• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

Apparently 1 in about 100 American boys are now diagnosed with autism. The number has grown steadily over the years. A statement by the CDC (Center for disease control) recently said that they "Simply do not know whether vaccines could be causing autism" ... and that "more research in this area is being done." Many mothers of autistic children have reported a sudden and dramatic change in behaviour, immediately following vaccination. Now don't shoot the messenger ... I'm only reporting the story. No need to send me all the stats of how many lives we've saved with vaccines. Just letting you know what was said ... everyone is free to come to their own conclusions. One thing is certain ... the disorder is devastating to families ... and results in about an 80% divorce rate. Best to all, C.C.

Edited by Guru Dudette, 19 September 2007 - 04:04 PM.

#2 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Apparently 1 in about 100 American boys are now diagnosed with autism. The number has grown steadily over the years. A statement by the CDC (Center for disease control) recently said that they "Simply do not know whether vaccines could be causing autism" ... and that "more research in this area is being done."

Many mothers of autistic children have reported a sudden and dramatic change in behaviour, immediately following vaccination.

Now don't shoot the messenger ... I'm only reporting the story. No need to send me all the stats of how many lives we've saved with vaccines. Just letting you know what was said ... everyone is free to come to their own conclusions.

One thing is certain ... the disorder is devastating to families ... and results in about an 80% divorce rate.

Best to all, C.C.

30-40 bucks per school age kid...big money for the pharmas..
Load em up with Mercury...give a few % autism...now they need more drugs....
and parents need em too....its genious really...

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

vaccination does not cause autism. This kind of talk leads to dead children and is irresponsible. We've been vaccinating since the days of Polio. Smallpox is eradicated. Where was the autism 60 - 70 years ago? There is absolutely no proof of vaccines causing autism. On the other hand, there is ample proof of the millions of lives saved. Stop supporting maniacs by spreading their irresponsible words. What is to be gained by this? Bring back polio and smallpox and diptheria? mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

Oprah had another guest that jumped up and down on her couch and claims that psychiatry is a pseudoscience.

Edited by stocks, 18 September 2007 - 08:44 PM.

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#5 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

The CDC adamantly denies the link between vaccine and autism. The statement at the beginning of this thread is simply untrue.

Here are some valid links:

http://en.wikipedia....ine_controversy

http://www.cdc.gov/v.../whatifstop.htm

http://www.k12academ...logy_autism.htm

mm

#6 Guru Dudette

Guru Dudette

Prince of Dorkness

• Admin
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

Just remember that Oprah's only goal is to increase ratings. She's not out there to tell the truth or have guests that tell the truth.

It's Entertainment, kids, and you'llbe better off remembering that.

I wouldn't get my news from Jon Stewart, either.
"I'd rather be vaguely right than precisely wrong." J.M.Keynes

#7 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

For years, the scientific evidence has been accumulating. The latest, published this week, once again showed that thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative long used in childhood vaccines, does not cause the neurological disorders associated with the U.S. autism epidemic.

In fact, scientists at the California Department of Public Health demonstrated that in the years since nearly all thimerosal was removed from vaccines in 2001, the rate of autism has continued to rise there. Had thimerosal been the culprit, those numbers should have decreased.

By 1999, some government scientists were concerned that infants might be getting too much mercury. As a precautionary measure, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics asked pharmaceutical companies to remove thimerosal from vaccines.

Still, according to Dr. Paul A. Offit, the infectious diseases chief at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, doctors kept insisting that parents not worry about the safety of vaccines.

But the firestorm came. "Many parents, frightened by a sudden change in policy, reasoned that thimerosal was targeted because it was harmful - and their faith in the vaccine infrastructure was shaken," Offit wrote in a September issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

The result: worried parents, unvaccinated kids and more expensive vaccines.

