Want ads unanswered

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#11 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

The problem I have with McD's is that they have a "get the kids while they are early" mentality. These kids grow up on McD and then they stick with it and become obese. ever woner why you like the stuff you grow up with, like your aunts soup. Food is addictive and tastes are acquired through experience. I hope McD's changes their food on offer. In a way its already too late and will take many years to change.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#12 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:40 AM

You cannot blame restaurant chains for obesity. You cannot blame cigarette companies if you smoke. You cannot blame breweries if you choose to drink a beer, you cannot blame NBC if you choose to watch sit coms at night. You cannot blame MAD magazine if you choose to read a comic book. I am acutely aware how hard it is to change behavior. No one says its easy. But its not impossible. When a person is ready, and has been given honest information, they can take the steps necessary to change habits. I tell my patients everday: "You can leave the office right now and drive to the corner grocery and buy a twinkie or go for a walk. You can buy a pack of smokes, or go for a walk. You can pop a beer, or go for a walk. Its your choice.... what are you going to do? Now, not tomorrow. In the next 10 minutes. What are you going to choose to do?" mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#13 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

You cannot blame restaurant chains for obesity. You cannot blame cigarette companies if you smoke. You cannot blame breweries if you choose to drink a beer, you cannot blame NBC if you choose to watch sit coms at night. You cannot blame MAD magazine if you choose to read a comic book.
mm

Well for once I totally agree with EVERYTHING you have said above. :cheer:

The problem I have with McD's is that they have a "get the kids while they are early" mentality. These kids grow up on McD and then they stick with it and become obese.

Who took the Kids there? Who gave them money? Guess who had the poor "mentality? <_<
:cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#14 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

LOL, if "Just say no" was advice that worked, it would be a total disaster for the medipharma industrial complex. Meanwhile, about jobs: Running off the illegals has serious inflationary implications, but racism has its price. Does anybody think that illegal WASP Canadians wouldn't be allowed to pick apples?

#15 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

I have two friends that are obese. One of them is obese cause of poor eating habits and over eating. But the other one is not. I have no clue why she's obese but she has been that way since she was a little girl. Her parents were both obese. She watches everything she eats. And she swims daily. Tons of medical tests have been done. But there's been no solution found. She is considering the surgery but is frightened by the complications that can happen. I can't imagine what it's like to live her life. It's heart breaking and undeserved.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#16 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

You cannot blame restaurant chains for obesity. You cannot blame cigarette companies if you smoke. You cannot blame breweries if you choose to drink a beer, you cannot blame NBC if you choose to watch sit coms at night. You cannot blame MAD magazine if you choose to read a comic book.

I am acutely aware how hard it is to change behavior. No one says its easy. But its not impossible. When a person is ready, and has been given honest information, they can take the steps necessary to change habits.

I tell my patients everday: "You can leave the office right now and drive to the corner grocery and buy a twinkie or go for a walk. You can buy a pack of smokes, or go for a walk. You can pop a beer, or go for a walk. Its your choice.... what are you going to do? Now, not tomorrow. In the next 10 minutes. What are you going to choose to do?"

mm

I think you can blame them because people are all influenced more than you think by the marketing machine.

Smoking is highly addictive. Heroin is too. If heroin was available and was marketed then many peolpe would get hooked. The fact is it isnt allowed. Cigarrettes are as addictive as heroin, but only the nicotine, and people can still function on it, so it is allowed.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#17 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

I agree, Tor. Just because no one stops them, does not absolve purveyors from responsibility for their actions. (When I was in college there was always a student who was supplied with cases of Marlboro 4-packs, to hand put to all students. Nobody stopped him.)

Edited by selecto, 27 August 2007 - 10:01 AM.

#18 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

Yes, fast food marketing has its pull. It will bring in the weak minded and weak willed. and they will bring their children. It's a cycle of laziness as well as a lack of time to fix a healthy meal for yourself and/or your family.

Yes, fast food tastes good and some people are more susceptible than others (via psychological, genetic predispositions, etc.) to the draw of good tasting food that makes them fat, whether or not it is good for them. BUT, it is exactly these people that need not just the will to moderate their intake, but a greater will than the rest of us who do not demonstrate the behaviour.

No one's saying it's not difficult, no one's saying it's not harder than others have it-- but it is exactly what needs to be done to reduce obesity. EAT LESS FA(S)TTY FOODS. EAT HEALTHY. EXERCISE. The recipe is the same for everyone, just in different ratios.

Unless you're on the other side of the coin and you're genetically predisposed to be skinny. Then we all hate you.

#19 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Mental illness is a bigger problem than obesity or homicide. Start a thread on mental illness and see how many replies you get. Righteous indignation is it's own reward.
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#20 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

I believe that government watchers should be posted everywhere.
Restaurants, grocery stores, bars, liquor stores, toy stores, video game stores, car dealerships...everywhere.

Then THEY could decide what we can have, what we can eat, what we can wear, what we can drive, what we can do.

Maybe they could even be posted in each room of of our house to make sure we have the proper light bulbs, toothpaste, that we brush properly and floss and that we only use one sheet of toilet paper.
They could weigh us each hour and send in a report.
They could make sure that we are not drawing pictures of guns or playing "tag" at school.
They could check our thermostats, toilets, closets and our beds.
They could check our cabinets and refrigerators to make sure we eat nothing but tofu.

Evidently we can't do it ourselves.

But I bet the black market for cheeseburgers would skyrocket!
They would replace crack houses overnight with the drive thru window.

In the meantime, where will we get all of those government workers?
Hell, we can't even find people to flip burgers!
:lol:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 August 2007 - 10:53 AM.