad dogs?

Infant mauled to death by dogs is identified

By AP Wire Services
Published: 3/10/2010 7:19 AM
Last Modified: 3/10/2010 7:19 AM

PERKINS, Okla. — The state Medical Examiner's Office is releasing the name of an 8-month-old boy who was mauled to death by dogs near Perkins.
A spokeswoman for the medical examiner says Justin Lopez died of blunt force trauma to the head during the attack Monday. The attack occurred on Iowa Tribe land near Perkins.
Tribal Administrator Stephanie Ramsey says two adult dogs attacked the infant after the animals were brought inside for shelter from the rain.
Ramsey says the dogs were given to the family the day before the attack.
She declined to say what breed the animals are.
LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 March 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#27 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,016 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

Turns out, the dogs were Rotts. I note in the comments there was at least one person saying it's not the breed. Riiight. So, how come it's almost always rotts or pits that maul people in urban areas? (up north, it's often huskies, but that's as much owner fault as breed). I know experienced and very tolerant dog lovers who enjoy the big guard breeds, but who find the rotts and the pits too unpredictably aggressive. I'm not sure what the solution really is, but I would posit licensing, insurance, and training is probably a good place to start. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#28 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Turns out, the dogs were Rotts.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

#29 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,016 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

This is exactly the case. It's like most dogs are like not wearing seat belts but pits and rotts are like not wearing a helmet when riding a motor cycle. A typical accident most likely won't kill you in the car if you're not wearing your belt, but a typical motorcycle accident probably will, or worse. A pit's not LIKELY to bite you, but when he does it's going to be bad. You don't get second chances. That's what these folks need to know. Most are too stupid/irrational to figure it out, too. Of course, the typical pit owner thinks that they can win the lottery with a "system". M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#30 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Pit Bulls are OK in New York City but Salt is dangerous!

Because they are so cute!
Posted Image

Unless they suddenly decide to bite.
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 14 March 2010 - 04:50 PM.