http://reason.com/bl...how/124346.html
-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Science studies items of importance using the scientific method, cross examination, open trials, confirmation, meetings attended by scientists, books, journals, etc. If something works its works. If something is true its true. If something is bad, it is bad. Hystericals make "claims" based on hunches and are able to con their fellow man for long periods of times regarding many issues. So it goes. That isn't to say that unethical toy makers slip some lead by, or unethical drug makers slip some questionable products past the FDA from time to time, but truth eventually wins out. The sad part about the vaccine issue is that innocents, in this case the children, were denied life-saving therapy by nut-job suspicious parents. There's the tragedy. And don't worry. It won't lead to more expensive vaccinces. Most vaccines should and will be free under any "universal health plan". Vaccinating the masses against ancient preventable disease is a good thing. Another HUGE review of the safety and issues of the vaccine dilemma was published this week. Let me know if you'd like the link. I lost another patient of mine this week whose parents were christian scientists and did not allow him to get penicillin as a kid, so he developed rheumatic heart disease. Ended up destroying his heart valves. We got him a valve replacement as an adult but the toll caught up. He died in his fifties after a tough life. All because of not using 2 dollars worth of penicillin. All because of some "belief" .....okay, I know, its a "free" country yadda yadda... but the "freedom" was not afforded to the child who, at the time, was too young to make the decision for himself..... mm

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Call me cynical, but I smell a rat when it comes to "autism" as well as "ADD". I'm thinking that there's too many excuses to be made with both "diagnoses" and there are too many folks willing to buy into them...and maybe SELL into them too, if you get my drift. Kids have quite a lot of variability in their behaviors as they go through various developmental phases. What used to be considered normal variation now gets diagnosed as a "disorder". Well, as a mild dyslexic myself, I know how incompetent the educational system can be at even recognizing simple problems (even bad eyesight---took my wife over a year to realize that she wasn't bad at math, just couldn't see the black board). A proper diagnosis of these fuzzy "behavioral problems" is hard, but prescribing and labeling is easy. I've seen a number of ADD kids and in most cases they seem much more in need of some good parenting, exercise, and consistency than drugs. As for autism...I dunno. I had visions of rocking non-functional kids, but I often see what appears to be mildly shy but healthy and happy kids instead. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

That brings us to Kennedy who seems to revel in his profound scientific ignorance.

In a June 20, 2005 Rolling Stone article entitled “Deadly Immunity”, he wrote, “It was only after reading the [testimony of a Centers for Disease Control epidemiologist at a closed door government meeting], studying the leading scientific research and talking with many of the nation’s pre-eminent authorities on mercury that I became convinced that the link between Thimerosal and the epidemic of childhood neurological disorders is real.”

Kennedy’s article had so many significant inaccuracies that Rolling Stone was forced to append to it five paragraphs of corrections.

Undeterred, two years later Kennedy wrote an article entitled “Attack on Mothers.”

Recounting the onset of autism in a 2-year old, Kennedy wrote, “After hearing that story a couple dozen times, a rational person might do some more investigation. That’s when one encounters the overwhelming science -- hundreds of research studies from dozens of countries showing the undeniable connection between mercury and Thimerosal and a wide range of neurological illnesses.” Kennedy went on to accuse the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the pharmaceutical industry of “ginning up” studies “designed to disguise the link between autism and Thimerosal.”

So Mr. Kennedy, is the California Department of Health also a member of the vast Thimerosal conspiracy?

There may be some ideological overlap between Kennedy’s anti-Thimerosal rantings and his jihad against coal-fired electric plants whose emissions include small amounts of mercury.

He recently blogged about the “calamitous externalized costs” of coal, including “global warming…dead forests and sterilized lakes from acid rain, poisoned fisheries in 49 states and children with damaged brains and crippled health from mercury emissions, millions of asthma attacks and lost work days and thousands dead annually from ozone and particulates.”

It’s quite possible that Kennedy chooses to exploit the Thimerosal-autism controversy in order to broaden his base of support for his anti-coal/global warming agenda. Anti-Thimerosal parents groups have proven to be extremely passionate about their cause and they would be a formidable force were they to campaign against coal-fired electricity with the same zeal as they did with Thimerosal.

Though use of Thimerosal has for the most part ended, its vindication is not merely of academic interest. It should serve as yet another data point against Kennedy and others who foment panic and urge a rush-to-action based on flimsy facts and misdirected anger.

http://www.cei.org/g...n/019,06344.cfm
-- -